Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: Beer/Lager Thread

Post by DasNutNock »

jastons wrote:Cider, seriously underrated.
:thup:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

cambridge hammer wrote:Isn't Mythos made by Carlsberg?
That's the story
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

I'm not big on draught lager but Hop House 13 is pukka. :thup:
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:I'm disappointed with what Youngs are doing to their pubs of late.
What they doing, GC?
I remember when the Youngs Brewery was in the middle of Wandsworth High Street. Think they closed in 2006 when they moved into the Wells Brewery at Bedford, combining the two companies.
Wonder if the Youngs brews altered their flavours, in the move? You know, different water, tanks & pipework, the whole shebang.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

that's settled it...if it ain't raining Saturday I am going down The Pub.....I might go even if it is !!!!!!!

:D
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

Japanese beers are great - Asahi is the one most of you will have probably had, but swerve that in favour of a Sapporo (£4ish for a big can, quite hoppy) or Kirin (about £3 a bottle, nice and smooth and my personal favourite beer). You can get both from Morrison’s... go to your local Asian superstore and grab some Sake to chase it down with and you’ll be as ****ed as a salaryman in no time 8-)
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Samba wrote:What they doing, GC?
I remember when the Youngs Brewery was in the middle of Wandsworth High Street. Think they closed in 2006 when they moved into the Wells Brewery at Bedford, combining the two companies.
Wonder if the Youngs brews altered their flavours, in the move? You know, different water, tanks & pipework, the whole shebang.
Well, from what I've seen, they're intent on turning their pubs into gastro pubs and any pub that had amassed any character, their business plan is to rip the heart out of it and put an emphasis on dining and food. Prime example being the Bull & Gate in Kentish Town which aside being a musically historical pub that regularly put on live bands is within spitting distance of the Kentish Town Forum - so you'd assume the natural watering hole for any gig goers and as such, a drinkers pub. Well, I'll just leave the Trip Advisor photos to show you what it's turned into:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... 1&filter=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's also a great pub in Maidstone that has also had it's character killed off and turned into some gastro abomination. I understand pubs need to diversify to compete but FFS, pubs that are already doing really well should just be left alone and the failing pubs given this treatment.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
There's also a great pub in Maidstone that has also had it's character killed off and turned into some gastro abomination. I understand pubs need to diversify to compete but FFS, pubs that are already doing really well should just be left alone and the failing pubs given this treatment.
Which one ?

And talking of pubs in Maidstone, the Dog & Gun closes it's doors this weekend for the very last time, another pub gone, and one that always supported the local music scene too :(
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

All these gastro pubs all end up looking the same, with no character, straight out of a showroom book, same menu boil in a bag food, £7 a pint and £5 for a portion of chips but in French and chips à l'huile de truffe
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Billy Hunt wrote:Which one ?
Earl's or as it's known now, The Market House
And talking of pubs in Maidstone, the Dog & Gun closes it's doors this weekend for the very last time, another pub gone, and one that always supported the local music scene too :(
I know - that's a real shame. Spent some great days and nights in that place (even though the beer is pony). A band I sometimes stand in for the bass player is playing this Sunday so I'll probably be down there.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Well, from what I've seen, they're intent on turning their pubs into gastro pubs and any pub that had amassed any character, their business plan is to rip the heart out of it and put an emphasis on dining and food.
That's the same as pretty much every pub up and down the country now though.

The days of the local being propped up purely by regulars going in there and drinking a lot of pints are pretty much gone, if a pub isn't earning money through food then it probably isn't earning money in most cases.

It's the society we have now.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

I know - that's a real shame. Spent some great days and nights in that place (even though the beer is pony). A band I sometimes stand in for the bass player is playing this Sunday so I'll probably be down there.
Our paths must have crossed I'm sure. The Sunday 5PM slot was always a good way to finish a weekend off when I lived in Maidstone - What band is that this Sunday?

Agree re Earls, not been in there since it changed and most likely never will...

p.s. apologies for hijacking a beer/lager thread - GCRO feel free to PM me instead
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Well, from what I've seen, they're intent on turning their pubs into gastro pubs and any pub that had amassed any character, their business plan is to rip the heart out of it and put an emphasis on dining and food. Prime example being the Bull & Gate in Kentish Town which aside being a musically historical pub that regularly put on live bands is within spitting distance of the Kentish Town Forum - so you'd assume the natural watering hole for any gig goers and as such, a drinkers pub. Well, I'll just leave the Trip Advisor photos to show you what it's turned into:
Very fond memories of that place.Been getting in there since about 1984.They had the same head barman from then up until it closed prior to refurb.
Always got a mix of different people in there.Old Londoners, Irish, skinheads ,punks etc(quite often depending on who was playing next door).
The function room had some great nights in there as well.One of my favourite clubs ever was Sound Affects from the early 90s. Saw loads of "celebs" in there down the years as well,mainly from bands.
I haven't been in the place since it re opened.Not sure i want to.

Any real Ale Drinkers notice Courage Best seems to be getting a bit more popular again?
Cracking pint,when looked after and always seems to be a good price as well.£2.20 a pint in the pub near me i drink it in.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

sendô wrote:That's the same as pretty much every pub up and down the country now though.

The days of the local being propped up purely by regulars going in there and drinking a lot of pints are pretty much gone, if a pub isn't earning money through food then it probably isn't earning money in most cases.

It's the society we have now.
Obviously I can't say for certain but both the pubs I've given examples of were packed in the evenings with drinkers listening to live music. I'd be hugely surprised if they were struggling and expanding their catering facilities and menu was the answer to their money woes.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

sendô wrote: That's the same as pretty much every pub up and down the country now though.

I don't drink in pubs where they sell meals (it was alright 40 years ago when it was a ploughmans or f*ck off)
If I want to eat , that's what restaurants are for.
There's 6 pubs in town, and 3 don't do anything other than the odd bag of crisps, or cheeslets for the dog.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Complimenary cheese & biscuits on a sunday lunchtime.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

A heads up for anyone out & about in Norfolk.
About 8 miles North East of Norwich at the little village of Woodbastwick is the 'Woodfordes Brewery'. It's got a little shop & I think you can go on a brewery tour if you book beforehand. Its 'brewery tap' is the 'Fur & Feathers' - decent food but no accomodation.
Check the website for their range. I tried copy & pasting on here but the formatting went all to cock!
Great if you're on holiday, on the 'Broads'.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

sendô wrote: I don't drink in pubs where they sell meals (it was alright 40 years ago when it was a ploughmans or f*ck off)
If I want to eat , that's what restaurants are for.
There's 6 pubs in town, and 3 don't do anything other than the odd bag of crisps, or cheeslets for the dog.
Yes! I frequent a pub in Edinburgh where a good pint is guaranteed. If you ask for food the barman/lady will directed you to the cards behind the bar, “Plain, Cheese and Onion or a bag of dry roasted?”.
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Beavertown Neck Oil.

So nice I might have borrowed a glass.

I think one of the big companies has bought them out though.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Beavertown's Lupuloid is a good IPA, much, much more drinkable than a 6.7% ABV should be :P

Their Gamma Ray is a fruity wee number that I enjoy greatly.