Guitar Corner

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1953 likes

Guitar Corner

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Seems like there are a few of us who play the guitar (or other instrument). I thought it might be nice to have somewhere to talk about it.

Personally, I never got far past the "here's three chords, go and form a band" stage, but I still find it a lovely way to spend a bit of free time. It makes everything else go away. If I get a big wedge of free time, I build effects pedals and amps - many happy hours exploding things in my workshop. With the doors closed, and the phone off.

I've built up quite a collection over the years, thirty-something guitars and about ten amps. I tell the ever fragrant Mrs Monkeybubbles that's it's all part of my retirement plan.

Lately I've been getting off on Mosrite guitars....theyre oddball hand-built weirdos from the sixties and seventies, used by Johnny Ramone, the bloke from the B52s and one of MC5, and pretty much nobody else. Here's the latest addition, arrived from Japan this morning

You?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Re: Guitar Corner

Post by Up the Junction »

I never really got past the "I can only play three chords, never mind about forming a band" stage.

My acoustic still takes up a bit of space in the lounge though, longing to be plucked from its slumber and caressed by someone more proficient.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

If you fancy expanding your art further MB, 60's Mosrite Luthier Routing/Building Templates (and others)
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

I enjoy playing guitar and have never got much past the ‘Learn three chords, must get round to forming a band one day’ stage. I’ve got an Epihone Dot, which plays really well even with my limited skills. I jam occasionally with a couple of pals - our songs of choice tend to be indie based but we entertained a load of mates at my wife’s 50th, playing a few crowd pleasing 80s songs.

A couple of years back I made one of those kit guitars, just to see if I could do it and was pleasantly surprised by it. I love browsing in guitar shops, although haven’t been able to nail down what I actually want to buy - Fenader Jaguar, Gretsch, Rickenbacker ... the list goes on and the budget is limited.

I find Ultimate Guitar and YouTube tutorials good for learning songs and probably spend 2-3 hours a week pretending that I am a guitar genius!
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

I love playing and have really got into it in the last 18 months but find that I never get enough time to really enjoy it. Started learning a few new ones tonight and gave up as the kids started mucking about, the missus wanted something ordered online and so on.

Got a Washburn acoustic which is okay but not as good as I thought it would be to be honest, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus pro in Heritage cherry which I got on a grest deal online and a Fender player Strat in black with white plate which are both lovely. The Strat is amazing for a Mexican mid range model. I don't play the electrics as much as I would like and save firing up the Amp till I actually get an hour or two to savour it.

Would love to play Bass as well but I would never get away with another guitar!
Polaroid
Has liked: 612 likes
Total likes: 220 likes

Post by Polaroid »

I've got a small mish-mash of guitars. Each has a (probably, really boring) story behind it.

Bought new in 1984 an unbranded Precision bass copy.
1989 Korean made Squire Strat. Bought secondhand for a song.
1989 'Lyon' by Washburn acoustic.
Late 90's Yamaha APX6a electro acoustic.
2002 Yamaha BB404 Bass. Bought secondhand for home recording.
Cort M600 Bought new 2004 (I think) PX'd with an Epi Dot. Some story that! (Boring though :) )

Current amps.
Gem Electronic 'Mars' 30w valve amp. Bought secondhand in 1984, built sometime in the late 60's or 70's.
Peavy 10w practice, can run off 12v. Sounds like crap, I love it.
Marshall AS50D Acoustic. It should't be but it's a joy.

A budget selection of stuff for sure but each and everyone is cherished. The cheapo Washburn gets played daily. The strings needed changing 3 or so years ago (there are spares waiting) but the dull sound it produces resonates so much with real life... oh fark I've got all pretentious again.

I'm in the process of turning the box room into a 1950's home recording studio. By that I mean the finances are low so it'll be a make do and mend affair. If I tried Mb's line of it's a retirement plan I'd get a swift kick up the axil and soon be retired.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1953 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Polaroid wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:57 am
Current amps.
Gem Electronic 'Mars' 30w valve amp. Bought secondhand in 1984, built sometime in the late 60's or 70's.
I reckon that'll be worth something in a few years time. There's a growing interest in mid-period European amps, especially the very funky-looking Italian ones like Gem, Davoli, Meazzi. They were overlooked for ages because they weren't used by professionals but now people are rediscovering how good they sound. Funny how things change from 'old and crappy' to 'vintage and desireable'. If only the same were true for ageing West Ham fans.

I think the Gem is a kind of hybrid, solid state preamp and valve power amp. Still a cracking amp though. And they look amazing.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

I've got a fair few, sold even more over the years and still, if I'm flush can't resist a decent guitar. I'm playing more bass than guitar these days.

