✍️ Welcome Michail Antonio

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Re: Michail Antonio

Post by S-H »

S-H wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:05 pm Antonioooooo!
S-H wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:28 am Antonioooo, Antoniooooo
Antonio, Antonioooooo!!
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

2nd half more like our Antonio but we need a striker in January
Harlow Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by Harlow Hammer »

I thought he was poor today. 2nd half better than the 1st

Still can’t have him on his own. Needs competition.

He looked knackered in the first half. We continue to hit long balls to him to flick on yet there was no West Ham players within 10 yards of him.

Thought he was ineffective against Brighton too. Could have bought on Vlasic or Perkins towards the end as a different option.

He does well but he can’t do it all himself and in only one injury away from a spell on the sidelines.

Defi steely need another striker to take the burden off him.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4742 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Harlow Hammer wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:08 pm I thought he was poor today. 2nd half better than the 1st

Still can’t have him on his own. Needs competition.

He looked knackered in the first half. We continue to hit long balls to him to flick on yet there was no West Ham players within 10 yards of him.

Thought he was ineffective against Brighton too. Could have bought on Vlasic or Perkins towards the end as a different option.

He does well but he can’t do it all himself and in only one injury away from a spell on the sidelines.

Defi steely need another striker to take the burden off him.
The thing is, I agree he needs a rest and should be subbed off. But his movement for our winner was absolutely top class, we don't score that without him on the pitch.
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 243 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:24 pm The thing is, I agree he needs a rest and should be subbed off. But his movement for our winner was absolutely top class, we don't score that without him on the pitch.
Same with Bowen’s goal. He was crucial.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

ageing hammer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:01 pm All strikers go through lean spells, this is his one, but be prepared the beast will come roaring back and hopefully it's tomorrow :scarfer: :crest:
:coolas:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

I think some people are doing Antonio a disservice at times.

I thought he looked off it first half, but with hindsight you could see that he was isolated against Rudiger and their other two CBs with noone near him all too often. Balls fizzed at him, hard to control at the best of times, and maybe trying too hard with nothing coming off.

Second half Bowen got closer to him and the difference was night and day. Once he got a few touches the confidence came back and the Antonio link up play we all recognise came rushing back.

First half gash, second half very good.
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

sendô wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:42 pm Second half Bowen got closer to him and the difference was night and day.
Is the key isn't it. Play balls down the line/channels and he'll run all day, ping them into him and if he is having an off day or few matches he really needs support close to him to be effective. When you are playing teams that pin our wide players back he is on a hiding to nothing sometimes.

As you say first half gash, obviously including their first - which you could see his disappointment with. He'll come good with some support.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Opinions eh? I thought he was a liability in the second half. Kept losing the ball when trying to hold it up, heavy passes and he gave away a lazy free kick on the edge of the area.

I just think he needs a week or two off to recharge the batteries. Bowen is more than capable of doing a job, especially as the Christmas run of games is looming.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

hammers92 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:25 pm Opinions eh? I thought he was a liability in the second half. Kept losing the ball when trying to hold it up, heavy passes and he gave away a lazy free kick on the edge of the area.

I just think he needs a week or two off to recharge the batteries. Bowen is more than capable of doing a job, especially as the Christmas run of games is looming.
Did you watch the halves in the wrong order?
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

wolf359 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:27 pm Did you watch the halves in the wrong order?
I honestly don’t think he was great in the second half either, but hey, I don’t care. We won :scarfer:
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4742 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

:x
hammers92 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:25 pm Opinions eh? I thought he was a liability in the second half. Kept losing the ball when trying to hold it up, heavy passes and he gave away a lazy free kick on the edge of the area.

But despite all that, integral to both goals.
IronRhino
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by IronRhino »

So easy to criticise, so hard to do. Even when he is not at his best he his a handful

He was playing against the European Champions and at time sin the second half he bullied them. Without him we would not have won today. A return trip to Jamaica in a week would take its toll on anyone.
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

IronRhino wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:50 pm A return trip to Jamaica in a week would take its toll on anyone.
That kind of ties in with my second point. He clearly hasn’t been at his explosive best the past month. Let’s give him a week off, prepare for the looming fixture congestion and let Bowen share the load. I think he looks knackered all the time at the moment.
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

He won't play v Zagreb
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 258 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

jastons wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:50 pm He won't play v Zagreb
Didn't Moyes say that Perkins is inked in?
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Vic_Watson wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:54 pm Didn't Moyes say that Perkins is inked in?
I hope so .I'd really like to see 11 changes for thurs (maybe start Benny as he only had 10 today) to give some youngsters big match experience.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I said at half time I thought he at least looked a lot more ‘livelier’ than he did for the whole of the Brighton game. I didn’t think he was as good as some said he was in the 2nd half. But was certainly better. Although he surely couldn’t of got any worse!

Deserves a lot of credit for Masuaku’s ‘thunder c*nt’. Without his movement, Masuaku wouldn’t of had all that space.
Westhamfan
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Westhamfan »

I don’t think that we would have won today without him.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

goa127 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:46 am I hope so .I'd really like to see 11 changes for thurs (maybe start Benny as he only had 10 today) to give some youngsters big match experience.
Indeed. I’d be sending out those that aren’t getting game time and kids. Everyone else can stay at home.