Text  Larger | Smaller | Default

NewsNow

Raid appeal rejected


Filed: Wednesday, 4th October 2017
By: Staff Writer


Newcastle United have lost a High Court challenge relating to documents seized from St James' Park earlier this year by HMRC agents.

Both Newcastle and West Ham's offices at the Olympic Stadium were raided by Customs back in April in relation to a nationwide investigation into fraud.

The North East club opted to challenge the investigators in Court, claiming that the raid was illegal. However their complaints were thrown out after judges agreed that warrants pertaining to the uninvited intrusion "were lawfully issued".

Documents relating to financial records plus computers and phones were seized by HMRC agents during the raids, which also saw several individuals arrested before later being released without charge.

The tax agency have been unable to examine the evidence since, as a result of a string of court orders being issued on behalf of Newcastle.

West Ham have not commented on the raids - said to relate to transfers from mainland Europe and unpaid taxes - since the Olympic Stadium was busted.

The deals involving Dimitri Payet's 10.5million switch from Marseille and Demba Ba's 2011 sale to Newcastle were said to be under particularly close scrutiny - although some 150 transfers were reported to be under the spotlight.





Related News

   arrow   10million Arsenal star on the radar [8th Jan 2018]
   arrow   In brief - Christmas Eve news round-up [24th Dec 2017]
   arrow   I miss Italy, says Ogbonna [22nd Dec 2017]
   arrow   Lanzini, Kouyate, Byram, & Mawson: Friday's news [22nd Dec 2017]
   arrow   Brady, Rice, Carroll, & Hart: Wednesday's news [20th Dec 2017]
   arrow   Stoke City 0-3 West Ham Utd [16th Dec 2017]
   arrow   Moyes plays down Ings interest [8th Dec 2017]
   arrow   Board slash loan interest rate [5th Dec 2017]
   arrow   In brief - Wednesday's news round-up [15th Nov 2017]
   arrow   Bilic: no problem with Christmas Eve match [13th Oct 2017]



Your Comments


Please note that this section is for comments relating to the above news item only. Any off-topic or abusive posts will be removed. Posts including either links and/or foul language are automatically filtered and will not be published. To engage in further discussion on any of our news stories, visit the KUMB Forums.

Not a member of the KUMB Forums? You may register for free membership here.

comments powered by Disqus
 
News Image




On This Day ...

One Year Ago
Fonte set for Hammers switch
West Ham United are hoping to complete the capture of experienced Southampt...more
Three Years Ago
A ten point pledge for the NEXT five years
West Ham United's co-chairmen have released a statement to mark the fifth anniversary of their purch...more
Five Years Ago
Allardyce on... QPR
Delighted with the number of goalscoring opportunities created, Sam Allardyce spoke rather less effu...more