Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Moxy

Post by Moxy »

Hammer1972 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:44 pm They're smart people, they'd see straight through that.
Bravo Sir!
Tbf GCRO they’d probably look at it and just think crumbs!
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Some absolute cad has beaten me to it ... damn you !!

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Hammer1972 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:44 pm They're smart people, they'd see straight through that.
Hammer1972 is genius.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

On Sunday 15:45, I cycled to my local high street Sainsburys.
I have a cable lock (that locks into itself) that I run through the seat (securing it), goes round the frame & I lock around the cycle metal pavement thingy.
I also have another cable which protects the front wheel & is secured by a big 'D' lock (which also directly secures the frame of the bike against said cycle pavement metal thingy.
More than once, I haven't been arsed to put both locks on, just the first cable lock that I mentioned.
On Sunday, I did this. As I did, I looked around, thought 'it's a bloody cold day, no one's going to be hanging around, up to no good, I won't be long in the shop, so just the one cable lock should be fine'.
When I came out the shop & got to my bike, an asian man approached me & said that someone was just about to cut the cable until he asked the guy, 'what was he doing to HIS bike'? At this, the scumbag ran off. The asian guy had a shop nearby, stands outside & regularly sees that type of thing.
If he hadn't kindly intervened, the bike would have been long gone. I gratefully thanked him.
WTF HAD I BEEN THINKING?
Talk about me getting away with something. Yes, the bike was only £350 but to replace it & the lock would have been hassle & probably more like £450 now. Just because of my own laziness. Never again. Both cables & the D lock from now on, EVERY TIME. It literally takes ONE SECOND to snip a cable.
I was lucky & learnt a valuable lesson, for free.
Now you all have, as well.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Get one of these babies. If you can carry it around with you, nobody is nicking your bike unless they've got oxy-acetalyne cutter or an angle grinder:

https://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk ... duct_id=55

Probably the best chains on the market today. I use the heavier red one one in my garage and it's seriously tough (weighs a ton though).
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:46 pm Get one of these babies. If you can carry it around with you, nobody is nicking your bike unless they've got oxy-acetalyne cutter or an angle grinder:

Probably the best chains on the market today. I use the heavier red one one in my garage and it's seriously tough (weighs a ton though).
I think he'll need a stronger bag to carry that big heavy bar steward in!
Samba

Post by Samba »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:46 pm Get one of these babies. If you can carry it around with you, nobody is nicking your bike unless they've got oxy-acetalyne cutter or an angle grinder:
Cheers GCRO. That is ONE mofo.
Do you know what, I think I've met that guy & bought one of his earlier chains for me m'bike. I was at the Ally Pally bike show one year & this Northern sounding bloke was selling chains (& locks) that he had made himself. It was just called, 'The Immobiliser' & yes, it weighs a f*cking ton. It cost over a ton, as well! Combined with a good ground anchor, it's pretty awesome.
Totally over the top for carrying around on a bicycle though! I could barely carry it back to me car!
For the cycle, I might just get another (quality) D lock, as cables are pretty pathetic, although I know that some D locks can also be opened up.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:50 pm I think he'll need a stronger bag to carry that big heavy bar steward in!
Seriously, I'd need to be one of the contestants on the 'World's Strongest Man', to carry one of those around!
Samba

Post by Samba »

The Chris Packham programme earlier, about 7.7bn people being alive on the planet & predicted to rise to 10bn by 2050.
One of the reasons he said was that we're all living too long (he's obviously never spoken with Monkeybubbles) & that hospitals & advances in medical care are doing us all no favours, by keeping old people alive longer. Perhaps we should all buy our oldies a one way ticket to Switzerland, for their next birthday? Well, they're not earning anymore or paying tax so they are a drain on society.
Move to an area within the East London NHS Foundation Trust, Chris. They did a top job in finishing off my dad & have been doing their worst with my mum, as well.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

