Filed: Monday, 16th April 2012
By: Staff Writer
Dylan Tombides will return to full training next week after receiving more good news in his battle to overcome testicular cancer.
The 18-year-old, who was diagnosed with the disease last year has spent the last year undergoing surgery and chemotherapy.
And whilst he is still some considerable way from receiving the all clear, having received a third positive blood test since his treatment ended the Australian striker has been told he can return to training.
"It's a time-line thing at the moment," Tombides told whufc.com. "I had a blood test the other day and that was my third since my operation. I need to get ten all-clears and that will officially tell me that I am clear of the disease.
"The doctors have told me that if I am likely to recur, it will be in the first year, and if I don't then I should be cured for life. I've got another eight or so blood tests and other CT scans to go then hopefully I'll get the all-clear."
Tombides - who was on the verge of making his first team debut before being diagnosed with the disease - admitted that he still asks himself "why me?", but said that he couldn't wait to get his career back on track.
"Seeing my mates and all the players and staff every day has been great," he said. "Whether or not I'm playing, it certainly beats sitting at home or lying in a hospital bed having cords linked up to me pumping poison through me."
SHINING STARS: Dylan joined Jonjo Heuerman on his recent walk in aid of the BMF.
You may read the full interview with Dylan on whufc.com.
Manchester City 2-0 West Ham Utd [19th Apr 2015]
In brief - Sunday's news round-up [1st Mar 2015]
In brief - Friday's news round-up [27th Feb 2015]
One year on: Tombides foundation launches [26th Feb 2015]
Another youngster to depart [23rd Jan 2015]
Martin Atkinson gets Boleyn blockbuster [22nd Oct 2014]
Sam on the move [4th Aug 2014]
2013/14 KUMB.com Awards: the winners [14th May 2014]
Mark Noble named KUMB.com Player of the Year [13th May 2014]
comments powered by Disqus