Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Re: Formula1

Post by White Goodman »

-DL- wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:30 pm Of course it's relevant. I've just looked. My parent company were using slave labour in WW2. Does that mean I now have no right to comment and campaign for human rights? I mean, they not only used slave labour, they transported the Jews to their deaths!

Sorry mate, his just comes over as just another way to have a pop.

Have you read the BBC article on this? I have and don't see much wrong with the message myself.

It's not having a pop, if he was quiet then there would be nothing to comment on but nobody , not just Hamilton, can be an effective human rights activist whilst continuing to be part of something that enriches the people perpetrating the injustice.

That is nothing to do with F1, it's just common sense . He has no real credibility on the subject.

He advertises for Petronas, a company from a country with an absolutely appalling record on gay rights whilst wearing a rainbow helmet this weekend. I don't see how hard it can be to see fault with that.

Don't get me wrong I'm not criticising him for taking their shilling. If he wants to , that is his personal choice but I just wish he'd spare us how much he cares about these people. His actions really don't bear it out.

And yes I've read almost all of the articles I can find, usually start with the BBC.

He's a great driver, needs to stick to that really. My last words on the subject this weekend . Honest injun!

Anyway on that point he's said his engine was down on power in FP1. Surely that Merc engine isn't just good for one race :crossed:
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

White Goodman wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:49 pm Anyway on that point he's said his engine was down on power in FP1. Surely that Merc engine isn't just good for one race :crossed:
It wasn't he was 7kmph faster than Max even with a 'low power' engine. Maybe just the feeling after driving the 'rocket ship' last week.
Last edited by wolf359 on Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

wolf359 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:52 pm It wasn't he was 7kph faster than Max even with a 'low power' engine. Maybe just the feeling after driving the 'rocket ship' last week.
Yeah it did say that he was told it wasn't an issue. I'd be more inclined to believe it was a bit of sandbagging if anything
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:58 pm Mercedes appeal rejected
Technically the appeal was not rejected, they rejected the right to appeal. It didn't even get to appeal.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Oh this is going to be hysterical on the track now.

Let them race, just as long as its not round the outside.

We should have a sweepstake on how many times cars are going to be run off the track over the last 3 races.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I can see race stewards still punishing some drivers when it's convenient, stating each case is treated on its own merits. They can basically do what they like.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Cars a falling apart on these kerbs. Might be an endurance race at this rate... I'm sure Red Bull will be allowed to 'fix' their wing again. Track looks like qualifying is a win. One DRS zone and overtaking looks very, very hard.
LittleChris
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by LittleChris »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:46 pm Let them race, just as long as its not round the outside.
As espoused by James Hunt 44 years ago at the 1977 Dutch GP when Mario Andretti had the bare faced cheek to overtake him round the outside at Tarzan Hairpin. He never quite lived that down for the remainder of his career :smiler:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

wolf359 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:20 pm

EDIT 12:50 - Horner basically just said they feel the rear wing is illegal and will appeal it if it is used this week (which I am sure it will be)

This is going to go the courts I feel especially if Mercedes and/or Lewis do win.
Genuine question-

Where do think Mercedes have got a sudden increase in pace the last few races?

I think a few members would be asking the question if Red Bull did.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:58 pm Genuine question-

Where do think Mercedes have got a sudden increase in pace the last few races?

I think a few members would be asking the question if Red Bull did.
I listen to hours (and I mean hours) of podcasts a week about F1 (I'm a tad obsessed) and they general consensus is that it has always been there. However the Merc has always been a Diva but this year it is even worse, it has such a narrow 'golden window'. They nailed it in Brazil. Horner is trying to make out the car is a different class the 'advantages' he points out about the Mercedes has are selective at best (when Lewis set his top speed he got an almost perfect tow from Norris for example.)

F1 is about pushing the rules they all do it (Red Bull themselves have done it twice (at least) this year with their wing pre-Baku and the pit stops, both were outlawed by directives (they were legal at the time) not to mention the almost certainty there was something 'funny' about their tyre pressures at Baku (and probably before) which then cause a further directive.

