Text  Larger | Smaller | Default


Reid's dream over as Kiwis beaten

Filed: Thursday, 16th November 2017
By: Staff Writer

Winston Reid's hopes of playing in next summer's World Cup Finals are over after the Kiwis were beaten 2-0 by Peru in Lima's Estadio Nacional last night.

The West Ham defender and his team went into the game with renewed hope of qualifying having held the South Americans to a goalless draw in the first leg in New Zealand last week.

However they were sunk in the return tie by goals from Lokomotiv's Jefferson Farfan and Emelec's on-loan centre half, Christian Ramos, whose 65th minute drive was enough to secure passage for the Incas - themselves qualifying for their first Finals since 1982.

Embed from Getty Images

Reid went closest to scoring for the Kiwis shortly after half time when his header fizzed narrowly over the crossbar. Meanwhile Burnley's in-form striker Chris Wood, who appeared at half time, missed a great chance to score right at the death right at the death.

A disappointed All Whites coach Anthony Hudson admitted that Peru had been the better side over the two ties, but criticised the hosts for the build-up to the game.

Embed from Getty Images

"They used every trick in the book to put us off," he said. "We got on the airplane and I asked the stewardess how long it was to Peru and she said 'We're not going to Peru, we're going to Chile!'

"Ever since then, it's been unbelievable. We didn't sleep at all last night with the fireworks. Today I thought I'd grab a quick hour's sleep by the pool and all of a sudden all these jet fighter planes are flying past.

"But never once in the two or three days here in Peru have we used that as an excuse. We just got on with it and said we wouldn't let it beat us and we did deal with it very well."

Related News

   arrow   Double disaster for Moyes [7th Mar 2018]
   arrow   Moyes welcomes return of key players [23rd Feb 2018]
   arrow   In brief - Thursday's news round-up [22nd Feb 2018]
   arrow   Evra arrives at Rush Green ahead of free transfer [7th Feb 2018]
   arrow   Only one ever present under Moyes [18th Jan 2018]
   arrow   Antonio concern could force transfer window move [12th Jan 2018]
   arrow   Moyes seeking to 'improve' returning Reece [29th Dec 2017]
   arrow   Defeat at Bournemouth is unthinkable, says Reid [24th Dec 2017]
   arrow   Moyes, Sakho, Reid, & Ayew: Thursday's news [21st Dec 2017]
   arrow   Brady, Rice, Carroll, & Hart: Wednesday's news [20th Dec 2017]

Your Comments

Please note that this section is for comments relating to the above news item only. Any off-topic or abusive posts will be removed. Posts including either links and/or foul language are automatically filtered and will not be published. To engage in further discussion on any of our news stories, visit the KUMB Forums.

Not a member of the KUMB Forums? You may register for free membership here.

comments powered by Disqus
News Image

On This Day ...

One Year Ago
Antonio withdrawn from England squad
Michail Antonio has withdrawn from the England squad after sustaining a ham...more
Three Years Ago
Advocaat confirms Johnson can play
Sunderland boss Dick Advocaat insisted today that every player in his squad has the opportunity to f...more
Five Years Ago
Hearn ready to throw in the towel
Orient chairman Barry Hearn has admitted that he expects to be defeated in his latest battle to over...more