West Ham Utd 0 Charlton Ath 0 (02/04/06)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

NE hammer

Post by NE hammer »

polar wrote:Mullins was MOTM for me.

There was a number of time he provided excellent defence cover and made life easy for Gabbs and Collins. He also made good use of the ball.
I must have been watching a different game cos I thought he was mediocre.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

An average game in which we never really got out of 2nd gear. I felt a West Ham side at full flow should have brushed Charlton aside and possibly put 3 or 4 past them, but we had to settle for a 0-0, and tbh no other result really looked possible

Hislop 5 - Not much to do, but what he did do worried me. Always looks suspect dealing with crosses despite his size, and mix up with Gabbs was largely his fault.

Ferdinand 6 - Had a good effort at near post just wide, and played quite well, but was clearly out of position, and kept wandering across into a CB position sub-conciously

Gabbidon 8 - Looked solid, never ****ing around with the ball, and remained composed when Hislop failed to come for a through ball

Collins 8 - Continues to shine, and enough to keep Anton out of the side. Amazing to think it was him who came in for Gabbs over christmas

Konchesky 7 - Good game from him in front of the booing Charlton fans, looked fairly solid at the back, and some good crosses.

Benayoun 7 - Not quite at his best, but looked like he could open the game up at times, and did well to hit a good shot on the turn which miht have rolled in on another day.

Mullins 9 - Another solid display from the man who always seems to go unnoticed. Tackled well, and played the easy ball.

NRC 6 - Some good tackles, disappointed in his shot in the first half which fell on his weaker left. Seems to be having a dip in form which hopefully wont continue.

Etherington 8 - Young seemed to nullify him for a little while but he did well to get back into it, doing what he does best - putting in some good crosses and earning corners.

Harewood 8 - Worked hard and didnt seem to fall over as much as usual, would have done better but for Chris Perry

Ashton 6 - Some good touches but never seemed in the game 100%. Might have faired better in the 2nd

Subs.

Teddy 7 - Usual instinctiveness in the box, and layed the ball off well

Zamora 7 - Great header which should have gone in, chased down balls and pressured, deserved longer IMO

Katan 6 - Not long enough to make a difference.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

WestHam4Life wrote:we need a goal..................oh thats a great idea lets take off ashton and marlon the two people who can score and replace them with katan and teddy 'just coz its his birthday' Sheringham.

Please, marlon was the only one who looked lively today and zamora when he came on.
Ashton did nothing though, had a half chance. Sheringham and Zamora did more than him when they came on, even Zamora, who had only been on the pitch for a lot shorter period than Ashton.
WestHam4Life

Post by WestHam4Life »

carnage wrote: Ashton did nothing though, had a half chance. Sheringham and Zamora did more than him when they came on, even Zamora, who had only been on the pitch for a lot shorter period than Ashton.
i no ashton didnt do much and i was glad to see him go off.........for zamora. But the fact he brought on sheringham did nothing to lift my confidence. Im convinced if bobby was on from half time we would have won that game.

Although ashton didnt do much i would rather him on there than teddy.
carnage

Post by carnage »

Teddy was far more effective than Ashton also.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 330 likes

Post by Major »

carnage wrote:Teddy was far more effective than Ashton also.

Still a **** though just a 40 year old one now!!

What Sunday did for me was made it clear that we want Charlton to do Boro in the quarter final.

With a fully vocal crowd and a bit of bite we would piss them.

I think AC 's comments about teams knowing how to play us is relevant as he basically went out to stop us and not beat us. Poor show all round Team, Fans and (for a change) that **** Jeremy.
carnage

Post by carnage »

i dont think Curbs point is relevant at all. If clubs dont know how to stop a newly promoted club by April then they never will. In the old days without videos and TV coverage of every game then yes, but not in this day and age.

They were slightly lucky to get a point, they offered very little in attack, Shaka had 1 save to make.
Major
%&!$

Post by Major »

carnage wrote:i dont think Curbs point is relevant at all. If clubs dont know how to stop a newly promoted club by April then they never will. In the old days without videos and TV coverage of every game then yes, but not in this day and age.

They were slightly lucky to get a point, they offered very little in attack, Shaka had 1 save to make.

I am sure thats what i said!! He did know how to stop us and your right they didnt attack much i think he came for a point and left with one.

Just coz i said Ted was a **** no need to get all stroppy :wink:
Southend Hammer

Post by Southend Hammer »

WestHam4Life wrote: i know ashton didnt do much and i was glad to see him go off.........for zamora. But the fact he brought on sheringham did nothing to lift my confidence. Im convinced if bobby was on from half time we would have won that game.

Although ashton didnt do much i would rather him on there than teddy.
Agreed, I think there is a lot of hype about Teddy because of his age but I much prefer to see Bobby come on. Teddy seemed to give the ball away with some errant passes.
Major
%&!$

Post by Major »

Southend Hammer wrote: Agreed, I think there is a lot of hype about Teddy because of his age but I much prefer to see Bobby come on.

I would rather see Steve Jones come on than that twat!
WestHam4Life

Post by WestHam4Life »

Major wrote:

I would rather see Steve Jones come on than that twat!
i dont know, did you see the masters last year :wink:
carnage

Post by carnage »

Major wrote:
I am sure thats what i said!! He did know how to stop us and your right they didnt attack much i think he came for a point and left with one.

Just coz i said Ted was a c*nt no need to get all stroppy :wink:
You should of said irelevant rather than relevant then. :lol:
BMU.WIC

Post by BMU.WIC »

In Teddy's defence there was one or two bits of good link-up play from him. However, the whole game screamed average performance. Average crowd, average refereeing, average commitment on the field, just, er, average... and the drab nil-all after I predicted a goalfest came true.

Feels like two points thrown away, but comforted by the fact we managed one.
Major
%&!$

Post by Major »

carnage wrote: You should of said irelevant rather than relevant then. :lol:
Alright alright

Beam me up snotty!!
carnage

Post by carnage »

:lol:
yabush

Post by yabush »

Deano is a better finisher than Marlon
but it's weird to see Deano did more link up job between the front and the midfield instead of Marlon
I think we should let someone give him the ball instead of he giving the ball to someone else
and he cannot hold up the ball for long
If only....
Location: Wondering why WHU is not on the thrillseekers list of the most extreme rollercoasters

Post by If only.... »

Weird game really. We had 17 chances according to the TV, and that sounds right, yet I was hardly out of the seat. Just never got going. Had we scored I fancied us to bury them.