You know it makes sense.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Samba wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:44 pm The Chris Packham programme earlier, about 7.7bn people being alive on the planet & predicted to rise to 10bn by 2050.
One of the reasons he said was that we're all living too long (he's obviously never spoken with Monkeybubbles) & that hospitals & advances in medical care are doing us all no favours, by keeping old people alive longer. Perhaps we should all buy our oldies a one way ticket to Switzerland, for their next birthday? Well, they're not earning anymore or paying tax so they are a drain on society.
Move to an area within the East London NHS Foundation Trust, Chris. They did a top job in finishing off my dad & have been doing their worst with my mum, as well.
There is an element of sense in what he is saying, having seen a number of elderly people kept alive by the medical profession long after their quality of life is gone - I'm convinced that if they were animals we would have "put them down" long before. It is not about being a drain on society more is it actually not cruel to keep them going? My father-in-law had dementia, him and others in his care home towards the end had multiple medical problems, no idea which planet they were on or who anyone was and were doubly incontinent. In a way it was a blessing that he couldn't remember how he used to be, but it was heartbreaking to see such an intelligent interesting person reduced to absolute confusion by the simplest thing.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Hampshire Hammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:58 am My father-in-law had dementia, him and others in his care home towards the end had multiple medical problems, no idea which planet they were on or who anyone was and were doubly incontinent. In a way it was a blessing that he couldn't remember how he used to be, but it was heartbreaking to see such an intelligent interesting person reduced to absolute confusion by the simplest thing.
Tell me about it. :(
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Tea rounds.

"Cup of selfish".

Guffaw.

What is wrong with a person making his own tea when he wants one and not having to get in a round for 5 other people, none of whom ever offer to make one themselves?
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 264 likes
Total likes: 231 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

And they always want it piss weak with way too much sugar. I make tea one way - how I like it... no sugar, and the colour of He Man’s skin...
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

That people still reference 'The next level'
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Hampshire Hammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:58 amMy father-in-law had dementia, him and others in his care home towards the end had multiple medical problems, no idea which planet they were on or who anyone was and were doubly incontinent. In a way it was a blessing that he couldn't remember how he used to be, but it was heartbreaking to see such an intelligent interesting person reduced to absolute confusion by the simplest thing.
Ditto for my mum. If she could have seen herself and how she'd end up, she'd be the first one over to Switzerland. She was a very proud woman and that was always something she said didn't want to happen to her. Trouble is, it creeps up on people until they think not knowing where or even who you are is normal.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:00 pm Ditto for my mum. If she could have seen herself and how she'd end up, she'd be the first one over to Switzerland. She was a very proud woman and that was always something she said didn't want to happen to her. Trouble is, it creeps up on people until they think not knowing where or even who you are is normal.
Yep, dad now has to wear nappies, poor ****er. Was once a very proud East Ender, an old school mans mans (which in fairness has its downsides), if I could put a pillow over him and suffocate him and get away with it I would. I have had to recently complete his end of life care forms "No resuscitation" was underlined 3 times.

Had a friend recently diagnosed with Motor Neurone (he is early 50's) 2-5 years left tops, with the last 2 -3 years possibly a complete wreck in a wheelchair, he is looking as his last holiday destination to Switzerland. Cannot blame anyone taking that way out.

Cheery subject this :lol:

Lets talk about football, oh....
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:38 pm Had a friend recently diagnosed with Motor Neurone (he is early 50's) 2-5 years left tops, with the last 2 -3 years possibly a complete wreck in a wheelchair, he is looking as his last holiday destination to Switzerland. Cannot blame anyone taking that way out.
People like that should really be allowed to choose their own way out.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Hampshire Hammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:58 am There is an element of sense in what he is saying, having seen a number of elderly people kept alive by the medical profession long after their quality of life is gone - I'm convinced that if they were animals we would have "put them down" long before. It is not about being a drain on society more is it actually not cruel to keep them going?
In any instances when it's clear that the person really has no quality of life (to the best of our knowledge), I totally agree, HH.