That penalty

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Yodi
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

That penalty

Post by Yodi »

Like most people I have probably been wondering how you could send a 19 year old who has never taken a penalty to take last one...

Then I suddenly thought maybe that was the point, he had no penalty history. Today they analyise body shape and how people take pens so the keepers know what way to dive. Maybe they saw in training he could hit a sweet spot kick and that he would be a wildcard and confuse the Italians.... Sadly the moment was a bit too much for him and the keeper dived the right way

Also everyone instinctively says why did Stirling not take it.... We he has missed his last 3....

Someone has to miss sadly its normally us
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Re: That penalty

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Twelve Yards by Ben Lyttleton is the definite book on penalties. It may well explain the thinking or folly in giving the task to a penalty “virgin”
Yodi
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Yodi »

The Rushford one was the most painful, he won the battle of wits with the keeper and then missed an open goal
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 949 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

He obviously felt in facing a goalkeeper as big as a lighthouse he needed to stick the ball as close to the post as possible.

Bloody penalties.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Yodi wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:21 pm The Rushford one was the most painful, he won the battle of wits with the keeper and then missed an open goal
This was the key one, Belloti misses, who has never missed a pen, Rashford steps up who has taken quite a few, score than and I think we're away
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Stones, Shaw and Pickford should have been ahead of Saka in the queue, and Sancho for that matter
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Yodi wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:21 pm The Rushford one was the most painful, he won the battle of wits with the keeper and then missed an open goal
Agreed, and that is the one I expected this thread to be about.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:58 pm Stones, Shaw and Pickford should have been ahead of Saka in the queue, and Sancho for that matter
Sorry, I don't get it; why would Pickford be prioritised over an outfield player?
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:58 pm Sorry, I don't get it; why would Pickford be prioritised over an outfield player?
He kick ball good
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

I don't think he did win the battle of wits. That the keeper stayed so motionless for so long threw Marcus off, and even though Donarumma went the wrong way, he had put Rashford off just an extra fraction of a second.It threw his timing off, you could see it.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

e17 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:58 pm He kick ball good
Half the time against The Danes, he booted the ball off the pitch! It was like Rob Green out there :winker:
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Gareth could have been a genius if he had brought Nobes into the squad, not played him a single minute until the 119th minute of the final, and then given him one of those final 3 pens. Job done.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:58 pm Sorry, I don't get it; why would Pickford be prioritised over an outfield player?
Why not?
Chilavert usee to take penalties for Paraguay
Taking penalties, in a penalty shoot out, requires a unique skill set.
It isnt about how fast you are, or your positioning and movement, or vision, or whether you can finish a one on one or dribble round a player. A situation akin to a penalty almost never happens in the course of a normal game

It isnt about instinct which a lot of attacking players rely on

You need to have a decent technique to kick a ball accurately (ideally at pace) under pressure. You ha e to trust your technique. Goalkeepers kick a dead ball alot, often with great accuracy. They are also used to dealing with pressure. Their technique at actually kicking a ball is usually very good, esp the younger ones.

I wiykd fancy Pickford to pick his spot and his technique to not let him down. Or just larrup it hard and straight

Same with John Stones. A player with huge experience who also has great kicking technique
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

I don't think he did. To me he looked like a prize pillock as did Sancho with his "run up."

All the consistently best penalty takers have their routine so well drilled it's automated. There will still be occasions when they miss or it's saved, that's inevitable, but those two looked like they were making it up as they went along. Just like Zaza and Lookman.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Saka, I just feel desperately sorry for. It's all very well Southgate saying he takes responsibility after the event, he should have acted responsibly beforehand. Ridiculous decision and I hope it's not done any long term damage mentally to the lad.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

It looked like Rashford was trying to hard in his approach. If he just battered the ball hard and straight then we might still be celebrating now. I'm surprised that Sancho, having seen Rashford f*ck up, practically did the same.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

One thing is for sure: our defender took the best pen of the entire competition

Proper Terminator style rocket
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

e17 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:53 pm One thing is for sure: our defender took the best pen of the entire competition

Proper Terminator style rocket
Brilliant wasn't it?

Shearer took a mean penalty in England colours during shoot outs. Top left bin every time from memory.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

It is a real pressure situation in a shoot out. Remember, the penalty taker pĺfaces a long and agonising walk up to the ball from the half way line, that in itself gives the goalkeeper a psychological advantage and that before the goalkeeper begins to play mind games with the penalty taker and it is that which makes many a penalty takes change his mind. The very best penalty takers like Alan Shearer and Matt Le Tissier, uded to.make up their minds before taking the kick, they never made eye contact wth the goalkeeper, put the ball on the spot, wait for the refs whistle run up and belt it. Really, you should be able to beat a keeper from 12 yards, but statistics fromnstudy, clearly show a very high percentage of spot kicks are saved
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Strong believer in the ‘kick it as hard as you can’ penalty philosophy. You’d bet your house on a Stewart or Dicks taking a ten yard run up. All this psychological bollox - I was shouting ‘just whack it!!’