The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Re: The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Well, there's a video below where he explains his diet. Really worth a watch, it's about half an hour long:

Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Last edited by Mega Ron on Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Prefer Sam Harris :P
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Was having a routine MRI scan on my swede, last night. This is the second one I've had in two years, first one although not a pleasant experience I got through with no trouble, But last night when they slid me backwards into the machine I felt my chest tighten, and the fear of being in that tight enclosed space, unable to get out, got the better of me and I started to panic, I knew I was acting irrationally, but as hard as I tried I just couldn't get the better of the those emotions, I actually pressed the panic button/assist switch they give you, and the technician came in, got me out and reassured me that I could pull myself out of the machine at anytime if I needed to, which was a huge help to know that.

People will read this and think I was overreacting, in truth I probably was, I just didn't like the feeling of being trapped, and then not being in control of my emotions, it all just got the better of me, I thought I was stronger than that, which is a scary feeling. Starting to think I may be claustrophobic..
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

S-H wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:00 am Was having a routine MRI scan on my swede, last night. This is the second one I've had in two years, first one although not a pleasant experience I got through with no trouble, But last night when they slid me backwards into the machine I felt my chest tighten, and the fear of being in that tight enclosed space, unable to get out, got the better of me and I started to panic, I knew I was acting irrationally, but as hard as I tried I just couldn't get the better of the those emotions, I actually pressed the panic button/assist switch they give you, and the technician came in, got me out and reassured me that I could pull myself out of the machine at anytime if I needed to, which was a huge help to know that.

People will read this and think I was overreacting, in truth I probably was, I just didn't like the feeling of being trapped, and then not being in control of my emotions, it all just got the better of me, I thought I was stronger than that, which is a scary feeling. Starting to think I may be claustrophobic..
I had an MRI once. As they slid me in, to my sudden horror the top of the tunnel seemed about 2 inches from my nose. I had that same sense of panic where ALL you want to do is to get the f*ck out of there. Luckily, I managed to calm down.
I think it might be quite a common reaction although it's interesting that you got through the first time ok. From that day, the thought of potholing has appealed to me much less than it did. Watching Charles Bronson in The Great Escape has also since, taken on new meaning..
Interesting post, SH.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

Mega Ron wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:50 pm Jordan Peteerson is a hero
For what?
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Don't beat yourself up over it SH, I suffer a little with claustrophobia and it's a horrible feeling! MRI scan is rather tight!

The Bronson scene in Great Escape always makes my sphincter go a little as well :D
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

my sons mate topped himself early hours of Monday morning - my boy was down the pub with him earlier in the day and as always is the case had no idea this would happen a few hours later - terrible news and my son is really cut up about it obviously - my boy is nearly 19 so assume his mate was of a similar age.

if anyone has these thoughts please talk to someone/anyone - the lad had his whole life in front of him - such a waste
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

****ing hell man.
That is awful news, sorry for your boys loss.

I've come pretty close three times in my life and the first was at sixteen and I am thankful for the opportunities that I have had, but at the time for a variety of reasons I left alone in a crowded room, but I found someone to talk to.
Incredibly sad to hear, far too young.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

19! f*ck that's so sad.

What can you say? The best thing you can do, is just be there for him at this stage.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 924 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

S-H wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:45 pm 19! f*ck that's so sad.

What can you say? The best thing you can do, is just be there for him at this stage.
Awful news Psycho .... as SH said, be there for him and try to get him to talk, it might take a while but keep offering for him to chat.
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:21 pm
Good lord that's dreadful. Best wishes to your boy.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Jesus, that's terrible. 19 years old is no age. I can't even begin to imagine the torment he must have been feeling.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

A teenager FFS.

What is going on?
How can this happen in this day and age in this wealthy country?
How can anything,ANYTHING, be more of a priority than a young person 's well being and even their life?

I feel desperately sorry for the young man's family , friends and loved ones.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Last edited by Mega Ron on Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:21 pm my sons mate topped himself early hours of Monday morning - my boy was down the pub with him earlier in the day and as always is the case had no idea this would happen a few hours later - terrible news and my son is really cut up about it obviously - my boy is nearly 19 so assume his mate was of a similar age.

if anyone has these thoughts please talk to someone/anyone - the lad had his whole life in front of him - such a waste
That's just devastating news , Psycho , very very sad .

I always thought that the years from 17-22 can be difficult - I spoke at length to an ex work colleague who was in that age bracket about the dangers of self harm and worse and I have spoken to our son about it too - your emotions are all over the place at that age , a love affair gone wrong and you think it's the end of the world , in the case of my old mate it was alcohol and drug abuse but it can be anything , anything at all - I told them both if they had any thoughts of the negative kind to get in touch with me as soon as possible - Depression can hit the young and the old .
psychoscoredthelot

thanks everyone although what my son is going through must be nothing for the lads parents and family - my lad has had the day off work today as he is so down about it all

i keep telling him to talk to me about it - if not me someone else - anyone else - but just talk

the lad that killed himself has tried to do it before i have been told and to go into the woods with a length of rope, wasnt just a cry for help was it.

its really affected me and the wife and we have emphasised to my boy the importance of letting us know when he stays out for the night now - just to give us some peace of mind really.

its horrible seeing my boy so upset by it all

ive even offered him my ticket for the spurs match but not sure if that will cheer him up
psychoscoredthelot

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:48 pm Jesus, that's terrible. 19 years old is no age. I can't even begin to imagine the torment he must have been feeling.
thats what makes it so sad really - i keep telling my son there is nothing that cant be sorted out - even if its the worse thing in the world you can imagine - over time things will get better surely.

a future wasted
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

Psycho,
Am sure you are already aware but your son may need to be looked after a little more than normal over the coming months and years.
This mob here -:
https://www.facingthefuturegroups.org/Home

Are a charity set up specifically for those bereaved by suicide, including family and friends.

Its run jointly by CRUSE and The Samaritans and have heard some first hand anecdotal evidence that its an excellent thing to do.
They do recommend though that you wait a minimum of three months, this is because people are in so much shock its very hard to take things in at first.
Good luck and best wishes to all those effected.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:57 pm thats what makes it so sad really - i keep telling my son there is nothing that cant be sorted out - even if its the worse thing in the world you can imagine - over time things will get better surely.

a future wasted
Such a tragic story.
Good to hear though that you & your wife are giving your son total support.
The other lad was clearly suffering & we can only hope that he is now at peace.