Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Moxy

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Moxy »

Also bar staff that just serve whoever is in front of them, keep some sort of eye on whose been waiting and serve them first.
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

The bar staff at the biggest music venue in Glasgow are soooo slow. Most of them are students who have never poured a pint in their lives. It makes it impossible to get served quickly and without missing some of the set.
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

That thumb movement when people are staring at their phones on Instagram or Facebook.

People who can’t walk in a straight line or push a trolley properly.

Picking up on DL’s comments about manners, I was at the bus stop and three women who turned up after me. I let them on the (very) busy bus first and they all looked at me like I was weird and not one said thank you.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Joyeux Marteau wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:47 pm .....................

Picking up on DL’s comments about manners, I was at the bus stop and three women who turned up after me. I let them on the (very) busy bus first and they all looked at me like I was weird and not one said thank you.
They were probably thinking, "Like we need your f***ing permission..."
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2502 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Hampshire Hammer wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:20 pm Doesn't impact me at all but for some reason it annoys me.

The town I used to live in has a sports centre that was built back in the sixties. Once a month or so the local naturists hired the swimming pool for a couple of hours nude swimming and a couple of times a year hired the whole centre. I only found this out when I was dating one of the women who worked there - we used to laugh about the nudists using the trampolines.

A couple of years ago the council decided to build a new centre as the old one was getting too expensive to maintain, they opened in January. My mum still gets the local paper and told me about an article, apparently the naturists can no longer book the swimming pool because it has a large glass window and the centre is worried about people looking in and seeing naked people. So something that has been enjoyed for years and most locals probably knew nothing about has gone because of lack of foresight - or someone deliberately planned it because they didn't like it.
Nudists trampolining in front of a glass frontage.....

It will make someone a millionaire. :lol: C4 are probably commissioning it :lol:
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

Hampshire Hammer wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:20 pm Doesn't impact me at all but for some reason it annoys me.

The town I used to live in has a sports centre that was built back in the sixties. Once a month or so the local naturists hired the swimming pool for a couple of hours nude swimming and a couple of times a year hired the whole centre. I only found this out when I was dating one of the women who worked there - we used to laugh about the nudists using the trampolines. :lol:

A couple of years ago the council decided to build a new centre as the old one was getting too expensive to maintain, they opened in January. My mum still gets the local paper and told me about an article, apparently the naturists can no longer book the swimming pool because it has a large glass window and the centre is worried about people looking in and seeing naked people. So something that has been enjoyed for years and most locals probably knew nothing about has gone because of lack of foresight - or someone deliberately planned it because they didn't like it.
Was that in Tadley, i remember seeing something about it
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2018 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

No, it was Tidley.

Well, only if they set the water too cold.
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

badabing wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:04 pm Speaking of manners I had a bizarre incident at work yesterday.

There`s a bloke been there about 5 years , never said more than 2 words to me, which is fine, some people like to talk others keep to themselves.

I`ve gone into the mess room to make a cuppa and this fella is in there having his breakfast, as I`m leaving he says "morning", I have a mouthful of tea and nod towards him.
"What, can`t say morning "he replies. I said you what mate? " I said morning, bit rude not replying" he says
I had a mouthful of tea and acknowledged you I said
"Yeah well rude not to reply" he says
I said, Geezer, in 5 years this is the longest conversation we`ve had, what now you want me to be saying good morning whenever I see you? Alright mate I say, Good morning, enjoy your breakfast and the rest of the day and don`t ever front me up again over nothing.

To be fair he comes across as a twat, walking with a strut and a sneer etc, but what an odd thing to do out of the blue.
Am with the other bloke. I mean who actually holds a mouthful of tea in their mouths? Surely you just slurp it down like everyone else?
djbubbles
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 115 likes

Post by djbubbles »

This is probably more common here in Ireland.
Farmers leaving fields in their tractors or jcb's and leaving a trail of muck and **** on the road for about a mile. Im a taxi driver and just washed my car yesterday and by the time i got to work (15 min drive) it was destroyed. Farmers should be made clean up their mess
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Just out of curiousity and boredom, I started compiling a list of things that irritate me. These were all to do with modern life today. I have got to 139 things so far. However, the list does include quite a number of people I can't stand to look at or listen to on TV and radio. Yes, I have become a miserable git. No doubt about it. Supporting West Ham for donkeys years has obviously played a big part in making me a miserable git too. Cheers.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

FreeWheeling wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:44 pm Was that in Tadley, i remember seeing something about it
No, Alton. Though for all I know other sports centres do it.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

djbubbles wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:02 pm This is probably more common here in Ireland.
Farmers leaving fields in their tractors or jcb's and leaving a trail of muck and **** on the road for about a mile. Im a taxi driver and just washed my car yesterday and by the time i got to work (15 min drive) it was destroyed. Farmers should be made clean up their mess
In the uk they are meant to clean the road but not all do.
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

djbubbles wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:02 pm This is probably more common here in Ireland.
Throw in a drop of diesel and some rain then it becomes all sorts of fun for our biker chums.

