Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Fury is the best of this era/generation in this division. I don't think that can be disputed now.

Take a bow Sir Gypsy King. :clap: :clap:
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Pretty similar to the second from the 5th onwards, just last time Breland threw the towel in and stopped them final three rounds of punishment. Problem for Fury is now he needs to stay focus, he has reached the mountain again, bar Uysk he has no real challengers.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

jastons wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:05 am I very much doubt they will ever fight but Fury destroys Joshua.
Joshua doesn't deserve to be on the same card as Fury, let alone share a ring with him.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2383 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Never should have doubted him. Epic fight. Epic performance. :clap:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1667 likes
Total likes: 517 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

For those of you who haven't seen it
Shabu
Has liked: 4186 likes
Total likes: 2047 likes

Post by Shabu »

fmgod wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:34 am Pretty similar to the second from the 5th onwards, just last time Breland threw the towel in and stopped them final three rounds of punishment. Problem for Fury is now he needs to stay focus, he has reached the mountain again, bar Uysk he has no real challengers.
Spot on. I know a man with his punch nearly always has a chance but he was just getting beaten up in there.

Fury has to fight the winner of Whyte v Wallin. He's already easily beaten Wallin (I know about the cut) so we should hope Whyte wins so Fury can get up a bit for the challenge. He shouldn't have too much trouble with Whyte but it's trouble within himself that we need to worry about.

Outside of that it's just the winner of Usyk v Joshua II which won't happen until late summer next year at the earliest. I feel that Fury v Usyk would be horrible to watch (especially compared to last night) so the only hope for excitement next year is Joshua blasting out Usyk (I'll give that about 0.5% chance of happening :lol: ).
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Joe Joyce maybe gives him a few problems with his size, fitness and chin. Wouldn’t be a great watch though.

Fury is just brilliant though isn’t he? I’ve even warmed to him as a bloke. Loved his comments after the fight. Seems quite genuine.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Shabu wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:40 pm Spot on. I know a man with his punch nearly always has a chance but he was just getting beaten up in there.

Fury has to fight the winner of Whyte v Wallin. He's already easily beaten Wallin (I know about the cut) so we should hope Whyte wins so Fury can get up a bit for the challenge. He shouldn't have too much trouble with Whyte but it's trouble within himself that we need to worry about.

Outside of that it's just the winner of Usyk v Joshua II which won't happen until late summer next year at the earliest. I feel that Fury v Usyk would be horrible to watch (especially compared to last night) so the only hope for excitement next year is Joshua blasting out Usyk (I'll give that about 0.5% chance of happening :lol: ).
The other main issue will be money, if Fury is going to fight in the US again, Usyk and Whyte aren't names in America nor can Usyk speak English.

Fury vs Usyk would be one for the purists really, last night was perfect as Fury for the purists who can also mix it and Wilder who is just always looking for the Hollywood bomb.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2651 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:09 pm Joe Joyce maybe gives him a few problems with his size, fitness and chin. Wouldn’t be a great watch though.

Fury is just brilliant though isn’t he? I’ve even warmed to him as a bloke. Loved his comments after the fight. Seems quite genuine.
He is. A genuine character that has been through some horrible times and a fantastic talent too. It is hard not to like him.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

The Cheeseman scrap and following scouse-off were good as well. That was as good a night of boxing as I can remember.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

jastons wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:05 am I very much doubt they will ever fight but Fury destroys Joshua.
All day long and Usyk
WCpete
Has liked: 1462 likes
Total likes: 3151 likes

Post by WCpete »

Was the Snchez v Ajagba fight any good?

Here's a not very good quality video of the main event, in case you missed it.

Last edited by WCpete on Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

EvilC wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:00 pm The Cheeseman scrap and following scouse-off were good as well. That was as good a night of boxing as I can remember.
Sadly Chessman as a youngster wasn't a bad boxer, he made a few quid but then had a gambling problem, so he needs to fight to make money and seems to have taken on this reckless but very entertaining style, sadly at only just 26 he will be very luck if he doesn't end up in serious trouble
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Some sense from Andre Ward.....

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

WCpete wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:06 pm Was the Snchez v Ajagba fight any good?

Here's a not very good quality video of the main event, in case you missed it.

Not really. I picked Sanchez by late stoppage but he did just enough. He was so much smarter than Ajagba who I don't really rate too highly. He just did his thing, took no chances & piled up the points.
Denzil
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 524 likes

Post by Denzil »

The Cheeseman fight was probably my fight of the year.

I still feel shattered after getting up at 3am to watch both Sanchez v Ajagba (wish I had not bothered) and Fury v Wilder.

Wilder came out with a game plan and actually looked like he might have a go at boxing Fury, but that went out the window as soon as he was caught and dropped in the third. In fairness to him, he gave a much better account of himself than he did in fight II but other than round four and a few times when Fury got complacent, it was very much a one way street, especially once Steward told Fury to work the jab and he just boxed him for two rounds before sparking him.

Despite loving the KO I was a bit upset to not see it go the distance as I had a decent bet on Smith by stoppage and Fury via unanimous but that KO softened the blow (except for Wilder :coolas: )

Great night of boxing.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

fmgod wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:20 pm Sadly Chessman as a youngster wasn't a bad boxer, he made a few quid but then had a gambling problem, so he needs to fight to make money and seems to have taken on this reckless but very entertaining style, sadly at only just 26 he will be very luck if he doesn't end up in serious trouble
Indeed, having seen that fight I worry about the bloke. Like you say, he's still very young.
WCpete
Has liked: 1462 likes
Total likes: 3151 likes

Post by WCpete »

Every time there's a marquis heavyweight fight, I end up trolling youtube for interviews, highlights etc, and invariably I end up down the wormhole of streetbeefs back yard bouts, or something similar. Then it takes me a day or two to stop watching these, by which time my youtube algorithm is all screwed up and I end up exclusively being served every manner of combat sports for weeks.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Kimbo Slice spam for days. :)
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Morocco Mole wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:22 am Kimbo Slice spam for days. :)
RIP