Leeds Utd 1-2 West Ham Utd (25/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Re: ⚽ Leeds Utd vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by irving boleyn »

Try and get a look at Phillips chasing back after Fournals in the one to one situation.

Went heavily into the back of him, hurting him considerably with no justification.

The ball was still live. Why no infringement called?
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Thought that at the time - he meant to hurt Fornals, could have avoided the contact but instead left some on. And he did that a couple of other times, once on Bowen. Dirty player.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

irving boleyn wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:42 pm Try and get a look at Phillips chasing back after Fournals in the one to one situation.

Went heavily into the back of him, hurting him considerably with no justification.

The ball was still live. Why no infringement called?
I thought precisely that, too.

Fornals isn't a play-actor.

I thought it showed pretty poor playing judgement, too. Fornals basically ran half the length of the pitch unchallenged.
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:36 pm World class. That's some statement.

I stated British type CH. No frills but defends for his life type.
I'd call Bilic a British type CH when he was with us.
Bilic is Croatian. Always has and always will be. He's a Croatian type of defender not British. You're still talking b*llocks AND on a wind up as other, much respected, posters have said.
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

DM wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:14 pm Bilic is Croatian. Always has and always will be. He's a Croatian type of defender not British. You're still talking b*llocks AND on a wind up as other, much respected, posters have said.
Nice insulting post on a football forum, not echo chamber, made for opinions.

If you want to talk about other posters, I dont think you'll get ONE who agreed with you that Zouma is world class.
World class defender signs for West Ham for £25 million??!?!??
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

We weren't great first half, but much better second. They visibly started to tire in the last 15/20.

Disallowed goal was fair, but I thought the yellow was harsh given Antonio was merely jumping for the ball. Some people asked for a red, wtf?

Worry for me was how open the game was at times, we lacked ability to impose any control and relied on Leeds being profligate at times.

Still, another win where we werent great and might have lost, and we're still 3 points up on corresponding fixtures from last season.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Dodged a bullet with Firpo I reckon.
Didn't think much of him and suits a disorganised free spirited Leeds defence
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

Joffrey wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:03 pm One thing that was mentioned in the commentary was that we were “flat” against their back 4, our attacking players not dropping off for the ball nor making runs in behind. Difficult to tell on TV, did that come across for those that were there? Might explain why defensive players like Zouma were bringing the ball forward themselves if it was static ahead.
Bielsa goes man for man for man marking. When balls were played into Antonio the young defender Cresswell was breathing down his neck. Until more gaps appeared there was a bit of frustration about the lack of movement at times, though having said that we still created plenty of chances.
I think the way Leeds play they invite you on, waiting for a defensive error ( see Soucek) after Zouma had ventured forward, or win the ball back and break at speed.So not sure if Zouma was instructed to exploit the space or if he took the initiative?
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:28 pm Nice insulting post on a football forum, not echo chamber, made for opinions.

If you want to talk about other posters, I dont think you'll get ONE who agreed with you that Zouma is world class.
World class defender signs for West Ham for £25 million??!?!??
Unfortunately, it's true what they say. Never argue with an idiot as they'll bring you down to their level and beat you by experience.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I'd rather have Zouma getting forward every so often than Craig Dawson barely controlling the ball on the edge of our own box.

I don't think it's unfair to point out that he can't do that as often as he did on Saturday, though. He's more than likely used to playing in a higher line than we do, which is what's leading to it. The thing to do, and one thing we did do, is that if Zouma does go on one of those runs one of Soucek and Rice has to cover it off. Soucek was doing that when we conceded, and unfortunately he muffed it.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Zouma being in that position isn't a problem. Soucek has dropped in where you'd want the right sided centre back and everyone else looks pretty well set

Soucek can't give the ball away there and probably should give away a free kick/take a booking once he has done so. The problem with Zouma is the tracking back, he doesn't even come back into shot until the ball hits the back of the net.

EDIT: Probably should have taken the screenshot when Zouma passed it back. Soucek's desperate recovery makes it look worse than it was :crylol:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Diop likes a foray forward every now and then and I’ve noticed ogbonna has found himself in attacking situations a few times recently. Maybe it is something we are developing. I like it. Adds to the random chaos factor.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Leeds United
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136253

steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

The fella who claimed Antonio should of been sent off I found amusing. A centre forward has every right to challenge for an aerial ball in front of goal.

We weren’t really at it first half, started brightly but Leeds’ intensity was high. They fizzled out in the second half like most Bielsa teams do. He demands too much from players to go all out for 90 minutes sometimes it just not possible.

Brilliant to see West Ham snatch a win like that in the dying minutes, especially away from home. Rice’s pass and the finish from Antonio were just top drawer, a worthy match winner.
loftyboy
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by loftyboy »

One of the last posters on the OV reckons our team is worth £320m. They must value Rice even more highly than we do😂
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Not a terrible OV, all things considered. Plenty of realists who are aware of their team’s weaknesses and deficiencies. The normal handful of delusional whiners, but generally a fairly balanced outlook. FWIW, they do need to develop some alternative strategies but there’s enough there for me to think they’ll be okay over 38 games.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

loftyboy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:56 am One of the last posters on the OV reckons our team is worth £320m. They must value Rice even more highly than we do😂
Rice 100mil
Soucek 40mil
Zouma 25mil
Bowen 40mil
Benrahma 30mil
Diop 20mil
Vlasic 25mil
Antonio 15mil
Coufal 30mil

That’s just 9 players and already there 👍
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

pretty decent OV to be honest

they are a good side and will be mid table i reckon - they just got beat by a very good west ham side

great win for us

its funny isnt it that when we go 1-0 down im confident in us pulling it back - in the past used to think that 1-0 will soon turn into 3 or 4 -0
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

steps wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:11 am ...........

Brilliant to see West Ham snatch a win like that in the dying minutes, especially away from home. Rice’s pass and the finish from Antonio were just top drawer, a worthy match winner.
Don't underestimate the quality of Vlasic's lifted pass to Rice either. 'Twas a thing of beauty.

Thinking about it, it was Antonio who won a defensive header just outside our penalty area which dropped to Vlasic, a few seconds later he was scoring at the other end of the pitch. No wonder he looked shattered after the game :grin:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Disappointed by the OV, aside from a few complaints over the foul by Antonio they are a reasonable bunch.