Filed: Tuesday, 16th June 2009
By: Staff Writer
West Ham will face Werder Bremen in Bad Waltersdorf next month as part of their Austrian stay.
The Hammers are off to the Bad Radkersburg training camp in Austria for the second time in three years where they will play at least two games against foreign opposition.
The first of those fixtures has now been confirmed for Saturday, 18th July in Bad Waltersdorf - just North of United's Bad Radkersburg base - with German side Werder Bremen providing the oppostion.
West Ham could yet face another German side as Hertha Berlin are also in Austria at the same time. Another possibility is Czech outfit FK Jablonec.
Have a Werder: 5 things you probably didn't know about Sportverein Werder Bremen von 1899 e. V.
1. Bremen echoed West Ham's mid-table form in last season's Bundesliga, finishing a comfortable 10th.
2. The club was founded 100 years ago by a group of students who had won sporting kit in a competition. They play home games at the Weserstadion, which has a capacity of 42,358.
3. Werder have numerous nicknames, including Die Grün-Weißen (the green and whites) and HB (abbreviation of the German 'City of Bremen').
4. Bremen were the first German club to erect a fence around their ground and charge entrance fees . They were also the first German club to appoint a professional manager (in 1922).
5. The club have been known as ASC 1898 Bremen (1899-1900), FV Bremen (1900-20), Sportabteilung Werder des ABTV (1914), Sportverein Werder Bremen (1920-2009), Turn- und Sportverein Werder 1945 Bremen (1945-46) and Sport-Club Grün-Weiß 99 Bremen (1946).
Allardyce: Razvan Rat talks under way [21st May 2013]
Raz ready to ratify West Ham move [30th Apr 2013]
West Ham down in Deloitte 'rich list' [10th Feb 2011]
Bremen game cancelled [17th Jul 2009]
Tour date confirmed [23rd Jun 2009]
Werder up [16th Jun 2009]
Hammers off to Austria [27th May 2009]
The front runners [19th Jul 2005]
comments powered by Disqus