Filed: Thursday, 10th July 2003
By: Graeme Howlett
Teenage defender Glen Johnson is the latest Hammer to be linked with a move away from Upton Park, with reports of a £6m bid from Chelsea being reported this morning.
Chelsea, according to this morning's Sun have had a £6m bid for the 18-year-old full-back accepted by West Ham.
According to the report, the deal comprises £4.5m up front with a further £1.5m depending on appearances.
And in addition to the fee, the story reports that Johnson will be loaned back to the Hammers for the whole of next season.
However there are no quotes from any of the parties involved, although the extent of the detail printed by the newspaper will concern many Hammers fans, desperate to see the likes of Johnson and young team-mates Cole and Defoe stay at Upton Park.
Earlier this week Johnson was quoted as being happy to remain at Upton Park, whilst he and his team mates prepare for the forthcoming season of Nationwide football.
"I feel refreshed and I am looking forward to getting back into it," he said. "It's been a strange summer, and I think everyone just wants to get on with trying our hardest to get back up to the Premiership.
"We know what we have to do. I didn't get to play much, but I will be hoping to push on this season and get a few more games under my belt at that level."
Advocaat on... West Ham United [22nd Mar 2015]
West Ham Utd 1-0 Sunderland [21st Mar 2015]
In brief - Saturday's news round-up [21st Mar 2015]
Advocaat confirms Johnson can play [20th Mar 2015]
We need to replace Carroll, says Sullivan [14th Feb 2015]
The opposition view... Southampton [12th Feb 2015]
French firm win OS management rights [3rd Feb 2015]
West Ham frustrated as eight deadline day deals fall through [3rd Feb 2015]
Deadline day, latest rumours [2nd Feb 2015]
comments powered by Disqus