Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

S-H

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by S-H » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:33 am

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:29 am
An odd number of slices in a loaf.
Do you count them before you buy them, eggs?

:lol:

jastons

Post by jastons » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:24 am

S-H wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:33 am
Do you count them before you buy them, eggs?

I was thinking that! Unless you live alone or the only one to eat that loaf and you only ever take the same number at a time, how the hell do you keep track? :lol:

sendô

Post by sendô » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:18 am

Appraisals.

The single most pointless tick box exercise.

DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:18 am

We have a pool table at work. That's right, a pool table. Beautiful American pool table, with several sets of balls, nice cues etc. Table got re-clothed last year. It's free to use. Doesn't get a great deal of use, but I play a few frames of 9-ball each morning and a few in the afternoon, and it's pretty bloody sweet.

Went up just now to play my standard 3 frames to discover one of the cues snapped in half, towards the butt end. That's a thick bit of kit, and there's no accidental snapping of something like that. Someone's clearly done it over his knee, presumably in frustration over being sh*t at pool or to try to look like a big man in front of his colleagues or something. Then just leaves it up there and scarpers.

There's a lot of 20-somethings here that haven't yet worked out that they aren't climbing the ladder to success, that they aren't important or impressive, that they'll never make it big, and that they don't matter, and it will have been one of them.

Fuming.

S-H

Post by S-H » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:24 am

Come on, you don't expect us to believe that do you..

You lost a game of pool to one of these 20-somethings, who hustled you, and in return you wrapped the cue around the back of his swede?

:)

DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:46 am

I am, without question, the best pool player in this building. I played snooker weekly for 4 years, American pool is a walk in the park by comparison. I also appear to be the only one who knows the rules to 9-ball.

"Ball excellence is *not* about excellent pool".

S-H

Post by S-H » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:50 am

OK, so he didn't beat you, did he disrespect the cloth?

AlfieG

Post by AlfieG » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:04 pm

Are you sure you didnt do it pet?? sounds like your a bit ageist...

BARKING IRON

Post by BARKING IRON » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:18 pm

Pepper pig why don’t she just blow her ****ing nose

Mega Ron

Post by Mega Ron » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:59 pm

sendô wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:18 am
Appraisals.

Absolutely. I had a deal with my old boss that neither of us cared about it so copied and pasted stuff from the previous year.

Mentioned it to the new boss. Stupid f*** has might a massive deal out of it

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:20 pm

My Associate Director is leaving the firm . Fine.

Get called over to Group HQ to discuss something confidential. Turns out we have had someone whistleblow on a minor issue which is incredibly common place in the market but could, if you were so inclined , turn into a massive ****ing event.

Whilst the whistleblow was anonymous, I know it was him as he just can't bear to see anyone living their lives and whilst he doesn't know it yet, the HR Director could be in trouble as I am obliged to investigate it properly

What I don't get is that this gets him absolutely nowhere and he had no need to do it on his notice ( or any other time) other than to be an absolute **** and jeopardise things for a man who is towards the business end of his career.

He even put on the form apparently , due to others knowledge of this situation, it is highly likely people, when told, will know my identity. Too ****ing right I know.

I wouldn't mind but the ****er asked me of all people today whether I'd reported the potential data breach we'd noted the other day within the required time frame, so wouldn't be surprised if he has another go with that.

Cheeky **** even asked me if I needed any help investigating the confidential issue I said I was going over to talk about.

A snidey little grass, nothing more

prophet:marginal
Location: Marking Us With The Sight Of What We Might Have Known

Post by prophet:marginal » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:43 pm

BARKING IRON wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:18 pm
It's Peppa! Oh my days!

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:38 pm

jastons wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:24 am
I was thinking that! Unless you live alone or the only one to eat that loaf and you only ever take an even number at a time, how the hell do you keep track? :lol:
We keep the bread frozen and every morning Mrs Eggs asks me to get 2 slices out sort she can make sandwiches with them. Quite often there seems to be just one slice left.

sendô

Post by sendô » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:49 am

BARKING IRON wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:18 pm
It's Peppa Pig.

Anyway, there's far worse children's programmes out there. Wait until they discover one called Morphle.

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:27 am

Sitting on the sofa in my dressing gown this morning, legs spread like a slut, no underwear on, and my cat comes bowling up to me, as he does, with me expecting he is going to want a fuss as per usual, and without warning - THWACK! Little b*stard has batted my man bit, with claws out :shock:

Dover KUMB fan

Post by Dover KUMB fan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:50 am

sendô wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:18 am
Appraisals.

Yep. We have an online appraisal system that we have to complete before the 31st Jan. No-one gives a flying F, everyone just ticks the defaults. Everyone knows nothing will come of it, so why give it any attention?

DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:54 am

Appraisals are a box-ticking exercise to ensure that the company can’t be accused of contravening correct processes when they decide to fire you.

Hampshire Hammer

Post by Hampshire Hammer » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:59 am

pablo jaye wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:32 am
I thought Shepherd’s pie because it contains lamb mince, whilst beef mince is used in a cottage pie.
I always thought that until last week when I had Radio 4 on whilst driving and listened to a cooking programme. According to an expert on the show, the term "cottage pie" appeared in the 18th century and could have any red meat in it (though most likely not much), the term "shepherd's pie" appeared in the 19th century and the two were inter-changeable. The use of cottage to mean beef and shepherd to mean lamb is apparently something that has happened in the last 20 years or so.

Hampshire Hammer

Post by Hampshire Hammer » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:59 am

DasNutNock2 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:54 am
Appraisals are a box-ticking exercise to ensure that the company can’t be accused of contravening correct processes when they decide to fire you.
And a way to not pay payrises/bonuses.

sendô

Post by sendô » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:15 am

Yep, we have to add several performance targets and development targets that are increasingly difficult to attain, and it's all used as a reason to hold back promotions/pay rises as necessary.

It's a complete waste of everybody's time, but if you don't do it then it's a flat no pay rise no bonus so lip service needs to be paid.