Sobriety

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Re: Are these figures correct?

Post by S-H »

fjthegrey wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:46 pm I've decided I'm gonna cane it in December, with a view to having a substantial break next year.
This is my plan, also.

Been off it for 4 months.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

fjthegrey wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:46 pm I've decided I'm gonna cane it in December, with a view to having a substantial break next year.
Do a year off, mate.

Thank me - and yourself - this time next year.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:31 pm Do a year off, mate.

Thank me - and yourself - this time next year.
Yeah I've done a year before, and 9 months after I turned 18 as well, just to show people I could (and be a non-comformist, cos I was edgy and cool :clown:)

Will defo try to do a few months at least. Gotta get back in a healthier pattern.
Lars Jacobsen
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by Lars Jacobsen »

S-H wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:43 pm Nice one, mate.

Keep going.

:newthumb:
Cheers. Not aiming for any big goal, just a reset and to make drinking a weekend thing.
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

I lasted 10 days and 20 hours.

Had my first decent kip in 11 nights :lol:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Had two days off the beer and dreamt I was at work.

f*** that.
DrVenk
Has liked: 362 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Post by DrVenk »

fjthegrey wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:30 pm I've bought a bottle. Will see how it goes and report back. Guy who created it seems like a smart man.
Stack Glycine, Tart Cherry, l-Theanine, and Magnesium. The GABA will flow.
Lars Jacobsen

Post by Lars Jacobsen »

Hi guys, little self-congratulation in order!

Today was day 6 AF - not my goal to go AF even in the short-term, but needed to reset and give my body a break.

6 days may not seem like much, but today was my work Christmas party with an open bar. I stayed totally sober.

One more day AF tomorrow and then I will treat myself to a couple of glasses of wine on Friday.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 411 likes

Post by PF. »

Saturday July 17th 2021 was my last beer (and it was a very heavy weekend session).

I've passed the pub and away game tests with flying colours and now will get through Christmas sober as a judge. I was always concerned whether it would affect my friendships but they've been brilliantly supportive.

I'm a better man (and father) for it.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Lars Jacobsen wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:40 am Hi guys, little self-congratulation in order!

Today was day 6 AF - not my goal to go AF even in the short-term, but needed to reset and give my body a break.

6 days may not seem like much, but today was my work Christmas party with an open bar. I stayed totally sober.

One more day AF tomorrow and then I will treat myself to a couple of glasses of wine on Friday.
Well done mate! Work do's, events, birthdays, Christmases etc. are about as tough as it gets IMO as others are drinking.

I've managed two years about a week ago. It took a good 6 months for me to not think about the booze as much and nowadays I barely think about it at all other than choosing an AF drink.
S-H

Post by S-H »

I've decided that as of January the 1st, I'm going to try a year off the booze.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 411 likes

Post by PF. »

S-H wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:42 am I've decided that as of January the 1st, I'm going to try a year off the booze.
Good for you SF - and the very best of luck with it.
Lars Jacobsen

Post by Lars Jacobsen »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:37 am Well done mate! Work do's, events, birthdays, Christmases etc. are about as tough as it gets IMO as others are drinking.

I've managed two years about a week ago. It took a good 6 months for me to not think about the booze as much and nowadays I barely think about it at all other than choosing an AF drink.
Nice work! What prompted that?
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

S-H wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:42 am I've decided that as of January the 1st, I'm going to try a year off the booze.
Good luck with that, mate :newthumb:

I'm on Day 3 (again :lol: ). Have a 5k run for a kids charity on Sunday so need to be feeling half decent as I've barely run these last few months due to dodgy knees. Should muddle through in about 32 minutes or so.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1682 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

I was on the waggon for 17 days prior to 1st December and then went of two heavy drinking sessions. I then came off the booze on 4th December and I haven't had a alcoholic drink since. This is for various reasons.

The first is that I didn't really want to have a drink, despite having a fridge chocked to the rafters with beer, spirts and wine. I just didn't fancy one - or more.

Secondly is that I've been running my old man about to various medical appointments with the biggie coming this Thursday. I've got a 1 1/2 drive to a place I've never been to before at stupid oclock, he's gotta have his proccedure, which could take all day. Then I have to drive him home and make sure he's comfortable. So I want to be totally, totally sober for this, with absolutely 0 alcohol in my bloodstream because I want to be completely focused. And if, by chance, I do run into some of our finest along the way to the appointment, they can't do the old "Do I smell alcohol on your breath, Sir?" malarky.

The third is that I have a non covid (i've been tested and tripple jabbed) cold and the last thing I want is a drink.

I'm going to see hwow long I can go with this. I was gonna have a drinkover the xmas period, but if my Father takes a turn for the worse and I have to rush him to hospital, I'm the only designated driver, so i refer you to point two, M'lud, :)
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Day 5 now & I had a fantastic kip last night, including a great dream about a lesbian ex colleague.

We didn't shag, we just went out on a massive drinking session :lol:

But I'm as groggy as f*ck in the mornings. On the booze I feel rougher but I get up & do stuff (out of guilt?) & feel like I HAVE to sweat it out.

Now I just stumble about drinking strong tea & fuzzy headed.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

What year?
S-H

Post by S-H »

Samba wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:37 pmWhat year?
Yet to be confirmed.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

S-H wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:50 pm Yet to be confirmed.
:crylol: :newthumb:
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Lars Jacobsen wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:12 pm Nice work! What prompted that?
Mostly the quantity i drank in one sitting (around 10-12 pints, and/or half a litre of gin). I couldn't really control moderation and i was starting to get hungover more often so it affected my interaction with my then 2 year old daughter on a weekend morning.

I'm glad i did it, and although occasionally fancy a cold pint, i feel better for it. Definitely saved a small fortune tol which is nice