✍ Welcome Alphonse Areola

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Re: ✍ Alphonse Areola

Post by prophet:marginal »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:55 pm Might he get a chance of a league start this weekend?
I think Watkins might expose a weakness in coming for crosses, to be honest.

Fabianski for me.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

prophet:marginal wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:19 pm I think Watkins might expose a weakness in coming for crosses, to be honest.

Fabianski for me.
I guess you balance his much quicker reflexes up against the cross ball weakness. I would like to see him get a start just to test him.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2747 likes
Total likes: 1776 likes

Post by DublinDave »

I like him, only stumbling block for me is the fact he's on a €175k a week wage at PSG... (£150k ish)
We're only paying half his wages, (I assume), while he's
on loan...
He was great against Man City mid week & I hope to see more of the same but unless he's willing to sign for us on 75/80k pw tops I'd move on to other targets tbh...
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

DublinDave wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:30 pm I like him, only stumbling block for me is the fact he's on a €175k a week wage at PSG... (£150k ish)
We're only paying half his wages, (I assume), while he's
on loan...
He was great against Man City mid week & I hope to see more of the same but unless he's willing to sign for us on 75/80k pw tops I'd move on to other targets tbh...
I would imagine that would have been discussed before he came on in a loan to buy deal.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1335 likes
Total likes: 796 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

I think Moyes has told them that Fabianksi gets the league games and Areola gets the cups. The way we're going, I'm not sure who's coming out best with that though.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Having a great goalkeeper is so important and I think he is very very good, in the Ederson and Allison mould. It is a real coup to have him.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Vienna wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:06 pm Having a great goalkeeper is so important and I think he is very very good, in the Ederson and Allison mould. It is a real coup to have him.
He is. He is not just a shot stopper, like so many goalkeepers. That's what most people, including a great managers and coaches see when in the market for a keeper, him leaping and diving around his goal, blocking shots. Adrian, is the perfect example of a shot stopper, but the rest of his goal keeping, decidedly dodgy
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1186 likes
Total likes: 928 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

The position is Fabianski's to lose. To fair he seems to have upped his game in response.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Vienna wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:06 pm Having a great goalkeeper is so important and I think he is very very good, in the Ederson and Allison mould. It is a real coup to have him.
He's good but come on!
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I’d stick with Fabianski in the League for now. In the last 2 games he hasn’t done a lot wrong. And I don’t like changing a settled defence, which we have with 2 consecutive League clean sheets.

Areola’s time in the Premier League will come. With the injuries Fab has picked up in the past 2 seasons he’s bound to pick up another injury. And I don’t think Areola will be too fazed with the lack of Premier League minutes. You know what Moyes is like. He probably told Areola what the situation would be like and how he’d have to fight for his place. Areola will equally know Fabianski isn’t getting any younger. So has a better chance of playing here then he ever did at PSG.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

Has it come from one missed attempt at a cross that he is crap at crosses?

Is he really on 175k a week? Fck me.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

It is more than just one attempt. Very similar v Man Utd as Genk. Concede either of those and the game changes. He does look susceptible at present to the high ball in a way Fab does not, I very much doubt you would have seen him claiming that cross 16 yards out v Spurs that Fab did and settled the crowd down.

Areola has had one good game and a couple not so good, see no reason to change at present absent a Fab injury.
carnage

Post by carnage »

Didn’t Fabianski basically throw the ball in to the net unopposed at Newcastle last season?
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

Areola was the best keeper in the PL last season.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

carnage wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:25 pm Didn’t Fabianski basically throw the ball in to the net unopposed at Newcastle last season?
No. He spilt a corner in a crowded 6-yard box.
carnage

Post by carnage »

Vic_Watson wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:01 pm No. He spilt a corner in a crowded 6-yard box.
I exaggerated re throwing it in to his own bet but it was a regulation catch.
GPW
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by GPW »

prophet:marginal wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:19 pm I think Watkins might expose a weakness in coming for crosses, to be honest.

Fabianski for me.
Strange comment as Fabinaski pretty much doesn’t come for crosses. He’s been a good keeper for us but his generally rooted to the line approach is a big weakness.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

We must have one of, if not THE strongest goalkeeping depth in the league. I can’t think of too many teams who have as good options as Fabianski and Areola?
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

So, what was everyone’s thoughts on Genk’s opening goal last night? Should Alphonse have saved it? Or was he a little bit unlucky with his positioning?

I personally thought he should’ve saved it. And it was a shame. As other than that I thought for the 2nd game running he had a very good game. He pulled off some great saves in the 1st half and I thought he even handled the crosses a little bit better. He stayed on his line for any he believed he wouldn’t get to and managed to punch out the crosses he could reach.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2699 likes

Post by sendô »

It's funny, when he first came in many were calling for Fabianski to be dropped immediately, but if anything Fab has improved whilst Areola isn't quite looking 100% yet. He certainly should have done better with their first goal.