Christmas Watch 2019

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

kenthammer

Re: Christmas Watch 2019

Post by kenthammer » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:29 pm
Is that Christmas Movie channel?? Been on for over a ****ing month already.
Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas but there's a time and a place and it's called December!!
music channel crs all your xmas faves

Samba

Post by Samba » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:33 pm

dodgy dave wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:52 pm
I have also started my Christmas cupboard. First in are 4 boxes of matchmakers and a couple of Terry chocolate oranges thanks to Tesco only 75p each
Got 3 (? might be 4 cos they've got some/a new flavour) boxes of matchmakers but didn't get the mint ones because the entire supermarkets worth on the shelves, were about 6 months out of date. I put every single one in my trolley (at least 40 boxes!), found a supervisory type worker & gave them all to them to deal with! They might have been fine to eat but, even at 75p, why should people eat stuff that's out of date. If they had reduced them further to 50 or 25p I might have had one but I'm not sure that shops can sell stuff out of date, or perhaps THAT out of date. I do it all the time. And it's usually the same chain of shops, who I won't mention, Tesco's. I always manage to find whole shelves of stuff that's out of date & I always have to collect it all up & hand it in. It's become a compulsion. I guess a bit like Monkeyb's joke monitoring.
I didn't manage to get any choc oranges because the shelves had been ransacked by bargain hunters. Wasn't too bothered though.
On the subject of mint matchmakers, watch out what you store them next to indoors because they seem to transfer their minty charm to anything that they have been next to. I like mint but some people complain when their non-mint treats taste minty!

Samba

Post by Samba » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:37 pm

kenthammer wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:14 pm
music channel crs all your xmas faves
Don't get me started on the hell that is/are Christmas songs..
No, it's not the f*cking most wonderful time, of the year.

Chicken Run Supreme

Post by Chicken Run Supreme » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:50 pm

Just checked, Sky Channel 319 is Sony Christmas Movies and it's already been on for a month!

kenthammer

Post by kenthammer » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:59 pm

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:50 pm
Just checked, Sky Channel 319 is Sony Christmas Movies and it's already been on for a month!
369 enjoy

last.caress
Extreme w*nker
Location: Se incontri L'ultima.carezza, prega per la tua morte.

Post by last.caress » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:13 am

October, for me, is "hypocrite month" as far as Christmas goes. I think all grumbling complaints about Christmas goods being in shops "too bloody early" are perfectly valid; we shouldn't be thinking even remotely about Christmas until Halloween has been and gone. That said, I've already started buying presents for mrs.caress, she's already started buying presents for me and our Christmas cupboard currently contains two chocolate oranges, a box of Matchmakers, a tub of Quality Street (or Celebrations? I can't remember now. One of them, anyway) and two bottles of advocaat. Therefore: Hypocrite month. November is the time at which I can start to earnestly look into Christmas planning without feeling like I've bought once again into the retail industry's annual "Get it quick!" paranoia-inducing cynicism.

Decorations go up at casa.caress on December 1st, and come down on January 2nd or 3rd. Once the decs are up, festive music shifts from being avoided to being actively encouraged. Festive films are okay too but certain ones have to be kept closer to Christmas Day than others (for instance, Elf has to go on on Christmas Day; The Muppet Christmas Carol has to go on on Christmas Eve). We don't actually get the Christmas food out until Christmas day itself. We used to ensure we had enough Christmas fare to last us well into the first week of the new year but, really, that was just mental. It cost a fortune, we felt like ****, our teeth hurt, our guts ached, we'd pile weight on like we were training for ****ing SumoMania and we'd all be craving "normal" food whilst gagging on that last pile of mini Bounty bars you always end up with. These days we try to get enough in to eat like gluttonous Christmas piggies for two, maybe three days at most, although we still end up overestimating what we'll need. We improve on that a little bit each year but I'd always rather have a little too much than not quite enough at Christmas.

