A place to call home: where next?

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 662 likes

Re: Watton, Norfolk

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Bridgewater is very industrialised but otherwise not too bad. Plenty of pubs and shops. Close enough to the Quantocks to get away from it
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

Have you looked st some the villages in Sussex, boss? Send nice ones like Ditchling, Cuckfield, Alfriston
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Lots of new accommodation in Bridgwater - with the added bonus that it's close to Hinkley Point:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-47718991
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2687 likes
Total likes: 1783 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Are you looking to get out of Essex completely - would you consider quieter villages within the county ?

I always liked Corringham .

My sister in law and her husband live in Hatfield Peverel , it's quite nice .

Do you need a connection to London ?
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:04 pm Are you looking to get out of Essex completely - would you consider quieter villages within the county ?

I always liked Corringham .

My sister in law and her husband live in Hatfield Peverel , it's quite nice .

Do you need a connection to London ?
TOMoS, did you see 'The One Show' tonight?
They had a feature on The Skye boat ferry, with old footage. Isn't that what you worked on? I was looking for you.
Samba

Post by Samba »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:04 pm Are you looking to get out of Essex completely - would you consider quieter villages within the county ?
Jaywick. Close to the beach, sea view & not expensive..
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Samba wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:47 pm Jaywick. Close to the beach, sea view & not expensive..
... for a reason.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Samba wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:47 pm Jaywick. Close to the beach, sea view & not expensive..
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-48908686

Can the Happy Club help save Jaywick Sands?

Jaywick Sands is one of England's most deprived areas. A picture of it even featured in a US elections attack ad last year, warning voters about urban decay.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Samba

Post by Samba »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:24 am https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-48908686
Can the Happy Club help save Jaywick Sands?
Jaywick Sands is one of England's most deprived areas. A picture of it even featured in a US elections attack ad last year, warning voters about urban decay.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
'Danny Slogget immediately clocks the dishevelled, homeless man - possibly worse for wear through alcohol - coming through the doors of Jaywick's church hall'.

And THAT was the vicar..
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 3492 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Marky wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:02 pmHave you looked st some the villages in Sussex, boss? Send nice ones like Ditchling, Cuckfield, Alfriston
Not yet Marky - will have a nose though, thanks for the tip.

Wembley1966 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:55 pmLots of new accommodation in Bridgwater - with the added bonus that it's close to Hinkley Point...
Likewise, Wembley.

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:04 pmAre you looking to get out of Essex completely - would you consider quieter villages within the county ?
Corringham's not really on our radar, ToMoS. Hatfield Peveral we've looked at. I like Bicknacre/Danbury but it ain't cheap.
East Sussex Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by East Sussex Hammer »

If you are looking in East Sussex try Heathfield and Hailsham area lots of new developments and many nice villages and good pubs.

Plenty of local football teams for the kids and lots of activities for them as well.

Close to Eastbourne , Hastings and Brighton and only 1.15 - 1.30 from Grays ( Can be done in an hour with the right traffic conditions)
Samba

Post by Samba »

East Sussex Hammer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:41 pm and only 1.15 - 1.30 from Grays ( Can be done in an hour with the right traffic conditions)
Should have left that bit out, mate..
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

I used to visit Hethersett in Norfolk quite a bit and I have got to say I have never met so many rude and parochial people in all my life. I quite liked Norwich but still found the people to be rude.

I'm obviously going to be biased towards Somerset having lived down this way for over 25 years. I love the countryside down here and never grow tired of it...much of it is hilly but you also get the Somerset Levels which add a nice contrast. We get more rain down here, especially in the autumn and winter but spring is excellent and summer is usually very good. It never gets as sticky hot like it does in the south-east. Life is certainly slower and people tend to be laid back.

I actually quite like Taunton. I would choose it over Bridgwater any day of the week but you get a lot of good cheap housing in Bridgwater. Places I like around my way include Frome, Bradford-on-Avon (expensive), Wells (expensive), Portishead and Keynsham. You get some nice villages south of Bristol but they are usually very expensive. Going north of Bristol you get places like Wooton-Under-Egde and Stroud, which are both pretty good.

Moving to another part of the country is a big step but wherever you go there are always some decent places and how easily you settle in can be luck of the draw (good community, nice neighbours, etc.).

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.
EastBrisHammer

Post by EastBrisHammer »

I forgot to mention, Devizes in Wiltshire is very nice.

This little place has come up for sale.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-fo ... 77516.html
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 3492 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

East Sussex Hammer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:41 pmIf you are looking in East Sussex try Heathfield and Hailsham area lots of new developments and many nice villages and good pubs.
Good info ESH, thanks.

EastBrisHammer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:08 pmThis little place has come up for sale.
Love the description as a "ten bedroom semi-detached house"... Very helpful couple of posts there EBH, many thanks.
Shy Ted
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

Yeah East Sussex is where you need to be looking Boss.
You would not like it here in Wroxham/Norfolk, full of nasty people and you would probably be shanghaied.
:wink:
Samba

Post by Samba »

EastBrisHammer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:08 pm I forgot to mention, Devizes in Wiltshire is very nice.
This little place has come up for sale.
OMG!
If I'd won last night, I'd be now making them an offer they couldn't refuse & you could've all come to my castle warming party.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Shy Ted wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:52 pm Yeah East Sussex is where you need to be looking Boss.
You would not like it here in Wroxham/Norfolk, full of nasty people and you would probably be shanghaied.
I think UtJ might be starting to get the impression that you don't want him to live near you, Ted!
EastBrisHammer

Post by EastBrisHammer »

Shy Ted wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:52 pm Yeah East Sussex is where you need to be looking Boss.
Personally it was being made to make piggy noises that I found too much. The rest of it was fine. :lol:

To be honest the rest of Norfolk may be wonderful but I certainly found the people of Hethersett to be hard work.
Shy Ted
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

Samba wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:04 pm I think UtJ might be starting to get the impression that you don't want him to live near you, Ted!
Hope so. :evil:

I can talk piggy Eastbris.
Last edited by Shy Ted on Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.