West Ham Utd 2 Middlesbrough 1 (23/10/05)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

......although funnily enough, today's fairly pedestrian game pace-wise probably would've suited him better from the start anyway[/quote]

Totally agree.
Zamora missed a sitter first half.
Teddy would've stuck it away....easy.
stockwell pete
Yellow card - flaming

Post by stockwell pete »

Marky wrote:Etherington played better today but he still gives the ball away too much for me I would have him on the bech for Liverpool. sheringhams is a good sub but lets not start him.
I am convinced we need to play much tighter away and have a more robust look to our team
Yes, I think 4-4-1-1 would suit us away from home in our toughest matches with Yossi playing just behind Marlon.
Boogers Caravan Blues

Post by Boogers Caravan Blues »

Just got back from the game. Apart from the first 10 minutes I thought we were quality. The catalyst was Yossi lob of the Boro keeper that just drifted wide.

If that boring git Maclaren is complaining about the 2nd goal is he then going to admit that they should never had a corner for their goal. That evens things up. Their one danger player was Madieta - I remember him from his Valancia days - I was scared he was going to pull something out. Luckily nothing happened.

Thought the players were brillant - the one weak link was Ethrington. I would love to see him get the bit between his teeth one day. I suppose the problem is we're comparing him to the Konch - he was brillant once again.

Reo Captain for permanent Captain - top main along side Yossi, Anton and Danny G.

Roll on Liverpool - can this year we do them -
Romford Iron

Post by Romford Iron »

Not long been in myself.

Gabbs and Anton were immense today, hard to call for which one to get MOM, but I'll go for Gabbs.

Matty again looked off the pace, and I'm quite suprised to see high ratings for NRC today, I thought he was pretty woeful.

Each to their own!!! :wink:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

bonehead wrote:
I thought he looked like he always has looked......he did a couple of good things, but generally when he received the ball he didn't look like he wanted it.....and he also bottled it again on a number of occasions......notably right at the end of the first half when the ball was rolling across the penalty spot and he failed to act when he was the closest west ham player.....and again when he got injured in the second half, as he bottled out of a challenge
Indeed. He was better than recently, but I don't remember him beating his man all game :?

He did link up very well with Konchesky though.

Zamora worked hard, and if the ball had been on his left rather than his right he would have stuck it away.

Harewood looked a bit out of sorts to me (and i'm a bit of a fan) in the first half, but was much better in the 2nd half.

Mullins did his job but still gives the ball away far too much.

Reo Coker did well and got in a great position for the disallowed goal.

Repka did ok, but made a couple of mistakes that could have been costly. Good to see him getting forward and whipping crosses in though.

Teddy did a great job from the bench, but i don't think he would have been as effective if he started.

Konchesky, Anton and Gabbidon were very good (Gabbidon being my MoTM)

Hislop coped well and showed he is decent cover.

Oh and Yossi is just a different class to the rest of the team.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Never went over the line for our 2nd

Nice change for us to get a touch....
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

bonehead wrote: I thought he looked like he always has looked......he did a couple of good things, but generally when he received the ball he didn't look like he wanted it.....and he also bottled it again on a number of occasions......notably right at the end of the first half when the ball was rolling across the penalty spot and he failed to act when he was the closest west ham player.....and again when he got injured in the second half, as he bottled out of a challenge

if I was Pardew I would look to be replacing him. his body language is all wrong. I am sure he will do a few good things here and there......but based on his contributions so far, if he is still in the starting line up in two years time then I doubt we'll have progressed much

for me Boro were the worst team we've played so far......pleased with the result but we made hard work of it and at times did some very silly things that would have been punished against better quality opposition

nice to see Sheringham play the role that's been crying out for him.......coming on from the bench to add a bit of quality when required......although funnily enough, today's fairly pedestrian game pace-wise probably would've suited him better from the start anyway

agree with all of that!
Doubting Tomas

Post by Doubting Tomas »

stockwell pete wrote: DT, can't you get nuffink right? :lol: Tommy had a really good game . . . some of his passing and crossing was excellent. :wink:

Did you have your regulation communist glasses with you today comrade ..???......cos from where I was sitting,(DM upper, dreadful atmos but good view), he was back to his out of his depth worst.
one fine morning....

