Ben Johnson

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Re: Ben Johnson

Post by Colours never run »

sendô wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:19 pm I'm not sure I really class Fredericks as a good right back, more of a RWB. Much like Masuaku is a good LWB but is not a LB, but yeah we're well stocked on that right side right now, which is weird for us.
Same. Don't think Frederick's is a good right back but can be useful higher up the pitch. For his sake, he should really be sold on soon.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Colours never run wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:04 pm I could see it from day dot he'd be this good. Just love the way he operates on either flank. Uber professional for one so young in the game. Much like Rice, they understand the importance of being a real team player who does the basics right more often than not. Should get an England call up within the next couple of seasons.
Would like to see him get called up to the U21s first. I still find it baffling that a player getting game time at a top 6 side, and impressing, can't get called up. I think Max Aarons, Tanganga (Spurs) and the Southampton kid from Chelsea are currently ahead of him.

He'll have done exceptionally well to get into the full England squad. If there's one position England are well stocked in, it's RBs!
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Continues to grow and develop, brilliant stuff, also really liked how Moyes showed faith in him rather than putting Vlad back in, it's exactly the right message to send to players, if you're doing well you keep the shirt, if you are out of the starting 11 you need to work hard to get it back....

Loved his beaming smile on his interview, brilliant :grin:
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:26 pm We've got 3. :shock:
I think you are right, But Coufal, Johnson and Ashby. I dont mind Fredericks, but im not totally convinced by him. I think he is more useful going forward than he is defensively
steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar »

Ozza wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:39 pm Continues to grow and develop, brilliant stuff, also really liked how Moyes showed faith in him rather than putting Vlad back in, it's exactly the right message to send to players, if you're doing well you keep the shirt, if you are out of the starting 11 you need to work hard to get it back....

Loved his beaming smile on his interview, brilliant :grin:
His beaming, infectious smile reminds me of Emma Raducanu's!
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 258 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:44 pm His beaming, infectious smile reminds me of Emma Raducanu's!
:lover:
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

I think Johnson's goal/smile and the way the senior players celebrated with him was probably my single favourite moment in this little run of wins we've had.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

This is why I find Johnson to be a Defenders, Defender....

Ben Johnson has completed the most tackles with a 100% success rate in the Premier League this season (14/14)

And that's not even half of the work he gets through when called upon.

Like I say, he's on course (or should be!) for a senior England call up in the near future. Lucky us (West Ham and England).

And for the record, I absolutely LOVE Coufal and what he brings to the Team when he plays too. Spoilt for choice.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

funky chicken wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:16 pm
Where’s the new contract?
I’m no ‘itk’ by any means, but in this case I do know there is nothing to worry about here.

So glad to see Ben playing right back and flourishing. You can see how much it means to him to play and do well for us.

We’re set up fantastically well at right back. Never thought we’d be able to say that about West Ham.
steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar »

Still can't even get into the England U21s. Laughable isn't it?

I guess the reasoning is that Max Aarons has been in the squad/set-up for years, so is good for squad consistency, while has also been a regular starter for Norwich for several seasons. While the Southampton RB Tino Livramento is only 18, so will be part of the set-up for the next 3-4 years, while BJ turns 22 this season. So, maybe age is against him and he's just missed the boat?
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Still no new contract, Mr. Sullivan?
OFT
Has liked: 3242 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

Getting the hang of the job ain't he....

Superb
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

My Motm (Pablo close 2nd). Never put a foot wrong whole game. His positioning is superb for someone so young.
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 89 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

Almost miraculous how well he is playing at the moment. Long may it continue.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

Who'd a thought a few months ago that Coufal wouldn't be first pick at RB?
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

smuts wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:40 pm Who'd a thought a few months ago that Coufal wouldn't be first pick at RB?
Very few. Vlad still has a place here. Young players often drop off. Ben is riding a wave right now.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

smuts wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:40 pm Who'd a thought a few months ago that Coufal wouldn't be first pick at RB?
A win-win situation for us. We have another young kid from our academy who has been at the club since he was 7 years old. He’s played extremely well and is getting better and better.

Coufal meanwhile was one of our most consistent players last season, but hasn’t had a good season so far. Even before his injury. So to earn his spot back in the starting 11 he knows he’ll have to up his game and give his all the next time he’ll get a chance.

Oh and we have Fredericks too! :thup:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Immense again today. Robertson never got past him once
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2411 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

The anti-Trent.

A throwback to when fullbacks could actually defend.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Future international, based on today.