screech

Post by screech » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:51 am

On a weekend away in Wakefield and last night was **** shirt night, I wore a red shirt covered in Christmas pictures, safe to say I won due to the amount of wtf moments it's October why are you wearing that!

sendô

Post by sendô » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:16 am

claretandblue82 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:34 pm
You had a Netflix and Chill night and you actually watched Netflix! :lol:
When you're married, it's all netflix and very little chill. :(

Samba

Post by Samba » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:46 pm

sendô wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:16 am
When you're married, it's all netflix and very little chill. :(
Still, something to look forward to at Christmas :wink: that also comes but once a year..

mushy

Post by mushy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:55 pm

I never really think its Christmas until the Daily Mail runs a made up story that some politically correct local council has cancelled Christmas.
Its just not the same without it.

Whitters

Post by Whitters » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:23 pm

mushy wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:52 pm
I thought Selfridges had an all year round Christmas section.
I've just googled it and it opened on July 29th, a mere 149 days before christmas.....

S-H

Post by S-H » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:13 pm

Just booked our annual snowboarding holiday with the boys, bring on Christmas!! :scarfer:

warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:24 pm

last.caress wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:13 am
That said, I've already started buying presents for mrs.caress, she's already started buying presents for me
that's just avoiding extortionate next-day delivery costs and the inevitable delivery after 5 working days anyways though.

southbrishammer

Post by southbrishammer » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:06 pm

My kids watched Polar Express and Arthur Christmas over the weekend. Mrs SBH bought a pack of stuffing mix today. Only 2 1/2 months to go!

Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:16 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:37 am

On my way to work this morning - OCTOBER THE ****ING FOURTH - and the weird women in the office across the way were putting up the decorations.

NO! I WILL NOT TAKE THIS ****!
Ah. Whoops.

It appears that the mad bats weren't actually putting the tinsel up. They were just hanging the decs temporarily while they recorded Christmas greetings videos for their clients. Before you ask, it would appear that they were all fully clothed during the filming, which is frankly an Xmas blessing for all of us.

The decorations are back in the binbag, for at least another week.

pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:11 pm

I spotted one of a groups of kids on the way to school this morning wearing a Santa hat .... wrong’un!

FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:28 pm

Probably with a score of weed in the lining Pablo

OFT

Post by OFT » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:50 pm

I'm so grumpy about Christmas I'm not even getting Humbugs this year. :P

For all the years we've been married(43) I've cooked on Christmas Day, washed up etc.etc.(I'm so new man :shock:)until we ran out of parents able to attend 2 years ago.. We've been going to my eldest lads since then. I don't buy any presents other than for Her OFTness, who does everything shopping wise( she works in Tesco so, 10% discount and all that). I avoid anything to do with it until late on Christmas eve. I sort of get in the mood for it all then, Christmas day with the 'kids' and grandkids is the obvious highlight. After that, like to watch some 'crap' films, older the better black and white preferable. Bubble and squeak, nice pot of tea. We're an alcohol free zone at home.
I wouldn't decorate the house but Her Ladyship does.
I've always wanted to go abroad for Christmas but never managed it for one reason or another. Also I've never been to Church on Christmas eve. Now before you start to imagine all sorts of nonsense, I'm not a religious person, and Her Ladyship, who is actively involved in the Church from a community point of view, is an atheist. For all that it's something I'd like to do just once.
Last edited by OFT on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tenbury

Post by Tenbury » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:01 am

In the 90s,before the kids,etc, if I couldn't be on standby over Christmas, I used to rent a Transit van (in Kew, of all places), chuck a mattress,doss bag etc in the back and head for the Highlands. Parked up in a layby, I could walk for ages and never see anyone. Best Christmas ever.

iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:34 pm

Christmas lights are up on Hatton Garden area though they weren't switched on yet thankfully. I did see a woman in Xmas leggings though but that could have been cos she was dressed like a tramp and didn't care what she was wearing.

I am thinking of renting a cabin or something and spend Christmas in the middle of nowhere for several days.