West Ham Utd 1-2 Manchester Utd (19/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Caribiron
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Manchester Utd: match thread

Post by Caribiron »

Eggchaser wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:23 pm Did she actually say "**** off Pogba you gobby ****?

If so be very proud :coolas: :winker:
:lol: sadly not, guess I'll have to settle with just proud
Antwerp_Lad
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Antwerp_Lad »

Weren't we told by everyone that they deserved a penalty for that ? :crylol:
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1874 likes
Total likes: 471 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Turns to Stone wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:11 pm Just a few things.

1. Mark Noble was statistically the person in our squad with the best chance of scoring that goal.
2. It would have ****ing incredible had Noble put it away.
3. Fortunes always hiding.

I love that Moyes did that. he has a tendency to be too programmed and unreactive to the match situation. He reacted, and it didn't pay off. But I loved it.

Moyes went up in my estimation for making a big call.
This :thup:
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Turns to Stone wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:11 pm Just a few things.

1. Mark Noble was statistically the person in our squad with the best chance of scoring that goal.
2. It would have ****ing incredible had Noble put it away.
3. Fortunes always hiding.

I love that Moyes did that. he has a tendency to be too programmed and unreactive to the match situation. He reacted, and it didn't pay off. But I loved it.

Moyes went up in my estimation for making a big call.
No guts, no glory. Gambled and lost, but what cojones from the boss and the skipper for giving it a crack.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1874 likes
Total likes: 471 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:25 pm "I'm proud of you love...."

(THWACK)

"... now watch your language!"

:lol: :lol:
:lol:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Having just watched the MOTD 2 highlights for the first time I agree with the panel that the Coufal one was a penalty (and I thought so at the time), but the other two were not

Having said that Zouma was nowhere near the ball so very rash to dive in like he did. On another day that gets given

As for the Soucek one, like the MOTD 2 panel said, that is a mystery why it wasn't given and even more of a mystery the foul was given the other way. If the ref had just thought it was six of one half a dozen of another and played on then Yarmo was in a very good position to score
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:28 pm As for the Soucek one, like the MOTD 2 panel said, that is a mystery why it wasn't given and even more of a mystery the foul was given the other way. If the ref had just thought it was six of one half a dozen of another and played on then Yarmo was in a very good position to score
The Soucek one must have been a mistaken belief that Yarmo was offside.

That's the only possible explanation.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 507 likes
Total likes: 1301 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:35 pm The Soucek one must have been a mistaken belief that Yarmo was offside.

That's the only possible explanation.
The lino didn’t flag though. The referee blew for a foul by Soucek.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:00 pm
Thanks Burnley Hammer :newthumb:
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Aceface wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:49 pm Bowen simultaneously had a good game overall and yet a terrible one as a frontman. All his good moments came in his usual areas, and in the tasks required of a centre forward – finishing the one or two half chances he was presented with in front of goal, taking the ball with his back to the defence, getting his head anywhere near an aerial cross (albeit it on a day when the supply via this route was uncharacteristically poor just when it needed to be more accurate than ever) – he was a 2/10.
Yeah, I gave him a 7/10 overall whilst thinking he showed he is not a striker at all. But then it was a generous 7, tipped that way from a 6 cos it's not his fault he's not a striker and he could have had two on a better day.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:28 pm Having just watched the MOTD 2 highlights for the first time I agree with the panel that the Coufal one was a penalty (and I thought so at the time), but the other two were not

Having said that Zouma was nowhere near the ball so very rash to dive in like he did. On another day that gets given

As for the Soucek one, like the MOTD 2 panel said, that is a mystery why it wasn't given and even more of a mystery the foul was given the other way. If the ref had just thought it was six of one half a dozen of another and played on then Yarmo was in a very good position to score
I thought he'd give it but would like those things to be challenged more. He should not get a penalty for initiating the contact as he is thus not impeded. For my money, he cost himself a penalty. The second one, I think Zouma made the challenge of a man who thought the game was lost and was annoyed.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1489 likes

Post by smuts »

If Ronaldo stayed on his feet he'd probably have won 2 penalties...which begs the question if the ref saw it as we did which is he's going to ground before contact then why wasn't he booked?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

smuts wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:40 pm If Ronaldo stayed on his feet he'd probably have won 2 penalties...which begs the question if the ref saw it as we did which is he's going to ground before contact then why wasn't he booked?
Exactly - he should have been sent off for persistent diving. A retrospective ban should be considered, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:59 pm Exactly - he should have been sent off for persistent diving. A retrospective ban should be considered, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Ban him?
2 blatant penalties that we got away with thanks to the referee.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:40 pm Ban him?
2 blatant penalties that we got away with thanks to the referee.
Yup - for constantly throwing himself to the floor. Doesn't matter if one of them could have been given, he should have been booked long before.
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:49 pm Yup - for constantly throwing himself to the floor. Doesn't matter if one of them could have been given, he should have been booked long before.
Personally disagree.
The take away I got from the Coufal and Zouma penalties is disappointment that defenders under Moyes, notorious for being defensively sound, amateurishly threw themselves to the floor in their own penalties area.
I hope Moyes can get Coufal back on track and cut out these 'moments' from Zoumas game. Add to this the poor line for Ronaldos goal, three drfenders at different levels, the dreaded diagonal defensive line, and it seems the defence needs s bit of work.
I hope none of the first team defence play at Man Utd and spend the week being coached.
Captain Black
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Captain Black »

Turtle....

The Twitter clip that Antwerp_Lad has posted above shows clearly Ronaldo, dragging his right foot on the ground, starting his fall before Zouma got near him and also shows him moving his right leg away from him and into Zoumas left thigh..........never a pen in a million years, if Ronaldo hadn't moved his leg over to hit Zouma I'm not even sure they would have touched......Just my opinion though. :chin:
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Cheat
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1335 likes
Total likes: 796 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Both things are true. Zouma went in wrecklessly, and Ronaldo saw it coming and went down. I think it's a penalty.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

You're right that the challenge is reckless, but the response to it is clearly simulated.

We may as well give up the game as a contact sport if people can have penalties when the spot a reckless challenge and then adapt their pace and bodily movement to make it into something worse.