The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1789 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

The most unorthodox swing you'll ever see :grin:

Don't laugh too much, he plays off 9 :shocker: It's worth watching the whole video, there are some good thoughts to take to the course.

V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Everything must go!

Driver, 3 wood and Irons listed on ebay tonight along with the waterproofs.

Next week It'll be the rangefinder, hybrids, wedges and putter.

Once Ive found boxes for postage the bag and trolley will be joining them.

Had enough of this stupid bloody game Image
mumbles87
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:18 pm Playing ingrebourne Monday

Last time I went there was only a few holes open
How did you find it?

Personal favourite holes of mine

The 4th , 6th , 10th , 13th

18th I like how they saved the course.. the hole should have gone to that waste area then to the green par 5 still but sink hole opened so they made it a waste area
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

V-M wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:49 pm Everything must go!

Driver, 3 wood and Irons listed on ebay tonight along with the waterproofs.

Next week It'll be the rangefinder, hybrids, wedges and putter.

Once Ive found boxes for postage the bag and trolley will be joining them.

Had enough of this stupid bloody game Image
What!!!! Why VM?
We all think about it, but a week or so away from it and usually keen to get back out there. You seem pretty keen on your golf, shame to give it up. Even if you want to, why don't you just not play for a few weeks and then see how you feel about it. Bit rash flogging all your clubs and stuff straight away. Not worth having a cool off period to make sure?
V-M

Post by V-M »

hessa wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:26 pm What!!!! Why VM?
We all think about it, but a week or so away from it and usually keen to get back out there. You seem pretty keen on your golf, shame to give it up. Even if you want to, why don't you just not play for a few weeks and then see how you feel about it. Bit rash flogging all your clubs and stuff straight away. Not worth having a cool off period to make sure?
I last enjoyed playing pre covid. Since weve been back my game has steadily deteriorated and I'm now a 15 handicapper who should be playing off about 24.

Since we returned from the last lockdown Ive really not enjoyed being on the course, I get to about the 5th or 6th hole and cant wait to get in, I'm constantly counting how many hokes are left. If I'm playing ok its bearable, if I'm playing badly I simply cant be bothered to try and improve the game and end up with an awful score. I handed in my membership last June after 8 years and didn't play for 3 months after that. 2 weeks ago a mate persuaded me to go out for 18 and I was quite looking forward to it, that lasted about 3 or 4 holes before I lost total interest and couldn't wait to walk off at the end.

Enough is enough.
hessa

Post by hessa »

V-M wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:16 am I last enjoyed playing pre covid. Since weve been back my game has steadily deteriorated and I'm now a 15 handicapper who should be playing off about 24.

Since we returned from the last lockdown Ive really not enjoyed being on the course, I get to about the 5th or 6th hole and cant wait to get in, I'm constantly counting how many hokes are left. If I'm playing ok its bearable, if I'm playing badly I simply cant be bothered to try and improve the game and end up with an awful score. I handed in my membership last June after 8 years and didn't play for 3 months after that. 2 weeks ago a mate persuaded me to go out for 18 and I was quite looking forward to it, that lasted about 3 or 4 holes before I lost total interest and couldn't wait to walk off at the end.

Enough is enough.
Ah right, well that sounds pretty conclusive then. It can be a pig of a game and it beats us all up. But ultimately, if you're not enjoying it, then there's no point in continuing playing. I've certainly wondered about whether I want to carry on playing at times, but always go back to it. I enjoy being out and getting the fresh air and spending time with mates. The few good shots keep me going back to it I guess, well for now at least.
Have you replaced golf with another hobby or another way to spend the time you used to be on the golf course?
Johnny Byrne's Boots

That's fair enough V-M, there's no point in pursuing a leisure activity if you don't enjoy it, especially one that requires a large investment of time and money.

How's the ebay auction going? Got a link?
V-M

Post by V-M »

hessa wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:06 am Ah right, well that sounds pretty conclusive then. It can be a pig of a game and it beats us all up. But ultimately, if you're not enjoying it, then there's no point in continuing playing. I've certainly wondered about whether I want to carry on playing at times, but always go back to it. I enjoy being out and getting the fresh air and spending time with mates. The few good shots keep me going back to it I guess, well for now at least.
Have you replaced golf with another hobby or another way to spend the time you used to be on the golf course?
Not really but currently buying my ex wife out of the house so plenty to keep me busy. Also my 10 year old has suddenly taken a massive interest in football and West ham so we're usually kicking a ball about or watching us on telly.
V-M

Post by V-M »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:14 am That's fair enough V-M, there's no point in pursuing a leisure activity if you don't enjoy it, especially one that requires a large investment of time and money.

