EL: West Ham Utd 2-0 Rapid Wien (30/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Rapid Wien: match thread

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

fjthegrey wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:23 am Johnson was clearly not MOTM yesterday.

Bloke is a really strong defender, borderline useless with the ball at his feet.

The difference in quality between him and Cresswell really stood out.
That's really harsh.
In possession I do feel his quality is inconsistent, one decent ball followed by one poor ball, but he had a decent game yesterday
Imo, he doesn't have the quality on the ball to be a regular PL starter but his defensive strength means, for a club like West Ham, he's a really good reserve/substitute to bring on/in in certain games to see out game or give a regular player going through a dip in form (coufal at the moment?) a break.
MK-Hammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 133 likes

Post by MK-Hammer »

Centre Half wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:58 am Agree with this. Also the fact he constantly passes back is so frustrating.

The short corners were completely baffling, cresswell from the other side was causing them loads of problems with his delivery. Noble as an experienced player should have realised this, not sure why he kept demanding the ball short when they were taken from the other side.

Most frustrating though is all the extra touches, he slows the game down so much.

Thought it was poor by Moyes to have him and Yarmolenko in the same team. We look so pedestrian having two blokes who can’t run in the same side, as well as both taking an age to do anything on the ball.
Agree with both these comments about Noble ….
Rice’s game seems to suffer when he plays with Noble …he tends to defer too much to Noble & let Noble dictate the play …which slows the game down ….too many touches …backwards & sideways passes…..
We definitely picked up in midfield last night when Noble was subbed & very noticeably when Fornals came on.

Noble could squad player this year …but for the really tough games he doesn’t start for me.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

MK-Hammer wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:39 am
Noble could squad player this year …but for the really tough games he doesn’t start for me.
Which is what we are seeing I believe.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Watched the game on tv last night. with a bit more luck in front of goal we would have blown them away in the first 20 minutes.
Dawson was fantastic and I thought Antonio put in a good shift. Bowen did really well when he came on but I was massively disappointed with lanzini. He didn’t try to impose himself on the game and just coasted through the last half an hour.
Re Noble: he deserved the respect afforded last night to lead the team out, we all know he is well off the pace but he is still able to do a job in these types of matches.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

MK-Hammer wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:39 am Agree with both these comments about Noble ….
Rice’s game seems to suffer when he plays with Noble …he tends to defer too much to Noble & let Noble dictate the play …which slows the game down ….too many touches …backwards & sideways passes…..
We definitely picked up in midfield last night when Noble was subbed & very noticeably when Fornals came on.

We were far more effective the first half when Noble was on the pitch. Soucek coming on made me real difference. It was the introduction of Formals that gave us the spark
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Think we got away with one last night... Team was slightly weaker than i would have liked. Obviously we could have been 2 up after 20 mins... but when we needed to up the play in the second half we weren't able to until the subs came on.

Thought Johnson, Diop, Yarmolenko and Rice were excellent. Bit disappointed with Noble, Lanzini and Vlasic

I like the idea we are experimenting with free kicks and corners but blimey when it doesn't come off we look like absolute mugs.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

While I don't think Moyes is necessarily prone to sentimentality, there was something in my gut that really got me when I saw Noble leading us out at home for a European game. Questions about whether he should be starting games like that for us are fine and I accept them, but for a one of emotional moment, that was worth it.

He did nothing wrong last night. He might have been a little off the pace, but nothing actually technically wrong with his play.

No other British team has won a game in the Europa this season :scarfer: Heck, the other three only have one point between them.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Great night, another professional display, didn't even need to get out of second gear.

Top of the group, two wins, no goals conceded buzzing!

Atmosphere was great down in our section, European football under the lights in a packed stadium is a winner for me!
stammer
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by stammer »

simon1982 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:49 am I thought Antonio put in a good shift.
Other than the assist which was fantastic, I thought he had aladdin's slippers on with a number of his touches.
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Skybet now have us as outright favourites to win the tournament. We are ****ing massive.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

mushy wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:00 am We were far more effective the first half when Noble was on the pitch. Soucek coming on made me real difference. It was the introduction of Formals that gave us the spark
I agree with this.
At times European football it seems you need possession.
We didn't do that for last 30.

