What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

"The Trip", Norwegian film with subtitles on Netflix. Brilliant violent black comedy - reminded me of "An American Werewolf In London". Great stuff!
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:34 pm "The Trip", Norwegian film with subtitles on Netflix. Brilliant violent black comedy - reminded me of "An American Werewolf In London". Great stuff!
I agree it's a good film, I enjoyed it. Can't say it reminded me of that film though!
monkeyhanger
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by monkeyhanger »

smuts wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:23 pm The Beatles - Get Back

It won't be everyone's cup of tea but I'm really enjoying this.

McCartney knows he's being an obsessive control freak but admits he can't stop himself, Lennon is there in body only as he's away on Planet Smack, Harrison is coming up with great stuff but no-one is really interested (Lennon is openly derisory to I, Me, Mine) and Ringo sits there looking like droopy dog as he watches it all unfold.

The first episode alone is over 2 hours and 30 minutes long. Peter Jackson's arse must be moulded to his editing chair.
As a Beatles obsessive I’m loving this. Revelations for me so far was Lennon's condescension to Harrison when presented with ‘I Me Mine’, McCartney referring to Lennon as ‘the boss’ during the secretly taped discussion about Harrison’s temporary departure, Lennon smacked out of his face in the Peter Sellers encounter and Harrison’s obvious resentment at the others attitude toward the trip to Rishikesh to stay with the Maharishi.

I think you obviously need to be a Beatles nut to enjoy this though as it is exceptionally long.
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:39 pm As a Beatles obsessive I’m loving this. Revelations for me so far was Lennon's condescension to Harrison when presented with ‘I Me Mine’, McCartney referring to Lennon as ‘the boss’ during the secretly taped discussion about Harrison’s temporary departure, Lennon smacked out of his face in the Peter Sellers encounter and Harrison’s obvious resentment at the others attitude toward the trip to Rishikesh to stay with the Maharishi.

I think you obviously need to be a Beatles nut to enjoy this though as it is exceptionally long.
I'm about a third into the second episode and I'm really enjoying it too.

I love everything they did from Tomorrow never knows onwards but hardly touch anything prior now to be honest.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

I am 2/3 of my way through a show called Dopesick on Disney. Its a drama about how a big pharmaceutical company helped to push the opiod epidemic in America in pursuit of billions of dollars for profit and how it impacts everyday Americans. It's a good watch, although obviously totally depressing.
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3198 likes

Post by WCpete »

Part 1 of the Beatles Get Back. I'm enjoying it. It's slow, but in taking its time and letting conversations and segments play out for extended periods, you get a better understanding of where the four were mentally during the two week period, and why George up and left the band at the end of the episode. And I have to say, watching McCartney come up with a song, in this case Get Back, in real time by just noodling/ jamming was thrilling from a creative perspective. While the band is on break he starts messing around with his bass, actually playing it like a guitar, and the framework of the song appears after a few minutes. Very cool to see.

Also watched the South Park post covid special, which to me is approaching 'jumping the shark' territory.
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Severely hungover yesterday thanks to going out out for the first time in ages and ending up at a good old East End pub lock in and getting home at 4am. We moved about 50 ft the whole day. :oops:

So, cracked on with some recommendations after the football :

The Trip
Riders of Justice
The Vanishing
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 247 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Had a Disney+ film day.....Star Wars IX, Shang Chi and Black Widow followed by Get Hard on Amazon....not proud of this but they were entertaining at some level
bobby0303
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by bobby0303 »

Shtisel - an absolutely brilliant Israeli series on Netflix now. It's about a family of ultra-orthodox jews and their low stakes drama, but the writing and high level of acting really makes it. Sometimes the family drama and the humour reminds me of The Sopranos.

Really shows these people in a new light for me. You have to be happy reading subtitles though.
Estuary
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Estuary »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:39 pm As a Beatles obsessive I’m loving this. Revelations for me so far was Lennon's condescension to Harrison when presented with ‘I Me Mine’, McCartney referring to Lennon as ‘the boss’ during the secretly taped discussion about Harrison’s temporary departure, Lennon smacked out of his face in the Peter Sellers encounter and Harrison’s obvious resentment at the others attitude toward the trip to Rishikesh to stay with the Maharishi.

Watched the 1st and about an hour of the second ep. I am also a Beatles nut and have been waiting for this film since the film seeing Let It Be and owning the album.

As a documentary it is both brilliant and hugely flawed. The brilliance is that it misses nothing, the flaw is that director Michael Lindsay-Hogg is way beyond the fourth wall, influencing the events he is due to film, which undermines it's cinema verite credentials which the film was meant to be a work of. Lindsay-Hogg is also an annoying c u next Tuesday.

