MotoGP & WSBK - 2020

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

MotoGP & WSBK - 2020

Post by szola »

Today was the first day of the new season for the MotoGP teams.

Test riders and rookies took to the track @Sepang for the start of the official Shakedown sessions

https://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2020/0 ... ion/322774

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/93564 ... own-starts
szola

Re: MotoGP & WSBK - 2020

Post by szola »

The biggest surprise of the winter break / start of the season has to be how well Yamaha have recruited for the 2021-2022 seasons, and that #VR46 has been replaced at the Factory team in favour of the best young talent in #20FQ and #12MV.

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/01/ ... 022/322630

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/01/ ... 022/322667

Now Ducati Corse need to go all in for #93MM..... doesn't look likely that HRC will allow that to happen...
szola

Post by szola »

Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I'll have to watch that. Cheers.

I love Moto GP. Never ridden a motorbike in my life but utterly enthralling watching the balance and control these guys have of their machinery.

When you see a super slow mo of Marquez making a 100mph turn on just the front wheel at a 60 degree angle it is a thing of wonder
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 223 likes

Post by k-r-c »

I have always been avid F1, but watched a few races last year and was good to watch.

Actually have got tickets to go watch the MotoGP race at Silverstone in August, being bank holiday weekend am looking forward to it. Cant believe ill be going to a MotoGP race before i make an F1 race.
szola

Post by szola »

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/films/and ... unted-film

Dovi04 is in many ways opposite to MM93, and in large degree also VR46
I like him
szola

Post by szola »

Used to watch F1 while Senna was alive and Mansell & Piquet were behind the wheel.
Schumacher was the last one I saw win while watching a full race on telly, I think...

Apart from some races where MM93 dominates, the MotoGP race is never finished before the checkered flag.
Last season you had Dovi04, MM93, Rins42 and Q20 some very tight races that were far over with only one lap remaining.

Hope you'll have good weather @Silverstone
I have that race on my bucket list, this season its the Cathedral of Speed for me, aka @Assen
Oxonhammer

Post by Oxonhammer »

Shame the opening round for MotoGP is cancelled (and now Thailand and WSBK at Qatar).

Watched the WSBK this weekend, usually quite boring but all three races were close.

I'm also looking at Assen this year asI've been to Silverstone loads of times (was there and got absolutely soaked when they cancelled but the year before and last year were scorching!)
szola

Post by szola »

Revised calendar for 2020

Free Practice in #Qatar for Moto3 & Moto2 live

:scarfer:
Oxonhammer

Post by Oxonhammer »

Watched the virtual GP yesterday, not the same but was quite amusing.
szola

Post by szola »

I enjoyed the race, the closest we've been to MotoGP this season :D

Quite interesting to see how the Marquez brothers were professionals even when playing Playstation...

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/04/ ... ree/328758

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/04/ ... ree/328457

Loads of great free content while the Virus roams the lands...
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... y-scenario

Really interesting article about the difficulties facing Moto GP (& all other international sports really).

Basically, the championship might end up being held at one venue over a period of three or four weekends. Moto 2 & 3 might have to be binned altogether.
Oxonhammer

Post by Oxonhammer »

Enjoyed the races at the weekend and it's great that it's going ahead.

Felt sorry for McPhee in Moto3 - absolutely gutting for him on the final corner after fighting back from a bad start.

MM93 rode like a man possessed after his first mistake but without the usual red mist and hitting everyone sight..the high side he had looked nasty and he's aiming to be back in a couple of weeks!!!.

Good 4th for Lowes in the Moto2 and a shame Cal didn't start in MotoGP but the racing is back thick and fast which is absolutely fine by me (shame we can't attend though).
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

That Rossi near miss is one of the scariest things I’ve ever seen. I know they’re a different breed, competitive bike riders, but surely that’s got to make him question why he’s still doing it, long after he stopped having anything to prove. You can’t cheat death forever, and he must realise how lucky he is to have survived.
szola

Post by szola »

So....the best motorsport has managed to get even better

the complete MotoGP classification

1. Andrea Dovizioso - 84 Points
2. Fabio Quartararo - 83 Points
3. Maverick Viñales - 83 Points
4. Joan Mir - 80 Points
5. Franco Morbidelli 64 Points
6. Jack Miller - 64 Points
7. Takaaki Nakagami - 63 Points
8. Miguel Olivera- 59 Points
9. Valentino Rossi - 58 Points
10. Pol Espargaro - 57 Points

This seasons we've had: Quartararo, Olivera, Binder, Morbidelli winning for the first time ever, and Portugal, South Africa having MotoGP winners first time, with the french having waited for 20+ years.

We've had the satellite Yamaha team established last season winning three races, KTM winning with both their factory and satellite team for the first time. Tech3 won their first GP since Poncharal establised them 20+ years ago, and if it wasn't for debris on the track, Bagaia would've won the first race for Pramac, and his first MotoGP race, just weeks after breaking his leg...(he still uses crutches....)

