Ron Greenwood

A Forum in which to remember those KUMB members and other West Ham United family who have sadly left us.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Southend Hammer

Post by Southend Hammer »

The people who run the game make one stupid decision after another. There is zero Justification for giving George Best a minutes silence and not Ron Greenwood. The cult of celebrity knows no bounds in this country.
Ironchief

Post by Ironchief »

Ron Greenwood the unsung hero of english football, who created a style of attacking football which we refer to as the west ham way, the godfather of the academy who will be remembered by us the fans.

Thankyou Ron
chandlm

Post by chandlm »

What a Legend. Just think without Ron, Hurst may never have been at the world cup to score the hattrick that won it for England.

West Ham will forever be endebted to him for his vision. It's a shame I have only seen him and the team of the sixties on Video.

RIP :worthy: RON and Thank you.
Boogers Caravan Blues

Post by Boogers Caravan Blues »

Vic_Watson wrote:I've read a few niggly obituaries in the papers today - focussing on his relatively weak record with England. What they fail to appreciate is that Engladn had only one World Class player during his time and that was Sir Trev. They also fail to appreciate just what Ron did for West Ham (and thus England) by developing the Holy Trinity and bringing to English football much more than the Up-and-at-'em tactics beloved by English teams of the 50s.

A legend and will not be forgotten.
What about Keegan he was twice voted European Footballer of the Year?
Boogers Caravan Blues

Post by Boogers Caravan Blues »

On Googlefight Ron totally hammered Sir Matt Busby.

But then lost to Bill Nicholson.
Unnar

Post by Unnar »

Ron was manager when I became a West Ham fan 30 years ago. I was to young to appreciate his contribution then, it was probably the Cup win in '75 or the good looking kit (even on black and white TV!) that did it for me. It has been a rough ride, even on this remote island in the North Atlantic I choose to call home. But if something has inspired my loyalty down the years, it's the West Ham way of playing football. And that's Ron's legacy.

RIP
Bromleyboy
Location: ....waiting for the lift so I can go to the next level
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Bromleyboy »

Up the Junction wrote: More now added.
cheers UTJ - a gentleman and a scholar
Claire
Mother

Post by Claire »

Do we know yet which clubs did and which didn't commemorate Ron's death at the games today? Heard no mention of it on 5 Live (was at work so couldn't watch TV)
DJ Marls

Post by DJ Marls »

Thank you Ron

R.I.P
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

I don't know if has been mentioned before but Ron also was the first manager to get England to a final since 1962, we didn't qualify in 1966 as we were hosts, in 1970 we qualified as holders. He took England out of the shambles that was the "Revie era". In my eye he helped create the England Robson inherated and took onto the finals in 1990. He also had a decent record as manager of England.

I first heard of him when reading a eulogy of him in a football book when he was General Manager of the Hammers, I was too young to realise why he was being praised and what he had done, but even then the article showed he was something special in English football. I can't see why he's not getting the deserved respect from the "Premier League", and the so called "hacks".

I hope we show the world "the west Ham way" on Monday as a tribute to Ron and give Brum a stylish trashing under the lights.
Stevo
Yellow card - abuse
Location: At the World Cup cheering on me main man, Shakaa Hissslop! He dunt smooorke da reeeefaa!

Post by Stevo »

Claire wrote:Do we know yet which clubs did and which didn't commemorate Ron's death at the games today? Heard no mention of it on 5 Live (was at work so couldn't watch TV)

All I know is the Reading, Fulham and Portsmouth games (although may have been just for LuaLua's tragic loss, but still minutes silence nonetheless).

Don't know of anymore.. :(
JR44
Has liked: 4 likes

Post by JR44 »

Vale Ron Greenwood.

He was manager when I started to follow the Irons as youngster - and probaby the main reason I chose West Ham over Liverpool,Arsenal and Leeds in those days.

Forthose who'llbe there - Please pay respects in my stead on Monday night.
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

I feel like ranting and swearing over this one but I think to myself that wasn't Rons style. He was a gentleman and a real thinker. God bless you, you created a style and reputation that many envy. If the league don't deem you deserving enough of a minute silence, We will ensure that you get a proper one tomorrow or else Birmingham won't know what hit them.
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

I hope that they have Brooking and Hurst saying a few words before the game, as the club did so well for George Best.

An absolute disgrace that it was not observed by clubs on saturday.

Did Middlesbourgh?

Mcclarens part on the England set up and if he didn't make sure of it, then we know for sure the England Camp's an absolute joke.
PaulTheHammer

Post by PaulTheHammer »

The whole thing is very poor ranging from the customer 'care' of the PL to the decisions made by clubs in not observing it. We have respected silences for those that weren't connected to us, it's a shame others cannot do the same.

However, Ron himself would not have been bitter about this I'm sure and he wouldn't have wanted us to be. The very best we can do is to observe the silence tomorrow and then, during the whole game, cheer / shout / scream like mad in support of our team during the game.

Let's really create a magical atmosphere tomorrow night because that is what Ron would have loved.
Propercharlie

Post by Propercharlie »

My Dad chose West Ham for me 40 years ago and he made a great choice. The proper way to play football is to attack with skill and intelligence and to show proper respect to your opponents, to yourself and to the game and its laws. That was Ron Greenwood's way and it should always be the West Ham way.

Rest in peace Mr West Ham.
4everahammer

Post by 4everahammer »

Andy Gray on SS1 just said "It's a lack of respect on footballs behalf" that no ones taken part in a 1 minute silence. Normally i dont like him, but, well said Andy :thup:
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

Just sent an email to match of the day 2.

Suggest everybody does the same. :crest:
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

Propercharlie wrote:My Dad chose West Ham for me 40 years ago and he made a great choice. The proper way to play football is to attack with skill and intelligence and to show proper respect to your opponents, to yourself and to the game and its laws. That was Ron Greenwood's way and it should always be the West Ham way.

Rest in peace Mr West Ham.
Very well said that man! :thup:
westhamnil

Post by westhamnil »

Whats the e-mail for MOTD2?