A place to call home: where next?

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

pablo jaye
Has liked: 2603 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Re: A place to call home: where next?

Post by pablo jaye »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:01 pm Coincidentally we (finally) had an offer on our gaff at the weekend. Might have to start looking again (having basically given up before Christmas).

Anyone from round Devizes way? What's the area like?
Devizes is in a great part of the world, v picturesque and as Tenners says Wadworths and in particular, 6X, is a fine drop of ale. Whilst rural it’s not far from bigger places in the West Country and the M4 isn’t far.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 334 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

pablo jaye wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:53 pm Wadworths and in particular, 6X, is a fine drop of ale.
It's not bad but Wadworth's describe it as "a strong premium ale" but it's got an ABV of only 4.1%. There's stronger session ales out there.
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:01 pm Coincidentally we (finally) had an offer on our gaff at the weekend. Might have to start looking again (having basically given up before Christmas).

As I mentioned before, check out Cirencester too.

The area around Devizes is generally picturesque and very quiet. It takes some getting used to moving down this way after leaving the south-east, but I would never go back east unless I really had to. Schools are generally good, the people are laid back (sometimes too laid back if you are used to London), and the housing stock very varied. You certainly get more community stuff going on and I think Devizies has a variety of festivals and events throughout the year. I don't really know the town that well but I have friends from Chippenham and Calne and they say it is a nice place.
EastBrisHammer

Post by EastBrisHammer »

How about this property near Corsham. Corsham is a nice village near Bath and Chippenham.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-fo ... 73135.html
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 757 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

EastBrisHammer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:56 am It takes some getting used to moving down this way after leaving the south-east, but I would never go back east unless I really had to.
Sounds perfect. Cirecester looks like a nice place.
EastBrisHammer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:26 pmHow about this property near Corsham. Corsham is a nice village near Bath and Chippenham.
Nice inside EBH, but I have a thing about houses next to street pavements! I like a bit of privacy...
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 446 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Do you people find work opportunities in these smaller places? I've only ever really worked in Manchester and London because so many firms base themselves in the bigger cities. Granted, you can be anything from a dentist to a barber in any part of the country - but so many occupations rely on a computer sat on a desk.
EastBrisHammer

Post by EastBrisHammer »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:40 am Do you people find work opportunities in these smaller places? I've only ever really worked in Manchester and London because so many firms base themselves in the bigger cities. Granted, you can be anything from a dentist to a barber in any part of the country - but so many occupations rely on a computer sat on a desk.
To be fair most places in England aren't that far from a big town or city. If you want to work for a blue chip company then maybe you need a big city but for most people that doesn't matter. Personally, I find a small or medium sized company much better to work for. Places like Devizies are not that far from Swindon, Chippenham, and Bath where there is plenty of work. Also an increasing number of people can work from home these days (which is what UTJ does I think).
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

KUMB must surely be UtJ's full time job?! KUMB towers!

That's reassuring. I fancy South Wales but am terrified I won't find a job and end up in retail or something. Some of the abuse I had from customers at Do It All or Littlewoods...
EastBrisHammer

Post by EastBrisHammer »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:08 am KUMB must surely be UtJ's full time job?! KUMB towers!

That's reassuring. I fancy South Wales but am terrified I won't find a job and end up in retail or something. Some of the abuse I had from customers at Do It All or Littlewoods...
We deal with a company in Swansea and they are based on a large trading estate where there are a lot of offices. Their MD had a top of the range Tesla car, which he loved showing off. And Cardiff has loads of companies. Rural South Wales is a bit different but if you don't mind commuting there is always some decent work around. And now the Severn Bridges are free it makes South Wales more accessible.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

OK. Cheers. Sounds promising. I'd not turn my nose up at anything if it pays a wage but feel a bit more suited to office work. Time to do some research.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

EastBrisHammer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:02 am Also an increasing number of people can work from home these days (which is what UTJ does I think).
btajim - mcfc wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:08 amKUMB must surely be UtJ's full time job?!
Correct on both counts, gentlemen. All I need is a viable broadband connection and I'm away. Though I am in the City (London, that is) maybe two or three times a month (not including WHUFC) so need a station not too many miles away.