How's the ebay auction going? Got a link?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/freeflylamb/ ... pg=&_from= - I'm not sure if this link will work but it should show a list of my current items for sale :newthumb:
Johnny Byrne's Boots

You're really going for it!

Sadly, silver dot (4 deg. upright) is a bit extreme for me.
hessa

Post by hessa »

V-M wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:54 pm Not really but currently buying my ex wife out of the house so plenty to keep me busy. Also my 10 year old has suddenly taken a massive interest in football and West ham so we're usually kicking a ball about or watching us on telly.
That all sounds positive with the house. Hmm, if anything should guarantee you the same misery golf used to provide it should be West Ham....Certainly traditionally anyway, not sure this new team of our's have been made aware of this though! :lol:
V-M

Post by V-M »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:40 pm You're really going for it!

Sadly, silver dot (4 deg. upright) is a bit extreme for me.
I got fitted for these but my bad shot is a hook, looking at the general scuff marks around the heel it might explain it. My opinion is that I'd have been better off with something less extreme but too far down the road to change clubs now.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Yep, clubs too upright for your stance will lift the toe and point the face left.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Tonight I've just changed my Odyssey Mallet putter for a Cobra Armlock putter. Haven't used it on the course yet however just in practice it seems to be an absolute game changer.

I've been struggling with the yips on the greens recently so I'm open to trying anything. One thing I would say is it seems to be so much easier to control the face and get it squared up at impact which gives me confidence stood over a putt which was a nice feeling

https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalo ... tml#SID=44
Harlow Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by Harlow Hammer »

Last year I bought Arccoss. Sensors in the end of the grip that track your shot and provides loads of stats on the app.

To say it’s changed my game is an understatement. Gone from a 25 handicap to a 20 and it should be less if I can consistently hit my driver well. Hitting mid 80’s consistently now.

Knowing the correct yardage I hit each clubs has really helped. I know I’m not a long hitter but was guessing I was hitting the ball 20/30 yards longer than I was.

The sensor links to my Apple Watch and at a glance I can see the distance, the calculated distance depending on weather conditions and it recommends which club I should take based on my yardage stats from previous rounds

Provides so many stats I can started to focus on where I need to practice. It was saying my short game was rubbish so I had a shot game lesson with the club pro. I’m now gaining 2 strikes a round just on that.

Driver is my weakest part now. I average about 180 of the tee (all about the second shot with my 5 wood or hybrid). I’ve hit over 200 yards when I hit it right so know I’m capable just need to be consistent.

Off to the range tomorrow and only taking my driver rather than a selection of different clubs and not really focusing on anything in particular.

Aim is to get down to 18 next year.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

If you are hitting a 5 wood/hybrid 200yds which is a very good distance (I presume off the deck) then you are capable of hitting your T shots quite a bit further, get that up to 220yds + and with your 5 wood/hybrid you are making many courses a lot shorter for you :newthumb: Consistency the key as we all know.

Arccoss is an interesting read, glad you are getting on with it, never tried that side of golf with all the tech - I guess you have to decide on air condition, cold/hot, ball flies more, or does that pick that up as well???
Harlow Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by Harlow Hammer »

I have no idea how it measure the air condition, hot/cold etc.

It says on the watch two distances. One is actual distance and the other is playing distance depending on conditions etc.

It does work. I was about 120 of the green looked at my watch and it suggested a 5 iron. I average about 150 with my 5 iron but went with it, hit well and 4 ft from the flag!

I quite enjoy using it although it does take away the natural game. If I forget the watch or the battery dies I feel lost.
mumbles87
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Lovely round this morning at ingrebourne

Course is in cracking condition

Hit 37 points (with a blob aswell ) playing with the handicap sec lol .. he has 8 shots better handicap than me but we hit within 1 strokes of each other today
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

looking at getting a push trolley for xmas, and don't want to spend mega bucks, but equally i know you "get what you pay for".

Any thoughts on this, from Druids golf? Seems a reasonable price and folds up fairly compact. anything more than this price wise and i will need to start chipping in (already going to be from my parents and brother)

https://www.druids.com/products/compact ... -stock-now

i was looking at the motocaddy cube before, but thats around the £170-180 mark, and might be a bit too much cash at the moment.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Purely a personal opinion, but from the illustration the wheels look quite narrow. There's a possibility they'll sink into muddy ground or at least be quite hard to push through it.