what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Moxy

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by Moxy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:07 pm

The vic in Romford yesterday had 4 lovely pints of Guinness for just over a tenner. One of the best pubs in Romford watched the Leicester game and then home for me dinner. 9/10

woodgreenspur

Post by woodgreenspur » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:08 pm

Moon under the Water - Watford
Ok. Usual spoons, served its purpose>Cracking pint of Ruddles

Bosleys - Watford
Smart foody type pub.Ran out of real ale so went on the Guinness.Decent pint and not too silly prices

Oddfellows - Watford
Great football pub,cracking pint of stout. Was like football pubs use to be.Would imagine its a good boozer the rest of the week as well.

The Red Lion- Watford
Oh dear. Lovely traditional pub on the outside, but soulless inside.
They have taken away any character to cram more punters in.I understand the logic, but looks like it has ruined what was a decent boozer.
Didn't even order a drink, went back to Oddfellows.

WHU Independent

Post by WHU Independent » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:53 pm

The Eastern Brasserie: Liverpool Street. Had a business meeting there last Tuesday. Wine was nice (I stayed with the Pino) but a bit pricey - £8.00 a medium glass. Still I wasn't paying and it went down very nicely. Food was tops too.

Moxy

Post by Moxy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:49 am

The Vic Romford-me favourite pub but pretty packed yesterday and had no seats available. It’s a tough pub to stand in as there’s not a lot of places to be so we moved on after one.
The Wheatsheaf Romford- second favourite pub had a couple in there but one of the group is spurs and wanted to watch the game and they don’t have sky so unfortunately had to move on again but I would’ve been more then happy to stay put.
The Sun Romford- haven’t been in here for years it’s a massive pub. They had the rugby and football on, not bad with a big screen for the sports.

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:45 pm

The Cellars Arms Micropub, Maidstone

Fantastic place. The beer they sell here is sublime. All from reputable craft breweries with a decent selection on tap, in bottles and in cans. Absolutely love this place. Some of the IPAs are sublime. 10/10

The Thirsty Pig, Maidstone

Another great ale pub. Great selection of Musket ales which went down very nicely indeed. Another 10/10

Monkey Mike

Post by Monkey Mike » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:19 pm

The Globe Inn in Rye

A beautiful, quirky little pub. Everything very tasteful and just so. Beer was lovely, I had a local Porter. Food was amazing, full jockey served in an iron skillet for breakfast, served 8-12. I've been in there previously for a Sunday roast at lunchtime was was exceptional as well. Would highly recommend.

10/10
Last edited by Monkey Mike on Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monkey Mike

Post by Monkey Mike » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:24 pm

The Waterworks, Rye

An old Roman toilet converted into a Micropub. Lovely beer, I had 2 or 3 different ones, all locally produced and very nicely kept. My missus had some rhubarb cider which she was raving about. They do minimal bar snacks in there but for £2.50 a pop the size of the scotch egg, samosas or pork pies is cracking value for money for a snack more substantial than the traditional crisps, scratchings etc. On top of that everything in there is for sale, we ended up going home with one of their tables and 2 old shelving units. Bit of a surprise for the couple playing cards at the table but they'd moved on by the time we left with our purchases!

9/10
Last edited by Monkey Mike on Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monkey Mike

Post by Monkey Mike » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:25 pm

DP Sorry

The Collector

Post by The Collector » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:38 pm

Popped into Mooro’s after the game on Saturday. Reasonably empty and walked around to find somewhere to sit but every table had a sign on it indicating that it was reserved. Walked out.

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:41 pm

The Collector wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:38 pm
Popped into Mooro’s after the game on Saturday. Reasonably empty and walked around to find somewhere to sit but every table had a sign on it indicating that it was reserved. Walked out.
Pubs should operate on a first come first served basis none of that reserved nonsense - Grrrrr - hope you took a shyte on each and every one of them before you left .

WHU Independent

Post by WHU Independent » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:59 pm

The Fugitive Motel Cambridge Heath RD Bethnal Green.

Walked in and the first thing I notice was a group of about 10 women sewing and making a massive quilt. Next the décor - very nice stripped back to the wood and industrial brickwork kinda affair. It was well laid out to. I went to the bar and the only vegan beer they had was in a small tin - think the kind of tin you get on a aircraft. Being an old hand at this game I asked for the price of said beer. "£5.50" was the barman's reply. Me "You seriously want me to pay £5.50 for a third of a pint of beer? That's £15 a pint or more." Barman: "Well it is vegan." I turned round and walked out to...

.... Murphy's White Heart, Whitechapel Road, Whitechapel. This has been taken over by the One Mile End brewery company and they make a lot of the beer they sell. https://www.onemileend.com/

This is how to regenerate a pub. Sell quality beer - I was on their larger with a hint of hops called Salvation (5.7% AVB) at about £4.50 a pint, they have decorated the pub in a great way. They have a massive range of their own and other beers - in both cask and keg form. They have maximised the space, placed a lot of tables with lovely chairs close together - it encourages punter interaction, the lighting is superb - very warm and gives the place a welcoming glow - comfy barstools for those that like to sit at the bar, clean, very helpful bar staff who let you taste any amount of beers before you buy and most importantly for me, everything they sell (re beers and spirts) is vegan. Decent bogs too. and open till 12 midnight on school nights. Highly Recommended. 9/10.

