✍️ Lukasz Fabianski signs

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Re: Lukasz Fabianski signs

Post by My_Sobriquet »

'stone hammer wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:43 pm Yes.
Fair enough I respect your opinion but I’ve watched every minute we have played this season and Fabianski is one of my favourite players but he has been poor for me this season.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

My_Sobriquet wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:31 pm “Our defence”

Is currently Diop, Dawson and Coufal all three of which have mostly played this season with Areola behind them.

Best timing to make the swap.
I see you've already made up your mind, regardless of how Fabianski plays.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

My_Sobriquet wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:47 pm Fair enough I respect your opinion but I’ve watched every minute we have played this season and Fabianski is one of my favourite players but he has been poor for me this season.
And I respect yours, however would you consider that maybe in wanting Areola to start is some confirmation bias creeping in?

In regards to Areola, I thought his first game for us was very shaky, and since then he has looked top notch. When Fabianski has a drop in form (subjective to opinion granted) I'm all for the swap.
IronRhino
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by IronRhino »

League games for Fab, cup games for Areola, big roles for both of them. Great to have such competition in the club and be able to play them both in important games
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Fabianski still number 1 for me, no question
He is class. A superb keeper
Such a calming influence and does the little things as good as any keeper in the league
Could he have done better with the second one? Maybe but no chance with the first.
I like Areola but it isn't his time yet
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

My_Sobriquet wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:27 pm Fabianski has noticeably declined this season, his strength was always his shot stopping, he has always been average at best with regards to distribution and command of his area. Age has caught up with him and his shot stopping is now also average.

Areola is a better keeper in every department on current form and Fabianski isn’t getting any younger.
To be honest, I think Fabianski has been better this season than last, and I'm yet to see evidence that Areola is a better keeper than Fabianski in the games that both have played for us this season - and I say this as someone who thought Fabianski was past his best and would be out of the team before long at the start of the season when Areola signed.

As someone else said above, Fabianski is getting stick for both of their goals, but flip it on it's head - if Fabianski saves both of those then they're two of the saves of the season. Is it fair to give him stick for not saving them based on that?
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

My_Sobriquet wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:27 pm This is the other thing that baffles me, we won so let’s pretend everything was perfect.

The best of the best are so because they improve on their shortcomings even when they are at their best.

It would be ridiculous to say “we won lads, nothing to work on in training this week, you all must be perfect”.

Fabianski has noticeably declined this season, his strength was always his shot stopping, he has always been average at best with regards to distribution and command of his area. Age has caught up with him and his shot stopping is now also average.

Areola is a better keeper in every department on current form and Fabianski isn’t getting any younger.

Great servant to the club and still well worth a squad place but ge shouldn’t be first choice in the league for us anymore IMO.
....and there are so many areas to moan about today , if you're so inclined, before Fabianski.
As for Areola, you'll be shocked how erratic he is and how he fails to dominate the area. He will be a nightmare for defenders and will end up being poor for us (if we sign him permanently which I dont think we will).

Fabianski has nevrr got the love he deserves from fans.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Just seen the goals on MOTD. Some people are really searching for things to pin on Fab aren’t they.

Neither goal was unstoppable granted but they weren’t goalkeeper errors by a long chalk.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

HammerAl wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:28 pm Can never understand why some people decide to take the p*ss or even get angry when a fellow poster sticks up for a player, especially a player who has given so much to the club and even more so after a fantastic result earlier on in the day. It’s almost like they’d be happy if the player has a bad game so it backs up their argument. Strange mindset.
Strange mind, in fact.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

James P wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:35 pm Just seen the goals on MOTD. Some people are really searching for things to pin on Fab aren’t they.

Neither goal was unstoppable granted but they weren’t goalkeeper errors by a long chalk.
Mendy on the other hand... :lol:
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

My_Sobriquet wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:22 pm Why compare him to unpopular keepers who aren’t even at the club?

The fact is we have another keeper on our bench who many feel right now is a better option.

I don’t know why people are branded disloyal for saying that one player in our squad should start ahead of another also in our squad, they are all West Ham as are we. Surely it has to be a real time meritocracy. Not some misguided blind faith based on historical value?