The current crop is as follows:

Basses

Spector Euro 5LX
Spector Euro Doug Wimbish Signature
Spector Euro 5LX (all maple)
Traben Chaos Core 5 String
Traben John Moyer Signature 5 String
Traben John Moyer Signature 4 String
1995 Fender Jazz Bass

Guitars

Jackson Randy Rhodes RR5
ESP Viper
BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X
Schecter C-1 Stealth
Schecter C-1 7 String
Washburn Solar 6
Washburn USA Custom Shop Idol
Washburn Pilsen USA Custom Shop Idol
Washburn Nick Catanese Signature Idol
Washburn Billy Club Custom Idol
Japanese Sigma 80s Acoustic

Amps

Ampeg SVT Pro3 head
Gallien Krueger 1001rb
Ashdown 6x10 cab

Peavey 5150 Combo
Peavey JSX 120watt head
Peavey 6505 120 watt head
Orange Crush 35RT
Blackstar HT-1
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

I just replayed "Smoke On The Water" in my head.

Swish.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Made in Japan Fender Stratocaster in Sonic Blue on which I've spent far too much modifying. When I add the cost of the guitar to the mods and then look at what I could have won...

Vintage (brand name of Wilkinson/John Hornby Skewes) Les Paul Goldtop with P90s. Solid mahogany, your shoulder certainly knows all about it.

Epiphone Les Paul Junior with single P90, an ebay impulse buy and a great guitar.

Squier Strat in black, £40 from a charity shop. Both Squier and Epiphone are great value as a way in to playing guitar.

Eko six string accoustic from sometime in the sixties. My goto if I fancy a quick strum. Needs a refret, I've seen thicker coats of paint.

Ibanez electro accoustic with Fishman piezo transducer.

Four and a half string banjo and a ukulele too.

Peavey Classic 20 valve amp with knobs that go to twelve. 'kin loud. Still searching for a non microphonic ECC83.

Far too many pedals to justify or even count.
neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by neathiron »

Really enjoying re-learning to play again since I took it back up a few weeks ago. Finding it more rewarding than when I last played about 20 years ago.
Trying things out which I would never have attempted back then because they appeared too daunting. As long as I could hammer out a few power chords jamming along to a few thrash tunes I was happy enough, but now I'm focusing more on melodic riffs and licks to make me a better player.
Got a Marlin Sidewinder guitar which I bought around 1986/87. Need to get a new amp though, did have a Gorrilla practice amp but left it at my old house when I moved out. Guessing the ex has chucked it by now Headbanger

Currently getting lots of joy learning this song. Beautiful melodic intro, before it gets a bit more thrashy.

WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

I have a Takamine GX-200, one of the few solid body electrics they manufactured in the 80's, and a Yamaha FG-180 Red. I suck equally on both. I sold my red '90 American Std Strat a few years ago. I sucked playing that one as well. It's almost as if it's my fault I can't play.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

I change my guitars more than I change my pants but there’s only one I’ve ever regretted selling: A 1997 Parker Nitefly NFV2

Carbon fiber neck, Stainless steel bits and bobs, a bit obscure but I swear to God it made me at least 20-30% better as a player. Magic ****ing thing.

Aside from that the Gibson ES 335 is my all time favorite guitar. Tobacco preferably. I like hollow bodies.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

neathiron wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:31 pmNeed to get a new amp though, did have a Gorrilla practice amp but left it at my old house when I moved out. Guessing the ex has chucked it by now Headbanger
Best thing that could be done to one of them. They were terrible amps. There's loads of decent (cheap amps available nowadays) so don't be put off by buying an amp. The Orange Crush 35RT is a great amp that can be picked up quite cheap second-hand.
Morocco Mole wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:46 pm I change my guitars more than I change my pants but there’s only one I’ve ever regretted selling: A 1997 Parker Nitefly NFV2
I've heard nothing but good things about them guitars. Sadly never owned them. I think they're owned by Washburn now.
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

I bought a Les Paul in 1994. It's all I need, and all I ever wanted growing up. I play rhythm, and am currently making inroads with Megadeth, Opeth and Jethro Tull. I started off wanting to play Metallica...learnt a load of their stuff in the early 90's, banged through ac/dc, pearl jam, pink floyd, gnr, sabbath, extreme and such like before buying an acoustic in the early 2000's and learning fingerstyle, before writing my own stuff. If I could only play acoustic like Martin Barre, lead like Marty Friedman and write stuff like Mikael Akerfeldt I would be happy!
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

I recently replaced my old cheap and basic guitar and amp that I bought second or third hand off a Facebook group to see if I liked it, with an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra III in Trans Black and Vox VT40x Valvetronix modelling amp.

Night and day with my old gear, but I sold them for exactly what I paid for them so it was effectively a good, free loan for a couple of years to make sure I was going to stick with this as a hobby.

Etonhammer
Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Etonhammer »

Have a Epiphone Sheraton I've had for 25 odd years, a Takamine P3 and a Gibson G45.

There have been many over the years that have come and go but I wont part with the Sheraton.

I'd like to think I'll stick with what I have now but there may be changes :)
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Whittier’s - I have the 30w version of that Vox amp - good sound and I enjoy using it.
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Whitters...that epiphone is stunning. Good choice, epiphones are great and I am very tempted to get one.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

simon hammer wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:34 pm Whitters...that epiphone is stunning. Good choice, epiphones are great and I am very tempted to get one.
If you're going to get an Epiphone, try and find a second-hand Japanese one. They're infinitely better than the Chinese / Indonesian stuff they're churning out nowadays.