The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Re: The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Post by ageing hammer »

Great News Tomos very happy for you :thup:
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Great news ToMOS.
As Bob Dylan never said, Everybody must get De- stoned.
:thup:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

OFT wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:30 pm Great news ToMOS.
As Bob Dylan never said, Everybody must get De- stoned.
:thup:

When Tomos got that sepsis it was Knocking on heaven's door :lol:
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

[*]After 18 months away, my head is going back to the Repair Shop.I'll resist medication for as long as poss,and
( and that could be ages anyway, as there isn't much left of MH health provision round here, and waiting lists mean it isn't worth getting an appointment if you're over 65).
I really have tried, but it's got the better of me.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Tenbury wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:04 pm [*]After 18 months away, my head is going back to the Repair Shop.I'll resist medication for as long as poss,and
( and that could be ages anyway, as there isn't much left of MH health provision round here, and waiting lists mean it isn't worth getting an appointment if you're over 65).
I really have tried, but it's got the better of me.
Do you not like meds, Tenners?
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Bipolar meds ,for me at least, are in such high doses, that they often will only give them under strict supervision,either incarcerated or at best with the MHN turning up everyday . You get so that you can't differentiate between the symptoms of the condition and the side effects of the drugs they treat you with.
I tried the excercise/diet thing but that went a bit t*ts up.
I'm not sure they know much about BP in old people,, I suppose because so many don't make it.
I know you asked,but this is not really very constructive.Apols,be lucky everyone.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Tenbury wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:06 pm Bipolar meds ,for me at least, are in such high doses, that they often will only give them under strict supervision,either incarcerated or at best with the MHN turning up everyday . You get so that you can't differentiate between the symptoms of the condition and the side effects of the drugs they treat you with.
I can well believe that.
Any idea of what would help you?
I realise that if it was something that you could do, you'd already be doing it.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

On Saturday me and my friend managed to go to the boxing class. She was determined to go after turning back the last time we tried.

Rather than combining the 2 elements of boxing and mindfulness somehow, it is a boxing class for beginners followed by a mindfulness session acting as the cool down. My friend struggled with some of the exercises and wasn't comfortable so stopped about 2/3 into the class. But she said that now she knows what it entails she wants to go again next week. So in that sense it was a success.
Samba

Post by Samba »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:35 pm On Saturday me and my friend managed to go to the boxing class. She was determined to go after turning back the last time we tried.
Rather than combining the 2 elements of boxing and mindfulness somehow, it is a boxing class for beginners followed by a mindfulness session acting as the cool down. My friend struggled with some of the exercises and wasn't comfortable so stopped about 2/3 into the class. But she said that now she knows what it entails she wants to go again next week. So in that sense it was a success.
That's good to hear, iLL. No doubt about it, some physical exercise can really help, sometimes.
I do think it's a bit pricey at £10 a go though, or is it reduced if someone's not working?
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

It does seem a bit pricey but that is about the going rate I find. My old boxing gym charged similar or slightly less if you made a block booking or £80 for unlimited classes each month.

But there is this also...

FIT TO WORK, STRESS RELIEVING BOXING CLASS FOR JUST
Miguel’s Boxing gym is a community based gym with over 40 years experience in training and mentoring young people.

Our new class is open exclusively to anyone who is currently seeking employment.

We will help individuals to take positive steps towards improving their own futures. Our aim is to enable people to obtain transferable skills which will empower them to successfully compete with other candidates when seeking employment.

BENEFITS OF THE CLASS, STRESS RELIEF, ANGER MANAGEMENT, TEAM WORK, POSITIVE ATTITUDE, LIFE SKILLS

All that we ask is that you provide proof of unemployment

Tuesday – Thursday: 2.30pm – 3.30pm

£1 per session
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Tenbury wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:06 pm Bipolar meds ,for me at least, are in such high doses, that they often will only give them under strict supervision,either incarcerated or at best with the MHN turning up everyday . You get so that you can't differentiate between the symptoms of the condition and the side effects of the drugs they treat you with.
I tried the excercise/diet thing but that went a bit t*ts up.
I'm not sure they know much about BP in old people,, I suppose because so many don't make it.
I know you asked,but this is not really very constructive.Apols,be lucky everyone.

I think talking about your problems , however incoherent can only be of benefit to us , and it's always constructive , mate :thup: - you're one of the most intelligent [ and coherent ] posters on here , Tenbury so if you're struggling it doesn't come across in your posts - that's not to say I don't believe you do struggle because you obviously do and I'm sorry to hear that the side effects of the drugs can replicate some of the symptoms of BP .
You say you tried the Diet & Exercise routine but that it failed momentarily , the important thing is , did it work ? If it did , or it helped alleviate the symptoms then I'd go back to it .
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Had a fair few issues about 15-16 years ago with certain parts of my anatomy and after lots of poking and prodding and seeing various doctors i finally (after seeing a private Doc) had an operation to clear it up. At the time it really affected me mentally, as i was in constant pain. One day it wouldn't be too bad the next i'd be really suffering.

