The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 45 likes

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Post by Gnome »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Last visited:Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:05 pm

That was the session start time I presume which contained his latest post.

Concerning.

Does anyone on here know Chris personally to get in touch?

Mods - do you have any further contact details?
It appears that his contact details held on the system are not up to date I'm afraid.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

EastLondonHammer wrote:
My name is Christopher I'm 26 and really am a few days away from killing myself, the last time I felt this bad I ended up in hospital. Now I feel even worse. I lost my dad in June who was my best friend and my only reason for living since my Mum died suddenly in 2011, I have no family or friends around me at all. Nothing. I go days without talking to anybody but myself,

There really is just nothing that can change my mind anymore, I am a useless freak that would be better of dead and I'm exhausted with it all. I wish I was able to carry it out that night back in June at least we could of been cremated together and wouldn't have to have felt like this every day for 6 months and avoiding seeing any support workers as saying goodbye would make it even harder.
Dear Christopher ,
I truly hope you return here to read the responses that people have given , our best hope is that your support worker has managed to find you a place in hospital so that you may be safe from harm , anything else doesn't bear thinking about .
A lot of people here want to help you , David's Cross , that was a lovely statement , mate , bless you , Officer Dibble , you are outstanding , sir - and all the others , all brilliant people - Christopher , if you can reach out to just one of us and we'll take it from there , everyone here is on your side , let just one of us in , you can pm any one of us , me included . I just wish I was nearer , you'd be welcome to stay with us any time you want , I'd pay your train fare and come and get you from the station . Just send one of us a message .
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Best wishes to Chris.

Well. I have PTSD. In the last 12 months I have lost a dear friend to suicide and yesterday discovered my elderly mother is terminally ill and most probably will have a very unpleasant end to her life. Mt Dad wont go to another game until she passes that's for sure. Will go on my own today.

The aggression is what worries me. Road rage is evident. Totally disproportionate reaction. I need to get back into boxing but im an old man now. I know im not right but really dont know what to do about it. Had therapy after the suicide through my employer and conned her i was ok to get back to work.

hey ho. Ive bounced back before so expect to again.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Hugh,mate, make an appointment with your GP soon as after the holiday .Give him the full SP. You're a sensible bloke (pardon) just get it done...Best Wishes.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Still nothing from Christopher since his last message and login.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Well. I have PTSD. In the last 12 months I have lost a dear friend to suicide and yesterday discovered my elderly mother is terminally ill and most probably will have a very unpleasant end to her life. Mt Dad wont go to another game until she passes that's for sure. Will go on my own today.
I'm very sorry to hear this Hugh. I hope they can make your mum as comfortable as possible.

As for your good self, I know it's difficult under the circumstances, supporting your dad and all, but it's okay to be a little bit selfish and carve a bit of "me" time.

As you say maybe the boxing? I do a box fit class (okay not the same) but it's a real mix bag of old and young, male and female, fit and not so fit.

Exercise is a fantastic anti depressant. Boxing more so.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

RichieRiv wrote:Exercise is a fantastic anti depressant. Boxing more so.
It's my mindset now. That and diet.
I feel I don't deserve to feel as concerned as I do if I'm not treating myself with enough respect by eating and living well to give myself the best chance of feeling better.

I will enjoy my Christmas period and have good sit down and plan out the best way to go about changing my lifestyle, but most importantly, putting it into action.
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Don't get me wrong, I love a booze and a crafty fag, but I like to remain disciplined and exercise a minimum of 3 times a week, pushing for 4. All of which are high intensity - box fit, circuits and boot camp.

Not to I feel better for it, but I also sleep a lot better.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I hope you're ok Christopher, we are all thinking of you.

All the best mate, hope to hear from you soon.