If this is how we are picking the starting 11 then Noble should be coming in for Soucek and get a pair of boots for Nolan to replace Fornals.
Didn’t see anyone being branded “disloyal” for having a differing opinion. Personally I could be called disloyal then for saying that, from my seat at Stratford, the other chap in our European & cup games has actually looked a little bit erratic and snappy at times on crosses and set pieces. He’s reminded me of David James a bit - a naturally superb shot stopper, but not necessarily ready or needed yet to replace a bloke who has been as consistent for us in the league as Fabianski has. He made one or two absolutely superb, subtle and underrated bits of keeping today, that are now a par for the course. I would certainly not trade in hysterics and absolutes about Fab needing to be replaced.

Anyway I’ve been on the lash in Hackney all day celebrating after that result and now need to make some toast. Enjoy the rest of your weekend mate.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Some people are hard to please. We have two very good keepers.

Should have saved a free header from six yards out? Ok but I don't think anyone else was saving that.

Mason Mount's volley? Far post and a keeper saves it but not where that went.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

arlhe wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:56 pm Some people are hard to please. We have two very good keepers.

Should have saved a free header from six yards out? Ok but I don't think anyone else was saving that.

Mason Mount's volley? Far post and a keeper saves it but not where that went.
I wouldn’t have swapped keepers with their lot today, that’s for sure.

In the game against Brighton, Fab made a low down save that, had it been Alison or De Gea, people would have been fawning over in the media.

Fabianski is both underrated and under appreciated in my opinion. Both by some of ours and supporters in general.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Maybe could have stopped one but let's nit get too down on him. We won

I worry about zouma and Johnson
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Fabianski seems to be in the same bracket as antonio. He's held to a harsher standard than others. Watching the relay on the TV there was little fab could have done. Yes they might have been saved, but that would have been just down to good fortune. It's a total fallacy that keepers should never get beaten on their near post, the keeper has to leave a small space in order to try and cover the maximum area. A perfect volley like mount's will beat most keepers most of the time. What's this thing about his age? He's not particularly old for a keeper. The centre half who scored against him today is 37!
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

James P wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:35 pm Neither goal was unstoppable granted but they weren’t goalkeeper errors by a long chalk.
You’ve completed contradicted yourself. How can you say it’s not a goalkeeper error if you say neither goal was unstoppable? :D

He seems to have developed Adrian’s crisp packet hands this season. The soft goals he has let in this season have either been shots straight at him, like yesterday and Villa, or shots he badly pushed away into an easy tap-in position.

Is he awful and one of the worst goalkeepers in the League? Absolutely not. Would we have conceded less goals this season with a more agile Keeper? For me, yes.

I personally think one of the reason’s he’s had an easier ride is because thankfully for Lukasz we still picked up points. As if we lost a lot of the games he let a soft goal in, I bet the majority on here would be singing from a different hymn sheet.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

If he had saved either goal yesterday they would have been worldies for me...

If you're expectation is worldies every game then sure you'll be disappointed

If you're expecting him to be solid and makes the saves he should while chucking in the odd worldie than that's where he is for me and has been all season

Areola has a lot to live up to next season
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

funky chicken wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:31 am You’ve completed contradicted yourself. How can you say it’s not a goalkeeper error if you say neither goal was unstoppable? :D
I haven’t contradicted myself because I understand the world isn’t so black and white. There are not only unstoppable goals and keeper errors. There is a middle ground where a keeper has a greater than 0% chance of saving a shot but is by no means expected to do so 100% of the time or else have blame laid at his door.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I don't recall people being so critical of Fabianski, when Randolph was his back-up.. :D

I appreciate competition for places is healthy, but I genuinely don't think Fabianski has done anything to deserve being replaced yet, maybe some are looking too hard for reasons to replace him.

Areola's time will come, he knows that, Fab knows that, and so does Moyes, but for now, the No1 spot is Fab's, I'm more than happy with that, and more importantly, so is the manager.
Last edited by S-H on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bilic'sLimp
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Bilic'sLimp »

You can see how much the team trust him when they kept passing back to him while under some pressure and Fabianski always dealt with the situation calmly.

He's ageing which means he lost some spring and might have done better with the goals but that calmness is invaluable.

He was certainly the best keeper in that game!