That's why we've been looking in Norfolk (Norwich line), Suffolk, the Wolds (nearish Market Rasen) and Somerset. The latter (and some parts of the folks) seem to be the places on our list where that might be a problem.
EastBrisHammer

Post by EastBrisHammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:53 pm Correct on both counts, gentlemen. All I need is a viable broadband connection and I'm away. Though I am in the City (London, that is) maybe two or three times a month (not including WHUFC) so need a station not too many miles away.

That's why we've been looking in Norfolk (Norwich line), Suffolk, the Wolds (nearish Market Rasen) and Somerset. The latter (and some parts of the folks) seem to be the places on our list where that might be a problem.
North Wiltshire shouldn't be a problem. Chippenham is about 25 mins by car from Devizes and it is a major stop for the London train. Corsham is about 5 mins by car to Chippenham. Cirencester is about 30 mins drive to Swindon (which has the Bristol to London and Wales to London trains). Into Somerset things get more problematic as you probably have to change trains.

In some ways you have too much choice on where to live?! Have you thought about Hampshire and South Wiltshire just to complicate things? I think Sussex and Kent have been mentioned too.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

EastBrisHammer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:35 pmNorth Wiltshire shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks again EBH. That's helpful to know. :thup:
EastBrisHammer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:35 pmIn some ways you have too much choice on where to live?!
Yes... like having 100 TV channels instead of just three to choose from. Having great difficulty finding one we're entirely happy with... :)

Hampshire, why not... Love the area around the New Forest. Haven't even looked there yet!
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2603 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:39 am It's not bad but Wadworth's describe it as "a strong premium ale" but it's got an ABV of only 4.1%. There's stronger session ales out there.
Yes, I agree - I’ve been drinking 6X for donkeys years and back in the day it was one of the stronger drops, where your usual pub fayre was 3-3.5%.

In terms of places out west, some pals of ours have moved to a village called Chalford outside Stroud which is another decent area. Only about 20 mins from the M4, it took about 75mins to get there from here in Basingstoke.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2676 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

There are flights from Inverness Airport to both Luton and Gatwick .

Spread your wings a bit . :)

And as long as you replace the donkey every 6 months or so the internet should work fine most of the time .
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

Boss I live in Salisbury , anything I can do to help give me a shout
train is 40mins to Basingstoke, some shunt straight through to Waterloo
or you jump to Reading for Paddington
EastBrisHammer

Post by EastBrisHammer »

I'm doing a piss up in Salisbury for my birthday. I really like the place.

Btw UTJ I didn't realise, but Cirencester has Kemble train station 3 miles away which runs direct trains to London which take 1 hr 15 mins. Not that I work for Cirencester council or anything, honest guv, I just think it is a very nice town with plenty of amenities for its size (its less than 20,000 people) and on the edge of the beautiful Cotswolds.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

I worked in Cirencester for a few years a while back.

Nice little town centre , used to walk in a few times a week for lunch

I also regularly used to see a black taxi with a massive pair of crossed hammers on the back window!
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Cirencester is a lovely place.

When we move, I expect it to be that way or towards Suffolk.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Post by DrVenk »

Cirencester - my sister lives there. Gorgeous in parts - strikes me as a place to retire to. Very, very quiet. Weekends it feels like a ghost town.
Up the Junction wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:52 pm Hampshire, why not
Going North to South....

Fancy a pub lunch next to the common green watching a bit of cricket? Hartley Wintney is the place to be. Very twee. A couple of great pubs. Top curry house. Good transport connections into London from Hook/Fleet/Winchfield. A little bit pricey but some great properties there.

Farnham - just as twee, but a bit bigger. Direct line into Waterloo. Again, a bit pricey, but well catered for in terms of schools, shops, transport, and AONBs.

Moving into the South Downs proper, there are a little cluster of towns set within the AONB. If you draw a triangle from Selborne to Haslemere to Petersfield to Selborne again, you'll find some absolute gem of properties within the Pine Forests. Money will go further, and all the top golf courses, cycling routes, and the Queen Elizabeth Park are on top of you. Only problem here is that London access is via the Portsmouth line...and that's southern. It is easy to just drive over to Alton/Farnham though which is SW rail.