Tuesday, 19th March 2019
TWO protests planned for next home match
Filed: Tuesday, 13th March 2018
Author: Staff Writer
The West Ham United Independent Supporters' Association (WHUISA) are polling members with view to staging a protest ahead of the club's next Premier League home fixture with Southampton on 31 March.
The ISA, who were one of several parties represented at recent negotiations with Karren Brady have announced their intentions to follow up last week's failed attempts to stage a protest march with another later this month.
Chairman Mark Walker told the BBC: "If the majority of members want a march, it is our obligation to do that. A lot of people were geared up to express their disappointment [last week].
"I don't think you will see a repeat of that going forward, but that is only if the supporters are given the opportunity they want to express how they feel about the board."
Embed from Getty Images
Meanwhile, the Real West Ham Fans (RWHF) group - who previously worked alongside the ISA under the West Ham Groups United (WHGU) banner - have announced their own plans to stage a "static" demonstration on the same day.
A statement posted on social media by RWHF representative Greg Smith read: "RWHF have today held our first committee meeting.
"After having consulted all other fan groups within our group we have decided to fully support the protest group by way of a static demonstration prior to the home fixture versus Southampton.
"The Public Order Act 1986 makes a distinction between processions and assemblies. A procession is said to be defined as people moving together along a route whereby a static protest is termed an assembly..."
The RWHF - formerly known as the RWHFAG, prior to dropping the 'Action Group' part of their name following the cessation of recent talks with the Board - had initially planned to march prior to last weekend's Burnley clash.
Those plans were shelved just nine days before the event was due to take place, leading to the ISA attempting to resurrect the march in order to satisfy the many hundreds of supporters - possibly more - that had expressed a preference to continue regardless.
WHUISA's attempts to revive the march ultimately failed when they were unable to gain the support of the authorities, who declared that there was insufficient time in which to arrange a route and provide necessary resources.
Embed from Getty Images
With so many supporters unable to express their dissatisfaction with events at the club, it was perhaps no surprise that once Burnley scored the opening goal on Saturday - just a matter of hours after the procession had been due to take place - some took to the pitch or underneath the Directors' Box in order to have their voice heard.
Now, both WHUISA and RWHF seem set to renew the pressure on the Board with further protests - whilst the team, with four defeats in the least five games, falls ever closer to the Premier League trap door.