And to anyone else suffering, I hope for tomorrow at least you all have a great day and manage to relax and forget about your troubles.
Lt. Discussion

Post by Lt. Discussion »

Exercise was and still is the best medicine for me. Better than all the quetiapine amd mirtazapine i could chuck down my gregory. It sounds like a cliche but its true. Its probably overkill but i run 10k everyday without fail and a quick 20 mins on the resistance machines. If i'm honest, i'm a bit obsessed. If i don't for some reason make it to the gym i get really down on myself and the fog reappears. They should bottle the post workout feeling. Recently joined and athletics club too to hone whatever running techniques i may have. Its also quite good to be around people who wont judge you as they dont know your past. Took me six months to pluck up the courage to join, such was the anxiety around it. As someone mentioned diet is amazingly important. No complex carbs or sat fats for me. Plenty of oily fish and pulses.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

My best friend died in August and the gulf she has left at this time is destroying me atm. Xmas and new year was always a big time for us ( she was a platonic friend and nothing more) and I thought I was coping ok. But Xmas is hurting me real bad. I really thought I had it sorted, but the drink, the season and the lack of her being here over the xmas period is hard. The lack of phone calls, lack of worry about liking each others presents and the boxing day phone calls where we were happy with what we bought each other is a vacuum in my life.

I'm not gonna kill myself or anything. It's just like I was enjoying xmas and now it has become so bleak. I'm really gonna have to rally tomorrow to do all the things I have to do. I feel like I have been punched in the stomach, real bad.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Christmas and Birthdays are hardest times,I'm sat here before 6 on a Christmas morning thinking of my mum and she's been gone nearly 10 years( my son,(Ted) can't even remember her.
With time, it does get a little easier, when my daughter passed I thought things would never go on,but(this sounds crazy) All those memories at the time I keep in a little box(imaginary) that I always carry around in an imaginary pocket.When I'm feeling strong,or even reflective,like now, I open the box revisit those feelings(not all of them bad) and then when it gets too much I put them back in the box,close the lid,and keep them safe.
If this is the wieirdest thing you've ever read at Christmas,I'm sorry,it's just a way of dealing with it that seems to work for me.
I'm sure your friend would want you to remember her with a smile. Best Wishes. :|
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Memories of passed family and friends are only natural, especially at Christmas. But I tend to find the memories of clearer than ever and they do give me some comfort. Although I miss them dearly, especially my dad, we had some great Christmas' and they form part of who I am.
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

Been catching up with this wonderful thread over the last few days, really sad to read Christopher s post and do hope all is as well as can be. As mentioned, there are really good people here for you Christopher.

Reading the last few posts about family is pertinent to me at the min. I've said before that as I've got older this time of year fuels my depression to the point where I dread the whole thing from it's seemingly increasingly early introduction each year right up until Jan 2nd when I start to relax as it's as far away as ever.
Add to that I'm weaning myself(guided by my GP) off my Fluoxetine and lost my Mum who always spent Christmas and boxing day with us, just 4 weeks ago. This is the first year we're not staying at ours Christmas day, it does n't seem right.

For all that I'm lucky to have grandchildren and they'll keep me busy.

All the very best to you all.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Sorry to hear about your Mum , OFT , especially at this time of year .

It hits us all in a variety of ways - I gave up looking after our garden when my Mother died , did all sorts of stuff that was not of my nature - life goes on but the memory of your Mum will stay with you forever .

Stay well all of you .
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

Few years back my Dad died a couple of days before Christmas, was coming home to see home for the holidays and he passed the day before we was flying back to London.
So today is always bitter sweet for me.
My wife's Dad also passed a few weeks ago, so I am keeping a close eye on her as she was very close to him.

Thoughts are with Christopher and others today.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Seems there's a whole lot of us.

Stay safe everyone, another year approaches.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Thanks for all the advice above. Much appreciated. I didn't know it was on my mind so much. Apparently I woke the household up shouting: "She's not dead!" loudly in my sleep at approx 7pm this morning. They didn't wake me up as I calmed down shorty after. I think about her even when I am unconscious it seems.
Officer Dibble
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by Officer Dibble »

Tenbury wrote:Seems there's a whole lot of us.
So true.

Everyone looks at other people as they pass in the street unaware of what is happening in their personal life.

I hope everyone has managed to cope, in their own way, with Christmas Day. Stay strong and safe.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

If anyone knows who Christopher is there is something very important to do. Pm me and I will do it on your behalf. Anonymity assured. I need full name (and address if possible). Heaven help anyone who thinks its ok to maintain his privacy at such a desperate time for him.
:crest:

cheers.