I am sure Mercedes have come up with something clever to maximise the car and help them find this 'window' but it is not the engine, it is locked and they cannot upgrade it. Is it legal almost certainly, will the FIA issue a 'directive' to stop it in the future (like the RB wings, pitstops and tyres) maybe.

And let's not forget Max was half a second a lap quicker in Mexico only two races a go.. and despite the Merc pace Max was second last week ahead of a Mercedes, not exactly 'unraceable'
Last edited by wolf359 on Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bend it like Repka

White Goodman wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:49 pm It's not having a pop, if he was quiet then there would be nothing to comment on but nobody , not just Hamilton, can be an effective human rights activist whilst continuing to be part of something that enriches the people perpetrating the injustice.
Simple question. Do you think Hamilton with his millions and millions of followers on social media, plus the weight his sporting presence carries, has more chance of effecting a change on a subject than a group of people sitting on the M25 holding banners?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Well, Qatar.

Hamilton on Pole, by half a second from Max with Bottas third.

Little twist in the tail - Max, has been called to face the stewards for not slowing under double waved yellows, Bottas and Sainz have been called to the stewards in the morning for failing to slow under single yellows after Gasly stopped on pit-straight after getting a puncture.

There may well be some grid penalties handed out before the race.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

-DL- wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:36 pm Well, Qatar.

Hamilton on Pole, by half a second from Max with Bottas third.

Little twist in the tail - Max, has been called to face the stewards for not slowing under double waved yellows, Bottas and Sainz have been called to the stewards in the morning for failing to slow under single yellows after Gasly stopped on pit-straight after getting a puncture.

There may well be some grid penalties handed out before the race.
5 for max and three each for the other 2 if upheld. They originally said ‘nothing to see here’ but it seems they took another look due to almost universal ‘wtf’ response. Mean while Lewis will sleep comfortably tonight after another god tier lap.

Seems an open and shut case for all three based on the traces. Yellows you lift. It is plain and simple.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

wolf359 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:41 pm
Seems an open and shut case for all three based on the traces.
You'd like to think so, but with some of the baffling decisions by stewards recently, I wouldn't bet on it. It's the same group of stewards as last week too.

There was a universal 'wtf' last week when Max went unpunished for the move on Hamilton, (they are still 'wtf-ing' over that this week!) so what's likely to happen is anyone's guess.
Bend it like Repka

-DL- wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:30 am There was a universal 'wtf' last week when Max went unpunished for the move on Hamilton, (they are still 'wtf-ing' over that this week!) so what's likely to happen is anyone's guess.
Red Bull's image is definitely suffering over this. Firstly after the drivers meeting Max said everyone was now clear with overtaking, yet just about every driver has agreed with Hamilton that there is a lot that is still uncertain.

Plus Horners comments in the press conference with Toto just showed how little class he has. Stuff about panto and openly hinting at cheating, just makes me want Lewis to win all the more.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Five places for Max and Three for Bottas, Sainz no action. Could be huge for this championship.

Gasly 2nd and Alonso 3rd both on softs. Alonso has been championing Max all year and is still salty about Lewis in 2007 and all that. He has been getting mega starts pretty much all year and could be dangerous.

The Max decision consistent with what happened to Vettel and Lewis in recent times.

"The driver acknowledged his awareness of the presence of Car 10 on the right side of the track. Having seen a disabled car, it is reasonable to expect, as was the case of the driver of Car 55, that there was a potential danger"

"Red Bull argued that as the light panel wasn't displayed and had been turned off he shouldn't get a penalty, but the team also never told him the track had gone yellow and then gone clear. Stewards had "sympathy" but said it's driver's responsibility to take action"

As expected Horner is now bitching and moaning about it.
Last edited by wolf359 on Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bend it like Repka

Lewis just needs to be smart in turn 1. Let Alonso past, he can retake on the straight.

Lets hope Max gets greedy on turn 1. I'll be the biggest Sainz fan ever if he runs him off the track from the inside. :crylol:
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Terrible Gasly and Alonso just wave Max through, Yuki waves Perez through shouldn’t be allowed. . Bottas is crap as ever.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 873 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

As a wing man Bottas is as useful as an ash tray on a motorbike