It's fascinating to see how utterly rudderless The Beatles are without either George Martin running the sessions or Brian Epstein to schedule and task them. McCartney is the driving force behind the project but has zero organisational or leadership skills, Lennon has but he's so deeply immersed in Yokoness and drugs and can't be arsed.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

OFT and CRS - thanks re Shetland info. I'm an old fashioned boy so going to get it on DVD - it's my birthday soon so can binge it over Christmas. Cheers chaps :newthumb:

Watched a very gentle (some might say boring - my wife for one :smiler: although she grew (see what I did there)? to like it too) programme called the Wild Gardener on the beeb. Irish fellow goes back to his ancestral one acre of land and over the course of two years turns it into a beautiful meadow, pond and woodland that attracts gazillions of wildlife. His dad was Ireland's first TV gardener and the contrast between his dad's neat rows of chrysanthemums and a very different way of looking at gardens is gently, that word again, made. An unrushed programme but a wonderful outcome for one man and the nature he enticed to come back to this little patch of Ireland.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1193 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Watched the latest series of Shetland over the weekend - lovely scenery, solid acting, interesting story - great stuff :newthumb:
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Estuary wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:03 am Watched the 1st and about an hour of the second ep. I am also a Beatles nut and have been waiting for this film since the film seeing Let It Be and owning the album.

As a documentary it is both brilliant and hugely flawed. The brilliance is that it misses nothing, the flaw is that director Michael Lindsay-Hogg is way beyond the fourth wall, influencing the events he is due to film, which undermines it's cinema verite credentials which the film was meant to be a work of. Lindsay-Hogg is also an annoying c u next Tuesday.

It's fascinating to see how utterly rudderless The Beatles are without either George Martin running the sessions or Brian Epstein to schedule and task them. McCartney is the driving force behind the project but has zero organisational or leadership skills, Lennon has but he's so deeply immersed in Yokoness and drugs and can't be arsed.
Everyone bangs on about the row between McCartney and Harrison but the scene where Lennon rips strips off Harrison’s "I, Me, Mine" was a real eye opener.

Things do improve in episode 2 but you're right about how rudderless they are. Most of the time is spent dicking about or working on McCartney's songs.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2410 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Crime. The Irvine Welsh adaptation.

Exceptional telly this. Gripping story, brilliant performances, all of Welsh’s signature tropes and flourishes. Dougray Scott is mesemerisingly good.

Highly recommended. :newthumb:
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

Morocco Mole wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:59 pm Crime. The Irvine Welsh adaptation.

Exceptional telly this. Gripping story, brilliant performances, all of Welsh’s signature tropes and flourishes. Dougray Scott is mesemerisingly good.

Highly recommended. :newthumb:
I started this yesterday, but couldn't get into it.

Will give it another go.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

I wondered about Macca's 'boss' comment when I heard it. John was speaking like the boss, more or less berating Paul for being controlling. The fact that John said that in the past and during these sessions both he and George had been reluctant to give input (to the point where they wouldn't comment at all) about Paul's songs because Paul would shut them down suggested to me that in practice Paul took the roll of the boss a fair amount of time.

Interesting point from Estuary about Lindsay-Hogg which upon reflection I think is true. Certainly for most of Part 1 while they're filming at Twickenham, he does try to influence the direction of the project over and over again, constantly inserting himself into most scenes. From that perspective it's enjoyable when the project loses direction and purpose and just goes the way it goes, the result of which is that the director becomes set dressing and his voice and opinion become irrelevant. Peter Jackson's 'fly on the wall' editing of Lindsay-Hogg's attempt at a 'fly on the wall' documentary is an interesting side plot. Whatever one thinks of Lindsay-Hogg's constant on screen presence, I have to at least give him props for capturing as much as he did on film.

As a footnote I also noticed last night that a quite young Alan Parsons was one of the engineers in the recording booth. I had no idea he had been involved.
Last edited by WCpete on Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OFT
Has liked: 3241 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:21 am Watched a very gentle (some might say boring - my wife for one :smiler: although she grew (see what I did there)? to like it too) programme called the Wild Gardener on the beeb. Irish fellow goes back to his ancestral one acre of land and over the course of two years turns it into a beautiful meadow, pond and woodland that attracts gazillions of wildlife. His dad was Ireland's first TV gardener and the contrast between his dad's neat rows of chrysanthemums and a very different way of looking at gardens is gently, that word again, made. An unrushed programme but a wonderful outcome for one man and the nature he enticed to come back to this little patch of Ireland.
We watched that too Dave. Just lovely TV.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2410 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

S-H wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:53 pm I started this yesterday, but couldn't get into it.

Will give it another go.
Stick with it bro. Best thing I’ve seen for ages.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

You mention Harrison's resentment at the others attitude toward the trip to Rishikesh, and I saw it too but thought it probably wasn't that big of a deal. I was just watching and interview with Ringo and George discussing John's killing. Must have been reasonably soon thereafter. George brings up Rishikesh in response and was obviously much more bothered by his bandmates attitudes than I thought. Still. 11 years later.

bigcarpchaser
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by bigcarpchaser »

Succession.
Am not feeling the forum love for this show, not one of the characters has a single redeeming feature. In fact, I’d like to punch the lot of the nasty bastards. Especially the dimwit husband of the sister, and the slimy cousin, and the little brother, and the dad.
Mrs likes it, I think I’ll fall asleep during the remaining episodes.