Text  Larger | Smaller | Default

NewsNow

Dead horse given kiss of life


Filed: Wednesday, 29th June 2011
By: Staff Writer


Tottenham have vowed to continue their fight against the decision to award the Olympic Stadium to West Ham.

Last week the north Londoners saw their application for a judicial review of the decision by the Olympic Park Legacy Committee thrown out of court.

However Tottenham refused to accept defeat, stating on Friday that 'the club now has the option of renewing its application at an oral hearing at the High Court and we shall give consideration to this in the next few days'.

Now having given it their due consideration, Spurs confirmed today that they will indeed be taking their case to the High Court. In a statement posted on tottenhamhotspur.com tonight they said:

"The club [Tottenham] has applied to the High Court to renew its application for permission to bring a claim against the London Borough of Newham and the Olympic Park Legacy Company, the Mayor of London and Government Ministers for judicial review of their decisions underlying the bid process for the conversion of the Olympic Stadium after the 2012 Games.

"Under this process the club now has the opportunity to present its case at an oral hearing at the High Court."

West Ham were confirmed as the OPLC's 'preferred bidder' back in February. That decision was officially ratified by the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, and the Government at the beginning of March.

That same week, Orient Chairman Barry Hearn launched the first campaign against the decision.

However his efforts hit the buffers when the Premier League exposed the hypocrisy of his case (Hearn claimed that a top flight team at the OS would have been detrimental to his club's attendance figures; the League revealed Hearn had previously given his consent to Spurs moving there).

At the end of March, Tottenham - by now openly in cahoots with Hearn - confirmed that they would be seeking a judicial review of the OPLC decision.

However last week's ruling that upheld the OPLC's choice of preferred bidder still doesn't appear to have dampened Daniel Levy's resolve; the case looks set to rumble on.





Related News

   arrow   Halilovic, Sissoko, Dobson & Lanzini: Tuesday's news [28th Jul 2015]
   arrow   It's all about the image [21st Jul 2015]
   arrow   Old Lady thank Angelo [10th Jul 2015]
   arrow   Townsend, Ogbonna, Lanzini & Bilic: Tuesday's news [7th Jul 2015]
   arrow    Song, Payet, Henry & Abdennour: Friday's news [26th Jun 2015]
   arrow   Payet, Gold, Sakho & Tomkins: Thursday's news [25th Jun 2015]
   arrow   Shadow minister urges Government to reveal West Ham deal [24th Jun 2015]
   arrow   David Gold fires back in latest OS row [24th Jun 2015]
   arrow    Song, Downing, Payet & Bilic: Wednesday's news [24th Jun 2015]
   arrow   Payet, Rodriguez, Kuzmanovic & UEFA: Monday's news [22nd Jun 2015]


Please visit the KUMB Forum to comment on this story.


 
News Image




On This Day ...

One Year Ago
Transfer latest
Stoke manager Mark Hughes has denied reports that he is really to sell Pete...more
Three Years Ago
Ravel on his way
Reports tonight suggest that Ravel Morrison is set to join Birmingham City on loan....more
Five Years Ago
Ernie on the up
West Ham legend Ernie Gregory is said to be recovering well after suffering a recent stroke....more