Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kludgehammer
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Re: Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

Post by Kludgehammer »

Finally caught up with Shangi Chi/10 rings - for the most part, I really enjoyed it - tremendous fight scenes, much more in the Jackie Chan arena than the normal Marvel explosive stuff, at least for the first half. Not sure the second half held together quite as well, and as ever, the Big Bad was pretty underwhelming - but I thought the performances from the cast were really good, and very nuanced portrayal, particularly Shang's father.

Really solid top half Marvel film for me.

Later edit: .... though a lot of the film's basis was uncomfortably close to the Iron Fist back story, although I know that's all lifted wholesale from earlier stories, it does mean there is a largely equivalent setting already in the Marvel cinema/tv world.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by smuts »

About half hour into Shang Chi. Yep...enjoying it so far.
simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by simonirons »

Eternals now the lowest rated Marvel out of the whole 20+

On the outset, it’s not looking great for them but still grossed close to a billion.

I suppose if it ever starts to look like it’s heading south, they’ll just wheel out Downey-Junior & Chris Evans.

If RDJ has another “hit” like DR Doolittle, he’ll probably be up for it.

On a separate note, bit gutted they’ve closed every Disney store in the UK except the flagship one at Oxford street.

My little one absolutely loved the Bluewater one. - Disney say people’s shopping habits have changed but I’ve never seen a quiet one. - maybe it’s just not making what Disney class as enough.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Yeah the ones at Lakeside and even Romford were always packed.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

smuts wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:22 pm Yeah the ones at Lakeside and even Romford were always packed.
Trafford Centre one in Manchester was rammed too, seems an odd decision, this time of year you'd be queuing to get in.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1241 likes
Total likes: 1650 likes

Post by last.caress »

Yeah, we're pretty pissed at the closure of the Lakeside branch of the Disney store. There are plenty of interesting-looking bits and pieces on the online store but it's been our experience that, sometimes, those items are beautiful pieces well worth the outlay, and sometimes they're overpriced tat and we'd genuinely be better off with the Disney-branded products out of Primark; but in order to successfully discern which is which, we need to see them, to feel them. We never went to Lakeside without stopping at the Disney store and, although we didn't make a purchase every time, more often than not we did. We have never made a purchase from their online store.

With apologies to Kludge and the thread's readership for the off-topic. :pray:
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Another mini-trailer from the upcoming Marvel She-Hulk series

wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:19 am Another mini-trailer from the upcoming Marvel She-Hulk series
Feeling a bit too saturated with all this now, there are too many shows and none of them (Wanda-vision aside) spark any interest from me or my daughter (we are watched all the films several times together.)

She's read about Eternals (well read, listened to Tik-Tok reviews) and has decided she is not bothered about this one. I'll wait for it to drop on the Disney+. Too much content and not enough quality by the looks of it.
simonirons

Post by simonirons »

Hard to disagree with that Wolfie
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3195 likes

Post by WCpete »

Shangi Chi's on Disney+ btw
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

WCpete wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:32 am Shangi Chi's on Disney+ btw
Along with 12 other IMAX enhanced versions of marvel films up to 26% more screen content for he scenes that have it. Watched Dr Strange and it alternated between standard and IMAX ratios depending on scene.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/marvel-im ... ney-early/
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Struggling with Shang chi. Hidden Tiger type of film. Although the star for me is his best friend sidekick with the new york voice. I think she is superb. I will try and unpress pause and carry on if I am in the mood.

I saw man of steel last night. It was okay non action scenes. The fight in the city was absolutely stupid. Destroying virtually every skyscraper, with everyone just looking up, mouths open with everything crashing down around them. ****ing run for cover you idiots.

I think Spiderman and Dr strange will be my go to when they come out. Sam Raimi is one of my favourite Directors. Add Brian de Palma and Spielberg to that list
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Not superheroes (apart from maybe their superheroic levels of substance consumption) but certainly comics (or comix, to be pedantic) related, coming soon to a screen/internet near you - The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers:

smuts

Post by smuts »

Shang Chi was really good. Marvel always do the comedy sidekick really well and Katy was brilliant.

Just over halfway through The Suicide Squad. Really enjoying it and it's miles better than the complete and utter train wreck which was the first one.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1784 likes

Post by hammers92 »

smuts wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:44 pm Just over halfway through The Suicide Squad. Really enjoying it and it's miles better than the complete and utter train wreck which was the first one.
James Gunn being allowed to make it a 15 definitely helped. It’s bonkers but the film knows what it is and who the audience are which I think makes it all the better.
simonirons

Post by simonirons »

wolf359 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:05 am Along with 12 other IMAX enhanced versions of marvel films up to 26% more screen content for he scenes that have it. Watched Dr Strange and it alternated between standard and IMAX ratios depending on scene.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/marvel-im ... ney-early/
Every once in a while, the Waterloo imax role out the Dark Knight for a limited run. - I’ve been to see it twice there now, absolutely incredible in imax. - the Sky Hook scene being up there with the best cinematography I’ve ever seen.
smuts

Post by smuts »

hammers92 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:04 pm James Gunn being allowed to make it a 15 definitely helped. It’s bonkers but the film knows what it is and who the audience are which I think makes it all the better.
Yep...enjoyed that. Completely bonkers but good fun.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 247 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Watched Shang-Chi and Suicide Squad yesterday.....one was great and one was a complete train wreck.

Loved Shang-Chi, far better than expected and glad I have the steelbook coming, Suicide Squad, however, was absolutely garbage for me. Aside from the Harley bits and the 'Nom, nom' lines I thought it was unfunny, and a complete mess of a film, not even John Cena in pants could redeem it. I think Gunn is believing his own hype after a brilliant GOTG, an ok GOTG2 and then gets to do this drivel and I see another GOTG is coming (really concerned)....sadly I have two steelbook versions of this and will definitely be moving them on.
smuts

Post by smuts »

What did you think of the first one? Now I thought was absolutely terrible.

Made me laugh when John Cena came on in his blue Lacoste polo as I was wearing the exact same one...he did fill it out slightly better than me.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 247 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

smuts wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:03 pm What did you think of the first one? Now I thought was absolutely terrible.

Made me laugh when John Cena came on in his blue Lacoste polo as I was wearing the exact same one...he did fill it out slightly better than me.
Yeeep sadly neither have really worked for me, to be honest none of the DC films have hit the mark, even Batman v Sups. I thought that Bats was a complete brat wanting to kill Superman until he realised their mum's had the same name, but at least the Ultimate Synder cut made more sense than the original