Post by one fine morning.... »

Joe C wrote:
You must have been watching a different Etherington to me mate. Worst palyer on the pitch in claret and blue by a country mile
if you're looking for the "worst player", then he'd probably qualify on today's excellent showing but still a good contribution (if you get my meaning)...i felt he never stopped trying and also gave us a good option in trying to stretch an immobile middlesbrough midfield. he looked lively at times and does a great job with konchesky in tight areas. yes, there's question marks over whether he's the long-term choice for us on the left but i felt credit was due. game of opinions but i know what im talking about! :wink:
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

one fine morning.... wrote:i felt he never stopped trying
never stopped trying ? we are talking about Etheerington here right ?

he does stop trying.....all too often......isn't that exactly what the complaint about him is ?

let's pick one example......the incident at the very end of the frst half when he couldn't be bothered to make a proper effort to clear a ball that was running across our penalty spot. did you see that one ? does that come into the never stopped trying bracket ? if so, the word 'never' simply doesn't apply

I know that's just one thing, but it was a major thing given that it was in a very dangerous position, not only that but there were many other times when he also couldn't be bothered......to be fair, I wouldn't want to completely slate him for today's performance, he did a few good things, but to get credit he has got to try a lot harder for my money....we need players giving close to 100%......I'd say he gave about 60 % today
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

The whole game seemed a bit flat to me today, crowd, players everything. Probably somethign to do with the Sunday afternoon kick off but i haven't heard the ground as quite as it was today all season.

The game, I thought we deserved the result and should never have needed that second goal if we'd stuck away half of our chances Yossi, Mullins, Zamora were all guilty of missing quality chances and apart from the first 10 - 15 minutes we never looked in too much trouble. Gabbidon and Ferdinand had Maccarone and Yakubu in their pockets and if Boro rely on Mendieata at all this season based on todys performance they're ****ed.

Thought our best player was again Konchesky, worst probably Harewood, although Etherington and Reo Coker were out of sorts again but no one had an absolute mare.
PATISH

Post by PATISH »

cockney hammer wrote:

agree with all of that!
I also agree with all of that!
Claretandblueyank
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Claretandblueyank »

Teddy was brilliant and I must say that it suits him to be a sub at this point...zamora was decent.

Aside from the giveaways I really have to give lots of credit to Mullins as I thought he was brilliant today. I think we notice his mistakes because he is always after the ball.

Yossi is one of the best west ham signings of all time
Rich WHUFC

Post by Rich WHUFC »

I thought Mullins was v good yesterday and Zamora is slowly convincing me,

I think Matt showed some signs of progress and that's something but once again can't help but think it would help if people would support him rather than waiting for his next mistake so they can slag him off…

Anton and Danny looked ace
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

Rich WHUFC wrote:but think it would help if people would support him rather than waiting for his next mistake so they can slag him off…
in what way ? do you mean during a game ?

I've not been aware of any crowd barracking of him yet......have you ?
Andy

Post by Andy »

stockwell pete wrote: DT, can't you get nuffink right? :lol: Tommy had a really good game . . . some of his passing and crossing was excellent. :wink:
Repka actually put in the cross of the game which shot just past Teddy and Yossi and would have been a fantastic goal.
Overall he looked a million times better than the last couple of games and got the SUper Tommy Repka chant in the second half for a great tackle and distribution of the ball.

Leave him alone, he is playing much better overall this season than last
Rich WHUFC

Post by Rich WHUFC »

yeah only during a game I mean. maybe it was just around me though, prob giving me a false impression,
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

Rich WHUFC wrote:yeah only during a game I mean. maybe it was just around me though, prob giving me a false impression,
totally agree that we should get behind the players during a game

most players probably have their hecklers, but don't think matty has any excuses for dragging his heels as regards general crowd abuse to date though