Another motoring one, drivers who virtually come to a halt when they turn left. So, the lights change somewhere like Butcher Row heading into the Limehouse Link, they roar off and then practically stop to make a simple turn...........
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 269 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

The number of ex pros, summarisers, sport guest or anybody else on tv/radio that start a reply with "Look" or "listen".
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

sussexhammer74 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:19 pm The number of ex pros, summarisers, sport guest or anybody else on tv/radio that start a reply with "Look" or "listen".
“As I said...”
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2618 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

-DL- wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:07 pm I know this has been on here before, but don't care. Manners. Or rather, lack of them. let a car out today in rush hour. He was turning right out of a side road on to a busy road, and I even held back the traffic. Not so much as a thank you. Stop at Zebra crossing. Not even a thank you. Held a door for someone. Not so much as a thank you. Stop to let a couple cross the road when it wasn't a crossing. neither one of them said thank you. People asking me for tickets and not saying please or thank you.

What is up with people nowadays where they think just basic manners is completely beyond them. Got to a point at the end of my shift where eventually I though "**** the world. I'm coming through, I ain't letting you out, I'm not going to flash you through, just **** off".

I always say please, thank you whatever, and it really isn't difficult to do. It's like some people deliberately go out of their way to not do it, I'm sure of it.
Manners maketh man, DL, and you have them.

I always make a point of saying thank you and being polite. At the very least it gets a smile and at the worst it gets someone thinking later on after the event when they realise that they had been rude to me by not acknowledging my manners.
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

On driving, the standard imo has dropped considerably in the last decade or so. Driving used to be a pleasure when I first started but these days it's sheer purgatory largely because of the idiots behind the wheels. How some of them passed their tests is mind boggling.
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

johnnyb wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:31 am On driving, the standard imo has dropped considerably in the last decade or so. Driving used to be a pleasure when I first started but these days it's sheer purgatory largely because of the idiots behind the wheels. How some of them passed their tests is mind boggling.
Makes me wonder why no government has introduced mandatory retesting after 5 or 10 years? Priced right, it could be a nice little earner for the DVLA and improve the quality of driving on our roads. Unless it would cost too much to police?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

johnnyb wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:31 am On driving, the standard imo has dropped considerably in the last decade or so. Driving used to be a pleasure when I first started but these days it's sheer purgatory largely because of the idiots behind the wheels. How some of them passed their tests is mind boggling.
It's because cars are an extension to your front room. People are shut in this little bubble, mobile on lap, infotainment system on the go, and they do it like brain dead zombies with no awareness of what's around them. Quite clearly people don't bother using their mirrors, they obviously have no concept of giving way to large vehicles that are already in and committed to a hazard, and the way some of the c**** park at school kick out time is crazy.

Thing is, if you got them to retest at 5 years, the first test is still relatively fresh in your mind, so knowing you've got someone watching you, you're not going to be picking up your phone, pissing about with your in car touch screen display, and make an effort to use your mirrors - because the second you get signed off again and they leave the car, you will continue to drive like a **** again.

Case today, I was on the A2 through Newington, two rozza cars piling down the road behind me, I pull off to the side and some twat in a van, who was clearly so distracted that he hadn't been checking his mirrors, came alongside, tooted me, gave me the ****er sign, whilst blocking the road and now the police cars couldn't get through. Absolute ****ing idiot. I saw them in the distance a good 20 seconds before they reached me, and as they got closer, which I could see with quick glances in my off side mirror, I pulled in to the first place where I wouldn't cause an obstruction, the old silly b*llocks came alongside.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

jastons wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:35 am Priced right, it could be a nice little earner for the DVLA
Shut up man!! Its not like we don't pay enough as it is.

They don't even use the money to keep the roads as they should, round my way they're full of pot and sink holes. Rather than repair, they reduce the speed limit, as that makes it 'safe' to use (unless you're a motocyclist I'd imagine).