✍ Welcome, Jarrod Bowen

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: Welcome, Jarrod Bowen

Post by S-H »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:11 am Do we actually have a striker coach???
We barely even have a striker at the club, let alone a striker coach, if we did, he'd probably make the bench.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

jastons wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:15 pm I would love to see the statistics that say Jarrod Bowen is the worst finisher in the league!
It was one of those xG things about conversion of chances based on the quality of them. This was 2-3 weeks or so ago. Can only imagine it’s become more stark in recent weeks.

Look, I don’t particularly care for stats and I also don’t want to be mistaken for someone who doesn’t think Bowen is a good player. He’s one of my favourites.

But anyone with eyes can see that it would be no surprise that if there was a stat that did a decent job of identifying the worst finishers in the league so far this season, Jarrod Bowen would be at the top. He’s having a mare with it, and it’s all well and good acknowledging his strong contribution elsewhere (as I say, one of my favourites), but unfortunately his finishing is responsible for quite a lot of dropped points so far.

He has to get it sorted. If he and we want to push it up a level, he needs to compose himself and put these chances away.

I also don’t think he’s a striker like some are suggesting. Main reason being the profligacy in front of goal at the moment, but also he is probably our best player alongside Dec for carrying the ball up the pitch at pace. We don’t really have many that can do that, but Bowen is excellent at using his low centre of gravity to hold the low ball up that’s fizzed into him, and then turn and go with it. Being up front, more of the balls would come into him high and that’s not his game. It would also limit our ability to carry the ball in transition. Benrahma and Fornals aren’t particularly fast. Vlasic isn’t really either. Even Lanzini who is great at carrying the ball isn’t as quick as Bowen.

We need a real striker to share the duties with Antonio. I wouldn’t be surprised if using Bowen up front to spell Antonio has hindered him a bit this season to be honest. When is Bowen supposed to get his rest?
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I’d be more concerned if Bowen wasn’t hitting the target, but he is. He’s making the goalkeepers work a lot more than any of our attacking players. He just simply needs his shots to hit the back of the net on a more regular basis. But playing out wide, it’s more difficult.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:36 am It was one of those xG things about conversion of chances based on the quality of them. This was 2-3 weeks or so ago. Can only imagine it’s become more stark in recent weeks.

Look, I don’t particularly care for stats and I also don’t want to be mistaken for someone who doesn’t think Bowen is a good player. He’s one of my favourites.

But anyone with eyes can see that it would be no surprise that if there was a stat that did a decent job of identifying the worst finishers in the league so far this season, Jarrod Bowen would be at the top. He’s having a mare with it, and it’s all well and good acknowledging his strong contribution elsewhere (as I say, one of my favourites), but unfortunately his finishing is responsible for quite a lot of dropped points so far.

He has to get it sorted. If he and we want to push it up a level, he needs to compose himself and put these chances away.
I agree with you. Just because he plays for us, let's not fudge the issue. He is ****ing shocking in front of goal and really, that is pretty inexcusable for somebody who does this for a living
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

funky chicken wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:41 am I’d be more concerned if Bowen wasn’t hitting the target, but he is. He’s making the goalkeepers work a lot more than any of our attacking players. He just simply needs his shots to hit the back of the net on a more regular basis. But playing out wide, it’s more difficult.
I was behind the goal for his chance in injury time the other night. I’ve avoided all highlights but I’m pretty sure that shot wasn’t going in. The concerning thing for me was I knew he wouldn’t put it away, and I think that’s because he has developed a habit of snatching at these chances. He doesn’t seem to be confident or composed in those moments. You’d hope it’s a case of once he puts one away, they’ll start flowing in.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

funky chicken wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:41 am I’d be more concerned if Bowen wasn’t hitting the target, but he is. He’s making the goalkeepers work a lot more than any of our attacking players. He just simply needs his shots to hit the back of the net on a more regular basis. But playing out wide, it’s more difficult.
No point hiting the target if you simply blast it at the keeper every time
Often it can show more compusure if you try and hit the corners and just miss

