Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Patito

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Patito »

Mr. Contrary :asleep:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:25 pm Absolutely GCRO. Sounds like a p***ed up Irishman with a mouthful of chips.
I take offence to that remark.

When we are pissed we never have a mouthful of chips, we always leave room for more beer. :wink:
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

People that press the button on the bus for the next stop when just passing the last one.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

As a Virgin Mobile payg user, todays text message from them telling me that my 'mobile plan' is changing.
From 18/11, sending one text a day will cost me £2. One text.
Making a one minute phone call per day, will cost me the same, £2.
They simply don't want to have any payg customers anymore. That's one way to get rid of people.
They can get taefuck.
Time for a new mobile provider or better still, back to 2 tin cans & a VERY long piece of string.

Yes, I can send 199 texts per day & it's still £2 & make 200 minutes of calls a day for £2 but if I WAS doing that, I'd probably be better off with someone else anyway.
I am someone who rarely texts or phones, so in theory, a £10 top-up could potentially only give me 5 texts or 5 minutes of calls..
#Unfuckingbelievable
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

More than an irritation for sure, but finding out at my wife's 20 week pregnancy scan yesterday that the baby was no longer viable, and now having to decide what to do about it.

none of the options are particularly appealing
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:40 am More than an irritation for sure, but finding out at my wife's 20 week pregnancy scan yesterday that the baby was no longer viable, and now having to decide what to do about it.

Sorry to hear that, Crouchy.
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:40 am More than an irritation for sure, but finding out at my wife's 20 week pregnancy scan yesterday that the baby was no longer viable, and now having to decide what to do about it.

That’s terrible mate, hope you and the missus are coping ok.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Really sorry to hear that mate. That'll be particularly difficult and emotional for your wife.

I hope everything goes okay.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Definitely not a little thing. Really sorry to read that and hope it's not the end of family plans
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Definitely not a little thing. Best wishes to you and your wife, hope everything goes ok whatever the decision and the future brings happiness.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Samba wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:39 pm Was thinking cramp shouldn't really be continuous & long lasting.
Do you remember how/when you did it, HH?
When I couldn't stretch it off I thought I had just pulled the muscle, as you say shouldn't last a few days. The really annoying thing is that I can't remember when I did it. In work yesterday, military establishment, you can imagine the piss-taking but quite a few people have done similar so understand - the trouble is most of their stories involve "I jumped over xyz carrying a 100lb pack and still ran 20 miles afterwards" type bull****, not my version of "it might have been carrying paving slabs" :oops:
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

We've been there buddy. It's not nice.

We went with the injection. And getting drunk
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Really sorry to hear that mate. 20 weeks doesn't sound like much but it's nearly halfway though a pregnancy. My missus' daughter is pregnant with her second child at the moment and I don't even want to imagine what it'd be like if anything went wrong.
Etonhammer
Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Etonhammer »

Strange one this.
Last week, whilst having a drink at the hotel bar (at LCY) I was approached by a young girl (about 20) with a young baby (not even a year old) who asked if I could help her get her phone to work. Unfortunately for her she had picked the person least likely to be able to help but I did ask around on her behalf.

Whilst talking to her it transpired that she was being put up in the hotel for a week or two whilst the council sorted out her accomodation, as she had been made homeless.

The next night she was back in the bar, a bit more distressed, asking for help as she now had a new SIM and her phone was still US. Whatever the problem was, no one in the hotel could help and apparently no one on the ‘help desk’ could either. Normally I wouldn’t get too involved in a situation like that but I am mellowing in my old age, I considered the fact that she was young, alone and with a small child and probably needed her phone more than most.

I was working the next day but told her I was going to Westfield the day after and if she still needed help she could come with me and go to the Apple store whilst I was shopping and then I’d bring her back to the hotel. She was happy with that and told me how her boyfriend was coming to see her the next day and would be giving her money and she would be able to get everything sorted.

I didn’t see her the next day but on the morning we had arranged to go, out she comes with baby and a huge black eye.

Whilst the situation was fairly clear she was about to explain what had happened but I had to stop her, I’ve listen to a few stories over the years about wildly random events whereby a women ended up with a black eye ….never believed one of them.
She seemed ok and off we went to Westfield. Whilst I hadn’t really given any thought to the situation, it all became clear as soon as we were in the shopping centre. The looks and comments I could hear were interesting and, as she was mixed race, the worse seemed to come from black people.

There were a couple of incidents that could have gone bad and in her defence, if she hadn’t explained the situation, I’m not sure it would have ended well.

And here, eventually is the point. The comments were not so much about her huge black eye but the fact that she was with a much older white guy.?

Is that the measure of peoples opinions now. You can take a punch from your partner as long as they are roughly the same age and ethnicity??
Was it accepted as a given that, as she was with an older white guy she should expect to get punched or it was somehow part of the deal???
Very strange experience! Even allowing for the fact that people are quick to judge.

Unfortunately no sign of said boyfriend since, as I was looking forward to that conversation. Headbanger
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Etonhammer wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:00 pm Strange one this.
Yes, and as I was reading that I was expecting you to get scammed out of something in some way.

I'm naturally suspicious of people in situations like that. Are you sure the black eye was real and not make up?
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

sendô wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:01 pm Yes, and as I was reading that I was expecting you to get scammed out of something in some way.
As was I.
Etonhammer
Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Etonhammer »

Hugely real unfortunately.

The Hotel called the Police
Samba

Post by Samba »

Sorry to hear that news.
That's a terrible blow for you both, Crouchy.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Etonhammer wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:00 pm And here, eventually is the point. The comments were not so much about her huge black eye but the fact that she was with a much older white guy.?
Is that the measure of peoples opinions now. You can take a punch from your partner as long as they are roughly the same age and ethnicity??
Was it accepted as a given that, as she was with an older white guy she should expect to get punched or it was somehow part of the deal???
Very strange experience! Even allowing for the fact that people are quick to judge.
It's an interesting observation & an unsettling experience for you, Eton.
With absolutely not knowing any of the facts, it's amazing what story people will concoct, in their own heads.
I'm sure we all do it & there's probably good reason why we do it, although it shows you how wrong we can be.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1677 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Going to work at 9PM only to find that all the mummies on the school run with their 4 x 4's are illegally parking on both side of the street, so their little darlings can be accompanied all the 5 meters from the car to the very edge of the school gates, where they stand and wave them off, to ensure that no nasty bogyman or woman is going to assault them in the playground. This despite their being teachers and other staff patrolling the school gates and surrounding areas and whilst the lorries are trying to get down this road have to slow down to a crawl to fit between their unattended 4x4's, halting the traffic, meaning for me, being 10 mins early for work, turns into me being 10 mins late.

There is only 1 way into where I work, I have to drive by this school, I have no option, so now I have to get in work 20 mins early to avoid all this parking crap. Where's that app when you need it :)