what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I was in The Horseshoes in Upshire on Sunday

Cracking roast dinner. Was absolutely huge, and it was only a medium [there was an option of SMall, Medium, Large]
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Wembley1966 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:50 pm When the Grays brewery in Chelmsford stopped brewing in 1974, all their pubs subsequently switched to selling Greene King draft and Ridleys bottled beers. I used to love a Bob and Abbot - Ridleys Old Bob ale and Greene King's Abbot.
Ridleys Old Bob was a decent drop. They sold that in the Wheatsheaf on the old A130 at Rettendon.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 417 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Anybody been in the new Micropub in Hornchurch yet?

I frequent the one in Gidea Park occasionally and that's great. Not the same owners so wondered what it's like.

Let me know if you've checked it out :thup:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

No, heard about it and will get round to it, probably not in January though.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

There is one in Upminster now too so I believe. What's that like?
sendô

Post by sendô »

What a time to be alive.
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:18 pm There is one in Upminster now too so I believe. What's that like?
That's been there a while, I went there a few years back when it first opened, you had to buy a cheese board or a sausage roll to be able to purcahse alcohol, as that was the only license they could get.

Haven't been back as it was quite expensive and it felt very clicky, and as it's the size of someone's front room, you can't really avoid the click.

They have signs outside saying they've been voted 'pub of the year' a couple of times, so maybe it has changed since then... but I've never thought 'I have to go back there'
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:35 pm Anybody been in the new Micropub in Hornchurch yet?

I frequent the one in Gidea Park occasionally and that's great. Not the same owners so wondered what it's like.

Let me know if you've checked it out :thup:
Some friends went last weekend and said it was busy but thought the staff seemed to be getting a bit stressed and grumpy !!

I've done the Gidea Park and Upminster ones a few times, makes a change from the usual but can't say I'm that excited plus there all dearer than the nearest pub !!
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:18 pm There is one in Upminster now too so I believe. What's that like?
Been there a couple of times, usually to discuss giving up our ST’s and never going to WHUFC again.

They don’t have a bar to stand at so you are reliant on the waiting staff to notice that you have arrived and ask you what you want. Naturally, the regulars get better attention. The list of beers available is posted up on the wall.

There is a room with barrels racked on shelves for beer to be gravity dispensed or, if you are not a connoisseur like GCRO, they bung a tap on the front of the barrel.

Not really a place to get steamed in and more a quiet couple of pints of some beer you may never have heard of. It is quite small and the tables and chairs are high so that they can store future stock under them.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Where’s the one in Hornchurch?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

The Collector wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:55 pmif you are not an alky like GCRO, they bung a tap on the front of the barrel.
FIFY
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

RE: The Boleyn.

My route home from work was Upton Park tube, down Green Street and on to the Central Park Road. I'd walk past The Boleyn five nights a week and it always seemed dead. Ditto if I was heading in to London of a night time.

They've got to have some kind of business plan in place if they're refurbishing. Pub after pub went once West Ham moved ground. My three were The White Horse (closed), The Hammers (open again as The Red Lion but utterly unrecognisable) and The Denmark (see The Hammers.) Just passing trade won't be enough as the diverse population of Newham were never really pub goers...
sendô

Post by sendô »

I think it's up near the Chequers.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:47 am RE: The Boleyn.

My route home from work was Upton Park tube, down Green Street and on to the Central Park Road. I'd walk past The Boleyn five nights a week and it always seemed dead. Ditto if I was heading in to London of a night time.

They've got to have some kind of business plan in place if they're refurbishing. Pub after pub went once West Ham moved ground. My three were The White Horse (closed), The Hammers (open again as The Red Lion but utterly unrecognisable) and The Denmark (see The Hammers.) Just passing trade won't be enough as the diverse population of Newham were never really pub goers...
SAme as the Red Lion [ex Hammers], they are relying on the influx of young people coming into the area. Plaistow, East Ham etc is slowly becoming seen as an alternative to other more expensive East London destinations [even Forest Gate], I live in FG, and have come across quite a few people who wanted to move to FG but couldn't afford it so headed down towards EAst Ham, Plaistow, etc
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:47 am RE: The Boleyn.

The diverse population of Newham is changing, new money and all that due to relatively cheap housing.
Of course there is a business plan, these people are far from daft.
You mention two failing pubs (above) that now appear to be thriving. Do you think they survive just on passing trade or something else?
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

According to the London Pub Explorer on Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/londonpubexplorer/
The Boleyn Tavern, East Ham.
Certain pubs have a magnetic pull and I’ve commented before how this gin palace-style building often directs you in off the street, as if on auto-pilot.
It’s been operated by the good people at Remarkable Pubs for a year and closed on Sunday night ahead of their refurb.
Built in 1900, it’s what I refer to as the grand old lady of East London due to its close proximity to West Ham’s old ground that shared the same name. Its certainly seen its share of punters toasting 3 points or drowning their sorrows mourning another loss. If they could speak what stories her walls could no doubt tell.
There are so few grand pubs like this left in East London now, other than the Earl of Essex in Manor Park, and stalwarts of the manor would be right to be cautious about the pub being changed too much. Personally I argue that it will actually be even better. As I was given the tour by Jake it was a joy to hear their plans for the next exciting chapter of the pub’s life. Remarkable have done many fantastic refurbs and each one treats the building with respect and dignity, retaining its history, and this will be no different. Jake assured me that they want to return the building to its former glory. Out will go the lino floors and parts of the island bar that block the line of sight to some of the buildings true majesty. Instead we will see the return of multiple screened areas as was the case in the pub’s past. Seeing where these intimate imbibing spaces with perfectly restored etched glass will be set against dark mahogany got this pub fan very excited.
The outside of the building speaks for itself, dominating the local landscape, but it’s the interior and all the ornate features that make this gem sparkle. I can’t wait to see the final sympathetically upgraded results in a few months time. The Grade II listed glass atrium will continue to be the centre piece and an open kitchen will be located in the back room. So many pubs don’t need a refurb or are done painful wrong or on the cheap. There is no danger of that here in E6 and I’m certain the pub will continue to be a valued asset to the community for decades to come. You know what to do...
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

I follow that guy (Londonpubexplorer) on Instagram. He is very good and has promised me a pint when it reopens.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

mushy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:21 am The diverse population of Newham is changing, new money and all that due to relatively cheap housing.
Of course there is a business plan, these people are far from daft.
You mention two failing pubs (above) that now appear to be thriving. Do you think they survive just on passing trade or something else?
Cheap! My old home in E6 was valued at £365,000. It was a two bed terrace. In London, I knew single professionals in their late 30's who still lived in houseshares. Even a one bed flat in Bromley-by-Bow was unaffordable. As much as I loved the opportunity in London, the cost of living was obscene and I feel better off away from it.

I understand The Denmark is dead. If they're looking at food (which seems to be the way forwards) then The Millers further down will undercut it with their burger deals. All my old crew moved to the Conservative Club.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

Popped into the Queens Head on the tramway after the game on Saturday. Have not been in here since the new ownership.

It used to be rammed before and after games but there was a distinct lack of atmosphere this time. Also, they have moved from glasses to plastics.

4/10
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

The vic in Romford yesterday had 4 lovely pints of Guinness for just over a tenner. One of the best pubs in Romford watched the Leicester game and then home for me dinner. 9/10