We have a real problem, as a squad, of scoring with just the keeper to beat from an angle. Antonio has done it well on occasions, but most players just seem to hit it straight at the on-rushing keeper rather than being able to find the far corner across the keeper
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3084 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Both Benrahma and Fornals are doing better than their xG this season in the league and Bowen is -2
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Wilko1304 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:08 am Both Benrahma and Fornals are doing better than their xG this season in the league and Bowen is -2
I think the notable thing here for me is that I’d still so much rather have Bowen in the team than Benrahma. That probably goes to show how much his finishing is letting him down at the moment. Correct that and we’ve got a great player.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

A good striker makes all of our attackers better
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:52 am No point hiting the target if you simply blast it at the keeper every time

We have a real problem, as a squad, of scoring with just the keeper to beat from an angle. Antonio has done it well on occasions, but most players just seem to hit it straight at the on-rushing keeper rather than being able to find the far corner across the keeper
A bit of composure in those situations is all that is required starting with working on this in training. More composed players will dink it over the advancing on-rushing keeper
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 354 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:52 am No point hiting the target if you simply blast it at the keeper every time

Like the chance Bowen had previously when he shot across the keeper which was a fraction wide of the post ? He was unlucky on that occasion.

That late chance though, he had to square it to either Antonio or Soucek though - composure, awareness, no shout or believed he would score ?

I was always coached to shoot across the keeper from an angle as the chance of a rebound falling to one of your team mates following in is pretty high.

Coming in from an angle the goal is narrow and most tend to take it with their right foot on the right side, left foot on the left side. Often the best chance of a goal is through the keepers legs, which perhaps is what our lot try to do a lot of the time, albeit inaccurately. Perhaps though, it is more a lack of composure

Salah's goal the other night from the right where he shifted it to his left and the curl took it in was wonderful, but we don't have anyone quite at that level
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Bowen conversion rate is about 9% in the prem. Needs to improve.

But if he played more as a CF I think it would.
He is having chances wide and further out in majority.

He is a right sided midfielder (spends more time defending than attacking), his stats as a wide midfielder this season are on par to be decent
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 417 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Billy Hunt wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:32 pm
Salah's goal the other night from the right where he shifted it to his left and the curl took it in was wonderful, but we don't have anyone quite at that level
I hate the curly haired diving prick but this is spot on. Salah is absolutely superb in front of goal. Ice cold.

If Bowen wants to play for England then this is where he needs to improve.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

He has to adapt his game. The opposition are clearly preventing him from getting on his stronger foot which is leading to more shots with his swinger.

As others have said, there was a classic example of that midweek when he should have squared it. Adding that to his game will make defenders second guess and give him more time and opportunity to get on his stronger foot more often as his right foot isn’t going to significantly improve overnight.

I feel like all our attacking players are all forcing it a bit too much. I do think opposition managers are focusing on us more and we need to flex to that.
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

Either a goalscorer or not. Can't be trained.
Bowens a footballer who puts in exceptional effort but is limited. No big deal. We e had plenty lmayer lime that through the years.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

A great point about opposition managers. Pep did it last weekend and I imagine Tuchel will this.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

S-H wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:13 am We barely even have a striker at the club, let alone a striker coach, if we did, he'd probably make the bench.
Grant Holt has just joined the scouting team. He's got to be fancying his chances.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:30 pm Either a goalscorer or not. Can't be trained.
Bowens a footballer who puts in exceptional effort but is limited. No big deal. We e had plenty lmayer lime that through the years.
You can tell by the goals he has scored and his technique (not to mention his record in the C'ship) that he has the raw ability to score more at the top level. It's mostly about consistency and composure for me, which he can improve.

I'm sure in a parallel universe somewhere, Bowen is already on about 25 career goals for us.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 354 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

MB wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:00 pm He has to adapt his game. The opposition are clearly preventing him from getting on his stronger foot which is leading to more shots with his swinger.

Dani Dyer likes this post
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Clearly we work on corners in training, so what is preventing 0the players how to stick the ****ing ball in the ****ing net. I think I have the answer, somebody needs to draw a picture of a goal and a picture of a ball with the words underneath: 'Ball in goal' and whilst I am about it, how about coaching the players how to take a ****ing throw in