Lanzini should have played deeper and let soucek steam into the box
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

r99c wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:21 pm Skybet now have us as outright favourites to win the tournament. We are ****ing massive.
It kills me how much that depends on an extremely fortunate bill of health. But IF we stay fit, there's no reason we can't.

Part of that is that we actually have the desire to win it. I suspect half the reason Sevilla always do so well is because they don't see it as a consolation, but a thing that would be an honour to win. I'm not sure something that sounds on the surface to be obvious in practice holds true for many of the sides competing.

Even Leicester, who have tasted CL proper and have been on the cusp of it two years running only to flake at the final hurdle – I get the sense it feels like a booby prize to them. I'm sure if we were in it for a few years we'd eventually get the same way but as things stand the hunger to actually win it will hold us in good stead.

From memory it's only been won by a team dropping from the CL one-third of the time. So while it's always a fear you encounter a strong team that faltered but gets its act together late on in the season, historically the CL teams haven't fared as well as you might think. Again, I suspect it's partly desire – picking yourself off after dropping from the big league is probably not the easiest.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Skandi Brudson wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:29 am Too much talk about possibly winning this competition on tv last night and on here occasionally. We’ve had a brilliant start but that performance last night won’t do against teams in the knock out stage.

On a side note, it struck me how rare it is to see a professional athlete trip over his own feet anywhere else besides the penalty area.
This is just a pointless thing to point out. It will be a completely different game, in different circumstances with a different line up. We didn’t need to play that well to beat these. The players and managers knew that and got the job done whilst conserving as much energy as they could.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2364 likes

Post by Ozza »

We won last night right?

I do wonder at times reading some of the stuff on here. The manager got to shuffle the pack, Noble led out his only ever club on a proper European night, Declan took another step forwards in is development, Yarmo got a proper run out.....

We won 2-0....

Don't see what all the teeth gnashing is all about really
ChazHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ChazHammer »

Centre Half wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:58 am Thought it was poor by Moyes to have him and Yarmolenko in the same team. We look so pedestrian having two blokes who can’t run in the same side, as well as both taking an age to do anything on the ball.
Moyes has to pick a team to win, while also resting others so that they don't burn out mid-season.
Since we won, I really don't see how the selection policy can be questioned. We can't play our best team every match, with the added games we need to rotate and use the squad.
I actually enjoy seeing some fringe players get some game time in competitive games.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Was just having a look around some other forums and football outlets etc....

Amazing how many people think that, either...

A.) Tottenham are playing in the Europa League.

or

B.) West Ham are playing in the Conference alongside Tottenham.

Not helped, one suspects, by the BBC leading with the Spurs game on their website last night. Despite the competition being utterly micky mouse......(Tottenham may have turned a corner apparently)

Both competitions being played on the same night has given it a sort of cross-fertilization appearance to many........and the differences not properly explained by media and panels imo.

:clown:
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Ozza wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:49 pm Don't see what all the teeth gnashing is all about really
Where?

Everyone seems happy to me, whilst acknowledging a professional performance, it wasn't one of high quality, and one we certainly made hard work of in the second half.
Deepster
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by Deepster »

Where is the final being held ...asking for a friend
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Deepster wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:53 pm Where is the final being held ...asking for a friend
Seville, isn't it?

Amazing city.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Yarmolenko: best game he's had for us for a long time. Put in a shift and looks like he's buying into DM's philosophy.

Noble: good game at Man Utd but thought he was poor last night - held onto the ball too long and slowed all of our attacks down.

Rice: we've all got used to him playing really well. Week in, week out, class.

Dawson & Diop: Solid.

It wasn't an AMAZING performance but really professional. Two wins from two and another clean sheet. A bit of rotation and hopefully we go out all guns blazing against Brentford.