Text  Larger | Smaller | Default

NewsNow

Fonte resurfaces following China disaster


Filed: Friday, 20th July 2018
By: Staff Writer


Jose Fonte has signed a two-year contract with French club Lille.

The Portuguese defender, who left West Ham last March to join Chinese Super League club Dalian Yifang announced earlier this week that his three-year contract has been ripped up by mutual agreement.

Embed from Getty Images


And on Friday it was confirmed that Fonte would indeed be returning to Europe, as planned, although not to the Premier League as was his original intention.

The 34-year-old has signed a two-year contract with Les Dogues, who avoided relegation from the French top flight by just one point last season, ending their (38 game) campaign on 38 points just one place above the relegation zone.

Fonte spent 13 months at West Ham, a period during which he made just 24 appearances as a result of a string of injury problems.

Signed from Southampton for 8million in Janury 2017, Fonte moved to West Ham on a two-and-a-half year contract but failed to complete even half of that before agreeing to move to China.

Embed from Getty Images


Speaking at the time of his arrival, the Euro 2016 winner revealed that Slaven Bilic was a major force in persuading him to join West Ham.

"I thought that he really wanted me, he sold me the project and the club's ambition," said Fonte. "I told the manager that we want to win and we want to win trophies. The ambition is big and we need to aim high."

However little more than a year later, he was on his way to Yifang in a 5million switch, meaning that West Ham had clawed back little more than half of the transfer fee paid to the Saints.






Related News

   arrow   Fonte resurfaces following China disaster [20th Jul 2018]
   arrow   In brief - Wednesday's news round-up [18th Jul 2018]
   arrow   It was over before it began! [17th Jul 2018]
   arrow   West Ham's World Cup over [2nd Jul 2018]
   arrow   World Cup Hammers: the full list [4th Jun 2018]
   arrow   No special treatment for Rice, insists Moyes [27th Apr 2018]
   arrow   Leave the kid alone [23rd Apr 2018]
   arrow   Mario named in Portuguese 25 [16th Mar 2018]
   arrow   Double disaster for Moyes [7th Mar 2018]
   arrow   No fanfare for Fonte [1st Mar 2018]



Your Comments


Please note that this section is for comments relating to the above news item only. Any off-topic or abusive posts will be removed. Posts including either links and/or foul language are automatically filtered and will not be published. To engage in further discussion on any of our news stories, visit the KUMB Forums.

Not a member of the KUMB Forums? You may register for free membership here.

comments powered by Disqus
 
News Image




On This Day ...

One Year Ago
Lanzini facing FA 'diving' charge
Manuel Lanzini has been charged with the "successful deception of a match o...more
Three Years Ago
Carroll out of Swansea trip
Andy Carroll is unlikely to feature against Swansa on Sunday due to a groin injury, manager Slaven B...more
Five Years Ago
Tottenham vs West Ham Utd: live
Sam Allardyce has made a number of changes to his team as West Ham prepare to face manager-less Tott...more