Bird advice .... the feathery kind!!

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Tenbury

Re: Bird advice .... the feathery kind!!

Post by Tenbury » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:10 pm

Although they travel such treacherous journeys the swift numbers seem to suffer chiefly as a result of our actions here in the UK.
For very good reasons, people are attending to the insulation of their homes and as a result many of the gaps in eaves etc are blocked up leaving fewer nest sites. Not a great problem with one of two storey buildings, but very much so in respect to the taller structures the swift favour. There is an easy solution....
Custom made 'swift' bricks are available for new builds(IMO , they should be mandatory in ALL new builds) and for those with tall old dwellings, like me, the RSPB have some excellent swift boxes.They're not cheap, but I've got 3 going up at the front of my gaff this side of Christmas.
You don't have to be a birder or insane, (or both) to admire these birds, sitting outside while they flash above you, screaming at each other is completely uplifting.

Johnny Byrne's Boots

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:58 pm

I went out into the garden between downpours today and heard, as usual, one of those verminous parakeets only this one didn't whizz past in a straight line as per normal, it seemed to hang about in the same spot. Most unusual. I looked up and saw it bothering a red kite, no more than fifty feet up right over my garden. What a majestic sight they are, and rather big close up.

Tenbury

Post by Tenbury » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:22 am

Are you in the Chilterns, JBB?

In the past 15 years the Welsh kites have migrated as far East as here, and there are three of four nesting sites in Worcestershire/South Shrops.Majestic describes them perfectly.

Johnny Byrne's Boots

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:43 pm

I'm in Sunbury (where the M3 starts), on the southwest edge of London. Those I see here are from the release site near Chinnor in the Chilterns. If you ever drive out along the M40 you'll see hundreds of them soaring the ridge between High Wycombe and Stokenchurch.

We occasionally get buzzards too, with their wonderful plaintive call.

DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:22 pm

Tenbury wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:22 am
Are you in the Chilterns, JBB?

In the past 15 years the Welsh kites have migrated as far East as here, and there are three of four nesting sites in Worcestershire/South Shrops.Majestic describes them perfectly.
Those birds around the Chilterns were from Spain originally iirc Tenners. Welsh kites are now doing so well they do now use them to restock other areas. Much of my family come from mid-Wales the last place which had these wonderful birds remained before the brilliant restocking programme began around the country. Saw several fly low enough to see their colours. over my auntie’s house this morning one or two of them doing uncannily accurate impersonations of a shepherd directing his sheep dog.

DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:30 pm

view from the shires wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:44 pm
We are lucky this year as we have had greenfinches for the first time fir a few years. We haven’t seen any young, but the goldfinches have had a great breeding year.
Gold finches seem to be everywhere at the moment. I must look it up but they seem like a success story to me.

I’m hoping green finches are recovering from that dreadful beak disease that decimated them. I too have seen one or two in the garden this last year having not seen any for a while previously. My friend in Wales had about half a dozen on feeders this morning including what looked like this year’s young - she said they were coming back. Anecdotal but hopeful.

Tenbury

Post by Tenbury » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:34 am

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:43 pm
I'm in Sunbury (where the M3 starts), on the southwest edge of London. Those I see here are from the release site near Chinnor in the Chilterns. If you ever drive out along the M40 you'll see hundreds of them soaring the ridge between High Wycombe and Stokenchurch.

We occasionally get buzzards too, with their wonderful plaintive call.
Used to watch the kites there years ago, I'm sure the main reason that stretch of the M40 (always known,don't know why, to despatch riders as Chickensh*t Alley) has such a high accident rate is because everyone's staring at them!
Buzzards we have p!enty of, nothing better than watching them being hassled by crows,whom it seems do it mostly for fun.
Yesterday , following the rain ,was a good day by the river, saw a grey wagtail ,2 Moorhens and the usual dipper in the space of about 800 yds.

Shy Ted

Post by Shy Ted » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:01 am

On Red Kites.
Red kites were re-establish to their previously indigenous habitat in the Chilterns, by Sir John Paul Getty from the Wormsley estate in the Chiltern Hills of Buckinghamshire.

He died yesterday 26/09/19.

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/2 ... is-legacy/

Tenbury

Post by Tenbury » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:35 am

Thought he'd snuffed it years ago.

On the subject of introductions, anyone fancy a trip to the Isle of Wight....? it's closer than Mull...

Shy Ted

Post by Shy Ted » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:21 pm

Tenbury wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:35 am
Thought he'd snuffed it years ago.
You are correct Tenners, he died 2003.

:oops:

r99c

Post by r99c » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:11 am

DaveWHU1964 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:30 pm
Gold finches seem to be everywhere at the moment. I must look it up but they seem like a success story to me.

I’m hoping green finches are recovering from that dreadful beak disease that decimated them. I too have seen one or two in the garden this last year having not seen any for a while previously. My friend in Wales had about half a dozen on feeders this morning including what looked like this year’s young - she said they were coming back. Anecdotal but hopeful.
+1 to the goldfinches. For years our garden would mostly just be sparrows, starlings in spring/summer, the very occasional blue tit and one or two robins, along with the occasional magpies. Then last year all of a sudden goldfinches arrived in their droves and we now see them most of all, they love the niger seed.

Samba

Post by Samba » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:26 pm

Shy Ted wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:21 pm
You are correct Tenners, he died 2003.
:oops:
He was so rich, he could afford to die twice, Ted!

Shy Ted

Post by Shy Ted » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:00 pm

Samba wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:26 pm
He was so rich, he could afford to die twice, Ted!
:lol:
Very good Samba.

Tenbury

Post by Tenbury » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:10 pm

Walking with eldest daughter by the Teme this afternoon, and the kingfisher flashed past.They seem to have moved upstream a bit, but when there's this much colour in the water I guess the minnows are harder to spot so they end up travelling further.Whatever the reason, it's made my week.

WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:48 pm

Earlier today - this is about 50 yards from my front door. Still can't believe I'm getting these beauties almost literally on my doorstep!

https://twitter.com/harbourbirds/status ... 6637995008

Johnny Byrne's Boots

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:20 pm

I'm not even a little bit jealous. Honest.

southbrishammer

Post by southbrishammer » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:23 pm

I saw a pair of great tits in my garden today. Does that count?

Shy Ted

Post by Shy Ted » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:34 pm

southbrishammer wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:23 pm
I saw a pair of great tits in my garden today. Does that count?
No

This time of year they must have been blue tits mate.

Samba

Post by Samba » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:40 pm

Shy Ted wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:34 pm
No

This time of year they must have been blue tits mate.
It was a bit nippy..

Samba

Post by Samba » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:41 pm

WestHamByTheSea wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:48 pm
Earlier today - this is about 50 yards from my front door. Still can't believe I'm getting these beauties almost literally on my doorstep!

https://twitter.com/harbourbirds/status ... 6637995008
Blimey, they're big old buggers, ain't they..