Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by S-H »

Chris Sutton
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

hammerdivone wrote:and I'm just off to the Gin festival in Guildford
What bands are on?
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

The gender pay gap debate..

Correct me if I'm wrong but to calculate these figures they have taken the average pay of men and women without taking any other factors into consideration, how on earth can you take anything from such figures, give me figures on like for like jobs
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

We_are_BML wrote:The gender pay gap debate..

Correct me if I'm wrong but to calculate these figures they have taken the average pay of men and women without taking any other factors into consideration, how on earth can you take anything from such figures, give me figures on like for like jobs
The gender gap is a couple of inches and can take 12 months at least off work watching This Morning getting free prescriptions and dental care, whilst the other gender has to go to work to pay for that and feel underpaid and undervalued. f*** you Emily Pankhurst.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

We_are_BML wrote:The gender pay gap debate..

Correct me if I'm wrong (decent chance of that) but hasn't it been proven to be a bit of a myth?

Like when you have a male and a female doing the exact same job with exact same conditions, the gap in pay is non existent. Also, that left to their own devices, a "typical" female with tend to go for jobs and careers that they have "typically" done so - which tend to be lower salary scales. Jordan Peterson seems keen on this (I don't agree with everything he says) but the point that stuck, was how men and women differ in terms of IQ. If you take the average, we are roughly the same. However the women's IQs tend to cluster around the mean, mens have a larger spread (therefore men fill the prisons to a larger extent, but also fill the top positions)
Dave Hedgehog
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

JerseyHammer wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong (decent chance of that) but hasn't it been proven to be a bit of a myth?

Like when you have a male and a female doing the exact same job with exact same conditions, the gap in pay is non existent. Also, that left to their own devices, a "typical" female with tend to go for jobs and careers that they have "typically" done so - which tend to be lower salary scales. Jordan Peterson seems keen on this (I don't agree with everything he says) but the point that stuck, was how men and women differ in terms of IQ. If you take the average, we are roughly the same. However the women's IQs tend to cluster around the mean, mens have a larger spread (therefore men fill the prisons to a larger extent, but also fill the top positions)
This reminds me of the time my dad said to me: "Your little brother's going to go far in life, because whenever he goes for a job interview, he's too thick to realise he can't do the job."

He wasn't even joking.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Players that don't celebrate scoring against their old clubs.

Mugs off their new clubs if you ask me.
1875Hammer

Post by 1875Hammer »

Samba wrote:Back in the day, you'd sometimes see dogs on their own, roaming the streets.
You NEVER get that these days. Dogs are always with someone or on a lead. There is no excuse now for letting a dog **** anywhere it likes. Even if you don't have gloves or a bag with you (as most dog walkers now do), take the dog to the kerb, to let it do it in the road.
Was a packet recently left on the pavement outside our house. We can avoid it so that it doesn't affect us but someone else, as usual, trod in it which then spreads it everywhere, left & right, making it now, probably impossible to not walk in some of it.
No wonder muslims take their shoes off at their front door.
I'd shoot the lot of 'em.

Errant dog owners, not muslims..
The thing is dogs on their own would rather **** in a field, in the woods or in someone's back garden. They wouldn't choose to take a dump on the footpath beside someone's driveway. That's their b*stard owners choice.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Picking today as the first day to try running to & from my new office. Good choice there, Dan!
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

DasNutNock wrote:Picking today as the first day to try running to & from my new office. Good choice there, Dan!
I booked today and tomorrow off to use up some annual leave. Felt like a waste but the house is already tidied and I get to go with my wife to take our daughter to her first couple of hours of nursery without us there.

For once I have a brilliant team leader who I trust to cover me whilst I'm out of the office. Normally even one day off means going back to half a day of cleaning up his predecessors incompetence. I can actually fully relax on my day's off now!
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

DasNutNock wrote:Picking today as the first day to try running to & from my new office. Good choice there, Dan!
Did the return leg with a stitch after 300m. Strava also conked out so I don’t know how long it took. Great success!
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

My PC randomly cutting out and dying. I had a busy weekend and have just fixed it, but it's a bit fubarded so I've had to restore and image. Took a while as I had to dismantle it and put it back together. All good now but a complete waste of time.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

Apple, the computer company rather than the fruit that is.

My three-year-old Macbook had a memory chip failure which now necessitates replacing the entire motherboard at a cost of $800. A price that can only be described as a ****ing bargain compared to the $2,800 it costs to buy a new one. The new ones, of course, are absolute **** because some **** at Apple thought it would be a good idea to delete the SD card slot and all of the ports that I actually use.

I sincerely hope that there is a Hell and that Steve Jobs is burning in it. May Apple, every b*stard who works for them and all of their c***ish shareholders suffer from a plague of locusts, scrofula and piles the size of a ****ing watermelon before being impaled slowly on a rusty iron spike!

c****!

PS .... any of you computer genius ever tried loading Mac OS on a PC? I'm sure it must be possible but, I'm too much of a computer biff to figure it out.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

For macOS on a PC google "hackintosh"
westham,eggyandchips

Having a £600 Samsung washing machine pack up 4 months after its guarantee expired.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

What does a £600 washing machine do that a £200 machine doesn't?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

jastons wrote:What does a £600 washing machine do that a £200 machine doesn't?
Ask his mum.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Clucking Bell wrote:The new ones, of course, are absolute **** because some **** at Apple thought it would be a good idea to delete the SD card slot and all of the ports that I actually use.
Currently using one at work. It's only got USBC ports which is a real ballache. All the old MAC power supplies I have are useless and nobody (yet) has created an adaptor. This must have a hugh impact on the environment. The absolute c***ish thing about this new laptop is that it didn't come with an adaptor for these peripherals so you're effectively spending north of 2 large for a laptop and power supply - nothing else. Absolute insanity but luckily I'm not paying.

*Oh and said adaptor is upwards of 70 notes so another piss-take from Apple.
westham,eggyandchips

Haven't a clue.

What I do know is, I couldn't find one for under £200 in Currys last night, especially one that does what Mrs Eggs wants it to do.
ThreeSixes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by ThreeSixes »

Packs up 4 months after the warranty expires?