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:08 pm

Vegan Beer......wtf? :?

WHU Independent

Post by WHU Independent » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:05 am

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:08 pm
gan Beer......wtf?
Vegans don't eat or drink any products that come from animals.

Some beer has Isinglass in it. IIsinglass is the dried swim bladders of fish, which is used as a refiner in certain beers and wines. Filings of the material are often used to ‘clarify’ the beer towards the end of the production process, often to help speed up the clarification of the drink.

Some brewers also wash their barrels out with water that contains fish scales and that stays in the beer.

In addition some beers and wines have these elements in them:

Gelatine: Clarifier obtained from the skin, connective tissue, and bones of animals.
Casein/Potassium Caseinate: Protein found in cow’s milks and often used as a clarifier.
Insects: Made into dyes and used for colouring.
Glyceryl Monostearate: Animal derived substance used to control foam.
Pepsin: Also used to control foam, it is sometimes derived from pork.
Albumin:Most common type in brewing is serum albumin, which is taken from animal blood.
Lactose:Beers labelled as sweet, milk, or cream stouts may or may not contain lactose. Sometimes the description refers to the texture and not the ingredient.
Egg White/Honey - used in wine.

I avoid these products in alcohol. I have a website with over 38K wines and beers in that tells me what's vegan and what's not. But with these small craft brewery's, you never know.

I wrote to No 1 Mile End Brewing company and they very kindly replied that all their products are totally vegan.

Since being vegan I check a lot of labels and do quite a bit of research and I was amazed at what crap was in beer (not just animal produce either, chemicals etc)

Here's a link to the basis of the above https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/feat ... l-alcohol/

I still like a pint or two and glass of wine though :)

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:34 am

WHU Independent wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:05 am
I avoid these products in alcohol. I have a website with over 38K wines and beers in that tells me what's vegan and what's not. But with these small craft brewery's, you never know.
You'd be surprised. A lot of the craft brewers supplying to supermarkets have started listing their products as vegan.

I tried a pineapple milkshake IPA which contained lactose the other day from the Black Sheep Brewery. Vile stuff. Way too sweet. The lactose just killed it. Having said that, it does make a stout very smooth indeed.

btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t

Post by btajim - mcfc » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:45 am

Isn't it sad when locals are taken over by a new gaffer and ruined? There was a great pub just a two minute walk from my place and the wonderful landlady sold up. The new man just hasn't got a clue. Regulars have already had their noses put out of joint and gone elsewhere. The service is poor and he's changed too much. Very sad.

woodgreenspur

Post by woodgreenspur » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:30 am

btajim - mcfc wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:45 am
Isn't it sad when locals are taken over by a new gaffer and ruined? There was a great pub just a two minute walk from my place and the wonderful landlady sold up. The new man just hasn't got a clue. Regulars have already had their noses put out of joint and gone elsewhere. The service is poor and he's changed too much. Very sad.
That happened at one of my locals in Wood Green,the Lord Nelson. It was run by a couple and they also employed a manager,all of which knew their stuff. It was then bought out by a group that own diner type places. It went from having what was a 2well.kept reasonably priced ales(GK IPA and a guest ale) to having one ale that was overpriced and very so so. It even became hit and miss whether it would be in at all. The pub now stands empty,as the owners won't put anyone in to run it,but also won't sell.

Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....

Post by Plashet Grove Pete » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:10 pm

Yesterday - Fox & Hounds in Tillingham and The Station Arms in Southminster - both with a good range of beers, and both 9/10.

btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t

Post by btajim - mcfc » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:24 pm

woodgreenspur wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:30 am
That happened at one of my locals in Wood Green,the Lord Nelson. It was run by a couple and they also employed a manager,all of which knew their stuff. It was then bought out by a group that own diner type places. It went from having what was a 2well.kept reasonably priced ales(GK IPA and a guest ale) to having one ale that was overpriced and very so so. It even became hit and miss whether it would be in at all. The pub now stands empty,as the owners won't put anyone in to run it,but also won't sell.
It was great on a Saturday. Loads of old people would come in and do karaoke. It was like the audience for an episode of Mrs Merton. Old blokes are great. They've always got a story (and usually a good sense of humour too.) The music people went elsewhere and now mildly racist men put the world to rights over pints of bitter. I almost took it personally. You have to suspect something underhand happens sometimes because they ruined a goldmine.

Hammer_Time1

Post by Hammer_Time1 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:15 pm

The Marble Arch Inn, Manchester. Fantastic little Victorian pub on the edge of town- traditional tiled interior and has its own brewery (Marble Beers). It has a small beer garden at the back and the beer selection itself is excellent. Atmosphere was good, prices reasonable and some decent food on offer. The only downside is that it's not in a great area and it's a little out of the city centre, but If you're a fan of real ale/IPAs etc. then you will love it. 8.5/10

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:20 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:34 am
I tried a pineapple milkshake IPA ...Vile stuff. Way too sweet.
Would have thought you'd have anticipated that :eh:

Fruity beer don't do it for one little bit.