Text  Larger | Smaller | Default

NewsNow

Fonte set for Hammers switch


Filed: Thursday, 19th January 2017
By: Staff Writer


West Ham United are hoping to complete the capture of experienced Southampton captain Jose Fonte by the weekend.

The 33-year-old central defender is on the verge of joining the Hammers in a deal worth in the regoin 8million + add-ons, according to reports, with his current deal at St Mary's coming to an end.

A Portuguese international, Fonte - who is contracted to Soton until the end of next season (2017/18) - arrived in England ten years ago when he joined Crystal Palace on loan from Benfica, a deal that was made permanent in 2008.

Two years later he joined Southampton on a permanent basis, signing for the Saints in a cut-price 1,2million deal. Since then, Fonte has made more than 250 appearances for the South Coast club.




Fonte is understood to have handed in a transfer request when his current club failed to offer him an extended contract. The defender is said to have been seeking a deal worth in the region of 70,000 over two-and-a-half years.

Slaven Bilic, when asked about potential incomings during his press conference this morning (Thursday) replied: "I am not talking about names; all I can say is that we hope to settle something in the next 24 hours."

Speaking about the Fonte situation yesterday, Saints boss Claude Puel claimed that the club has received several enquiries. "I think he has some opportunities," he said. "We will see if Jose leaves Southampton; we will see over the next few days."





Related News

   arrow   Fonte resurfaces following China disaster [20th Jul 2018]
   arrow   In brief - Wednesday's news round-up [18th Jul 2018]
   arrow   It was over before it began! [17th Jul 2018]
   arrow   West Ham's World Cup over [2nd Jul 2018]
   arrow   World Cup Hammers: the full list [4th Jun 2018]
   arrow   No special treatment for Rice, insists Moyes [27th Apr 2018]
   arrow   Leave the kid alone [23rd Apr 2018]
   arrow   Mario named in Portuguese 25 [16th Mar 2018]
   arrow   Double disaster for Moyes [7th Mar 2018]
   arrow   No fanfare for Fonte [1st Mar 2018]



Your Comments


Please note that this section is for comments relating to the above news item only. Any off-topic or abusive posts will be removed. Posts including either links and/or foul language are automatically filtered and will not be published. To engage in further discussion on any of our news stories, visit the KUMB Forums.

Not a member of the KUMB Forums? You may register for free membership here.

comments powered by Disqus
 
News Image




On This Day ...

One Year Ago
Post match press conference: Slaven Bilic vs Southampton
Slaven Bilic was naturally full of frustration following West Ham's 3-2 def...more
Three Years Ago
Poyet close to loan move
Diego Poyet is close to sealing a season-long loan move to MK Dons, according to reports this mornin...more
Five Years Ago
Chamakh-down
Crystal Palace striker Marouane Chamakh has accused Sam Allardyce of reneging on a promise to give h...more