The level of attrition and surprises this season has been overwhelming. The new Michelin rear tire, and MM93's absense has made a huge difference. Nothing is what it was, and no race has been even lose to being the same, even when there has been three races on the same track, back to back (Jerez, Spielberg & Misano)

Catalunya on Sunday is lining up to be even more intense. This track will be the last of the three weekend schedule, and the second to last weekend for the riders to rest. After they resume in France on the 11th of October, there will only be one weekend of resting, before Portimão on the 22nd of November!!
szola

Post by szola »

The lower classes are also quite fun to follow this season, with Moto2 being an Italian three horse race plus Lowes trying to hang on

1. Luca Marini - 125 Points
2. Enea Bastianini - 120 Points
3. Marco Bezzecchi - 105 Points
4. Sam Lowes - 83 Points

Jorge Martin was in contention unti a positive Covid test result ruled him out of the races in Misano. Sam was also in contention until he recieved a pit lane start penalty for Misano 1. Not is all lost, but the two lads who are looking for a MotoGP ride for next season pulling away, it will be a hard task to catch up.

The Moto3 crown was Albert Arenas bound until he crashed out last race. Now its a straight fight between him and Ai Ogura, and John McPhee plus Celestino Vietti lurking behind.

1. Albert Arenas - 119 Points
2. Ai Ogura - 117 Points
3. John McPhee - 98 Points
4. Celestino Vietti - 86 Points

For those who follow the championship closely will have noticed that the VR46 machine has started to gear up.
In MotoGP the VR Academy has had a race winner in Morbidelli and pole position/nearly race winner in Francesco Bagnaia.
Marini and Bezzecchi are VR riders, while Enea is a VR Academy product. Vietti is also a VR rider.
Talk about a major reshuffle of the teams for 2022 has also included the VR-brand stepping up to MotoGP with either Ducati or Suzuki....
The Doctor will not be leaving the championship any time soon it would seem.

The MotoE is also worth while, imo. Short and hectic races, with a wide open championship

1. Matteo Ferrari - 86 Points
2. Dominique Aegerter - 82 Points
3. Jordi Torres - 79 Points
4. Mattia Casadei - 71 Points
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Sam Lowes now leading MOTO 2 championship after 3 wins in a row.

Most importantly his bike and leathers colours are almost claret and blue so more than enough to cheer him on. :scarfer:
szola

Post by szola »

Three races to go, Valencia 1 & 2 + Portimao
One weekend off, then no letting up!!

MotoGP
1. Joan Mir - Suzuki - 137 Points
2. Fabio Quartararo - Yamaha - 123 points
3. Maverick Viñales - Yamaha - 118 points
4. Franco Morbidelli - Yamaha - 112 points
5. Andrea Dovizioso - Ducati - 109 points
6. Alex Rins - Suzuki - 105 points

Joan Mir leads the championship without having won a single race so far. In fact, he hasn't even a pole position. He hasn't had either in the MotoGP class or in the Moto2 class....

One of the strangest things in this odd year, is that Yamaha and Suzuki are the slowest bikes in the grid. The Honda and the Ducati's are mush faster. Dovizioso's 5th place so far in the standing also mask his complete failures in the qualifying sessions, often not even taking part in Q2...

Rins and Morbidelli need to win Valencia 1 to remain in touching distance of Mir. No wind, sunny skies would favour them. At the moment the forecast says wind and rain....

Moto2
1. Sam Lowes - 178 points
2. Enea Bastinanini - 171 points
3. Luca Marini - 155 points

Luca Marini had it, then crashed and hurt his leg, and is about to lose it to either Lowes or Bastianini.
Now, based on the races at Aragon, it has become Lowes' to lose. This will go down to the wire if both Lowes and Bastianini stay on their feet in Valencia

Moto3
1. Albert Arenas - 157 points
2. Ai Ogura - 138 points
3. Celestino Vietti - 137 points
4. Jaume Masia - 133 points
5. Tony Arbelino - 121 points
6. John McPhee - 119 points

Arenas has been able to take points in Valencia, not letting the closest rivals gain too much ground.Ogura is somehow still second, even if he been less than impressive in qualifying or in the races. Vietti, Masia has won, but not been consistent enough. Still enough points to gain in the last three races for them to have a chance. McPhee thou need a miracle.
Oxonhammer

Post by Oxonhammer »

Congratulations to Joan Mir becoming MotoGP champion today, consistency being rewarded.

How in earth Sam Lowes managed to finish the race after yesterday's horrid crash shows the level these riders are at (Alex Marquez must have also been in masses of pain too).

Going to be strange next year with no Brits in the premier class with Cal effectively retiring...will still go to Silverstone if we're allowed.

It has been a great season in all the MotoGP classes and WSBK has been good with Scotty giving Rea (6 time champion - no small feat) a bit of a battle.

Looking forward to seeing the GP bikes going round 'the rollercoaster' next weekend.
szola

Post by szola »

2020 might have brought may things to a stand still. MotoGP, all three classes, have produced some of the best championships ever!!!

A very humble and decent lad has won the most difficult motorracing championship, with what was thought to be one of the most difficult bikes to win with.
“Of course we have pressure, we are playing with our lives and have to be very focused on doing what we have to do, but in the end, it is our job.

I think there is real pressure, which luckily I do not have, my pressure is ‘good,’ if this year if I win the title it will be super good for me in every way, but if I don’t win, it will still be good.

But the people who cannot pay their rent due to COVID-19, these people who cannot bring food to the table, this is the real pressure, this is not good.

For sure when I get questions about pressure and about all of this [the title fight] I think about those people and I say no, I do not have pressure, this is my job, I will be good either way so I am privileged you know.”