FM22

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

FM22

Post by Up the Junction »

I've long since given up on this series, ever since it became more about micro management and tweaking settings than actual football.

Wondering if anyone's playing the latest version and how it compares with the recent iterations?
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Re: FM22

Post by PF. »

Yet to give up on it but certainly reduced hours of play time over the years!

I've downloaded and played for 2 seasons - I'm generally impressed. The key addition is a section entitled "data hub" which I assume is modelled on the data sets clubs IRL use.

My initial thoughts were that this was another addition that was not needed and would add more complexity. Far from it. The data hub essentially guides you to tweak your tactics (and training if you're so inclined) and is much easier than having to sit and watch extended highlights and work out for yourself whether "work in the box" or "force out wide" is effective.

There's a ton of administrative stuff that I delegate to my Technical Manager and with my Academy Manager / Loan Manager / DoF running all of the other stuff I find tedious, I can get on with managing the first team as a "first team coach".

I'm going to say it's too easy - simply because I've never experienced similar success (I finished 4th in the 21/22 and won the Champions League in 22/23 with no signings). Zouma has headed double figures from Cresswell corners in both seasons.

I'm 10 games into the third season with additions into the squad (Ward Prowse, Tammy Abraham & Zinchenko) but still finding it enjoyable enough. I'm trying to mould Declan into Bobby Moore as a Ball-Playing Defender at the moment - and his performances are terrible (!) - so need to work out the solution (although PSG are sniffing and he doesn't want to commit to the club).
BabyClaret
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by BabyClaret »

I play the Touch version on the Switch (the only console that has the Touch iteration this time around) - I find it a bit more manageable but if I had a laptop (next on the list) I would play the full version.

I understand the Touch version this year is fleshed out with more playable divisions in one save and also has the data hub but doesn't have the micromanagement options in training and all the press interactions.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

Played a lot of the Xbox version of FM21 which was the right level of detail.

The new one needs some work based on my initial play time. Will probably get back into it after a patch or two.

I just don't have the time for the full fat version anymore!
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

The match engine has never been 100%
There have always been plug and play tactics that can elevate mid-level teams to CL glory

By the sound of it, it still has that fault
ArtieTheIron
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ArtieTheIron »

I've got my trusty copy of FM10 and I'm still playing it! :crossed: Somehow none of the latter installments worked nearly as well for me, and they also developed a nasty habit of crashing which FM10 just NEVER DOES unless you mess with the editor too much.

It's also fascinating in hindsight, their researchers definitely didn't rate Pogba and Kane much back in 2009, neither of them gets anywhere near international football.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

szola wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:08 pm The match engine has never been 100%
There have always been plug and play tactics that can elevate mid-level teams to CL glory

By the sound of it, it still has that fault
That is very true and I tend to stay away from (what I see as )the exploits though it makes the game bloody hard in the prem unless you are milking the wonder kids.

The problem with FM22 is some aspects of it are just plain broken. Inverted wingers who don’t invert, get to the byline and then cross (either with their weaker foot or worse they cut back on their stronger foot taking an age to do it).

There is also a possession bug which basically means there is only one way to play effectively currently.

It is the same every year where you get a workable version by about Feb/March.
bobby0303
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by bobby0303 »

Been enjoying this years FM. Got hooked for the first time in years.

As PF. says above though, it's probably a bit too easy. I made a couple of small signings in my first season and finished 2nd, losing the title on the last day to Man Utd on goal difference playing a similar counter-attacking formation to Moyes. Mariano from Real Madrid replaced Antonio up top and got 22 goals.

I think they need to adjust the effect of morale slightly in the game. We all know it's important, but I started the season with a couple of wins, morale was high, and I kept it topped up with a few player interactions and I got results all season, bar the usual Christmas run which didn't go so well (lost in the FA cup to Bristol Rovers, too. Typical.)

The Spuds on the other hand had a couple of bad results, morale plummeted and they never recovered, finishing 20th and getting relegated (if only!). Currently in the 2nd season, their best players have all been picked off - I helped myself to Reguillon to replace an ageing and injured Cresswell - except Kane because nobody seems to be able to afford his wages. He had a slight interest in joining me at the end of the transfer window but wanted 400 grand a week.

10 games in now, I'm 4 points clear at the top. Rice still gets terrible ratings every game though. Oh, and everyone got pissed off that I 'let' Noble leave :(
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

bobby0303 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:53 am Been enjoying this years FM. it's probably a bit too easy.
:smiler:
bobby0303 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:53 am Rice still gets terrible ratings every game though. Oh, and everyone got pissed off that I 'let' Noble leave :(
It's been like that for years. Rice gets terrible ratings, in fact holding midfielders or central midfielders generally get terrible ratings.
Goals are rewarded, and to a degree assists. The rest is a joke.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I really like this years version but if you dont enjoy the extras on top then i definitely recommend going for the Touch versions as they are bit lighter. The press conferences,scout meetings, training meetings etc can get tedious. On the flip side i let my staff do the training, i have a DoF for the scouting so a lot of that nonsense is taken away. I think the scouting is a lot better now, i can trust them to idnetify good players and i make the final decision.

As mentioned above, the data hub is a really cool additon :newthumb:

I am West Ham this season, something i never do, i usually start in the National League ir League 2 and work my way up.

I finished 6th place in the League and got to the quarter finals in the Europa League. I got done by Benfica, they scored 2 goals in the first 2 minutes in the home leg (think i got done by a bug there as that just doesnt happen!). It was game over from there, i had to open up and got punished. Decent first season though and still in Europe, got a bit of a clear out planned with some decent free agents on their way to bring down the average age.
bobby0303
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by bobby0303 »

szola wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:06 am :smiler:
Indeed, I never did like too much of a challenge! (a bit more would be good, though). Thankfully on the whole the entire game just seems to work quite well this year - having said that, I am just waiting for my inverted wingers to stop running to the byline, only to turn back before passing it to the striker who takes a first time shot that gets blocked for a corner. Happens several times, every game.