Anyway the operation seemed to do the trick. I've had the occasional bit of pain but it's lasted no longer than a day and gone again. Happy days. However the last three weeks it's come back and is constant. So back to the Docs i went and got checked out and nothing untoward was found. I've been given antibiotics (which aren't doing anything) and at my request i have an ultrasound on Saturday afternoon just for peace of mind. Thing is i fear i'll go through what i did last time, which is we can't find anything wrong and it will be a shrug of the shoulders, come back if it gets worse kind of scenario, and i'll end up having to push to get somebody to give me answers. As i mentioned this really stressed me out last time. Being in pain and being told that they cant find what's wrong is the worst.

I've been on the verge of tears the last two days. Standing up is uncomfortable, sitting down is too, lying down the same. There's no escape from it. The dark mornings and coming home from work in the dark don't help my mood either. Regardless of the pain, i feel like i need a break. Just a few days to switch off and not think about anything. Luckily i'm working from home today which has helped. I haven't got to pretend to feel ok in front of my colleagues.

I'm tired, fed up and want the pain to go away, and i just know i'll be dicking about in Doctors surgeries and hospitals again for months trying to get this sorted out again. Urghhhh.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Feel for you, mate. Constant pain apart from anything else, can be very depressing. It's just not fair, that card you've been dealt & it's not right that docs appear so sh*t at helping you. I'm not saying this will help but there are many conditions that people have & feel the same way as you.
I'm constantly shocked at how many conditions the medical world, struggle to deal with.
You've always got people on here, to talk to & to listen to you.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Samba wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:59 pm Feel for you, mate. Constant pain apart from anything else, can be very depressing. It's just not fair, that card you've been dealt & it's not right that docs appear so sh*t at helping you. I'm not saying this will help but there are many conditions that people have & feel the same way as you.
I'm constantly shocked at how many conditions the medical world, struggle to deal with.
You've always got people on here, to talk to & to listen to you.
Thanks Samba.

Dragged myself out for a run yesterday so feel a little bit better.
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

hi all
just thought I would check in and say hello to all and offer my support if anyone needs its

things are still pants, no job, dads had a stroke and still feel low, but not as bad as i thought i might be
Samba

Post by Samba »

ToiletDuck wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:22 pm hi all
just thought I would check in and say hello to all and offer my support if anyone needs its

things are still pants, no job, dads had a stroke and still feel low, but not as bad as i thought i might be
Hello TD. Glad you checked in. I'm sure we're all with you in spirit.
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

Been a while since I have been on KUMB but wanted to check in here and see how everyone is doing.
Any time anyone needs to reach out I’m here as messages give alerts.

Signed my separation agreement finally yesterday, my 6th year wedding anniversary today.
Feels like the end of a long hard road.

Living in a rental but it’s my space, have the kids 50/50 and all my finances separate and investments protected.
I am extremely lucky in that respect.
Getting on with my wife for the sake of the kids.
It’s taken me putting aside my ego and not going after her. It’s also taken a lot of therapy and support from friends and family.
Some days I’m not in a good place and others I’m fine but it’s about putting one foot in front of the other and getting through moments that seem impossible.
This is a far cry from picking me spot on the way home to stick my car off the motorway bridge.

Today I will be surrounded by my best friends and belatedly celebrating my birthday from last week.

Take it easy out there guys.
Much love.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Great stuff Prawny.
When you have those dark moments,try looking back through a few pages of this thread,and see how far you've come already.You're much,much stronger than you think :thup:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I've had some truly terrible times in my life, most of them, business related, like being well and truly ripped off and stitched up by former business partners or associates, whilst they have sailed off into the sunset and lived the life of Old Riley. That would be enough to send most people off into a bout of depression, but not me. I have always thought, get on, put it behind you and do something about it, or just move on. So, here is my question, because I just don't understand it, what makes some people give up and give in and what makes some people, try and get even ? There is a thing called the Fight or fright chromosome, or is that the difference ?
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 am I've had some truly terrible times in my life, most of them, business related, like being well and truly ripped off and stitched up by former business partners or associates, whilst they have sailed off into the sunset and lived the life of Old Riley. That would be enough to send most people off into a bout of depression, but not me. I have always thought, get on, put it behind you and do something about it, or just move on. So, here is my question, because I just don't understand it, what makes some people give up and give in and what makes some people, try and get even ? There is a thing called the Fight or fright chromosome, or is that the difference ?
Why are some people left handed and some right handed? Why do some people have blue eyes and some brown? Why are some people a bit thick and insensitive and some a bit more empathic?