External Hard-Drives

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

brothernero

External Hard-Drives

Post by brothernero » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:26 pm

My Missus for her 50th Birthday has asked for An External Hard-drive. But not really knowing much about these, I was hoping one of you tech guys here could give some advice on what ones are the best and most reliable.

She has these 2 earmarked. Both are 6TB. One is a Seagate and the other a WD Elements.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing ... 8-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing ... 0-pdt.html

In Advance, Thanks For any advice. :thup:

-DL-
Match thread guru

Re: External Hard-Drives

Post by -DL- » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:31 pm

Personally, I wouldn't rely one single large capacity device. If it fails, you've lost it all. I back up my pictures on 2 drives - a back up and a back up of the back up. The rest of my stuff I split between another 2 drives - a 2TB for movies, music, system back-ups etc. etc, and a 500GB for important documents.

Of course, it's horses for courses.

But, in answer to your question - they are both much of a muchness. Seagate used to be very reliable, as did WD - but recently I've had to return both brands when ones I've bought have developed errors, and the like for like replacement for the WD one also failed.

I'd edge towards Seagate, if pushed - and not just because it's the cheapest one.

But I'd seriously think about keeping all of your eggs in one basket so to speak. If you do, only plug it in when needed and not keep it connected permanently.

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:21 pm

Thank You D-L.

Have to confess I have never heard of WD Elements before, But have heard of Seagate.

One of the reviews on there (the seagate one) said that it took them 2 days to transfer 3TB of Music. Now I know I'm not the most clued up on these things but 3TB of music does seem an awful lot and surely would take quite some time to move.

THE reviews on the WD one seem more positive but on past experiences going on the reviews left on stuff like this does not always work out to well.

She does already have one ExHrDr, So is going to use her old one for the backup of must keep stuff.

PS Is there other brands you could/would recommend?

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:32 pm

WD were once known as Western Digital, so you may have heard of them.

There's not much between makers anymore. WD, Seagate, Samsung, Toshiba. They're the 4 main ones. Hitachi are WD, Maxtor are Seagate.

My main machine is predominantly Seagate & WD with a Samsung M2 Nand SSD as boot drive. Literally reads and writes at 1GB a second in the real world :shock:

My externals are Toshiba and Samsung.

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:48 pm

Think I may go for the Seagate one.

My own ExHrDr is of that make and has lasted me for a fair few years with no issues (touch wood) and I know my brother always has good words to say about them as well.

As always D-L, Many thanks for the feedback and advice. :thup:

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:18 pm

Have you considered sticking it in the cloud, much better than a USB drive that in the end will fail (it is just a matter of when) , prices are falling all the time.

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:48 pm

Hi Wolf, honestly no, like me she wont trust the cloud thingy at all. Plus ExHrDr's are a one off purchase whereas the cloud is yearly and imho ridiculously expensive, plus can be hacked. (also I might be wrong but doesn't the cloud only go up to 2TB's?)

Although good luck if hers were hacked, she has a billion Cat (no not that kind) photos to shift through. :D

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:51 am

As DL said , it's not a good idea to stick all your stuff on one 6TB drive .

I've got 3 drives for my photos , all Seagate .

One 2tb and two 3TB , I think my 3TB drives cost around £74 apiece .

I get why you'd think that a 6TB is good value for that money but in the long run it won't be [ unless you buy 2 to make copies ] .

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:56 am

p.s. I've just checked to see whether Amazon still stock those 3TB Seagate drives and they do , for the same price I paid for them , they're the older type so should be fine .

They have 6TB Seagate drives for £99 .

mushy

Post by mushy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:47 am

-DL- wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:31 pm
and a 500GB for important documents.

I take it you finally finished scanning in your 1970's Razzle collection then?

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:37 pm

I think I have my music, tv shows and movies spread across 5 hard drives.

not sure about the UK, but you cannot seem to buy anything less than 2TB's now - understandably.

I have a 500GB Lacie and the others are either WD or Seagate. I have a 1TB, 2TB, 3TB and 5TB

I had to have the hard drive replaced in my laptop as the OS wouldn't function. so I made them give my the old hard drive back as I could use it as an external. so I got that 1TB to use. they would have binned it no doubt or sold it on.

photos on 3 different drives. I can replace music, tv and films but not my photos. I would suggest doing something like that. as DL says there isn't much to go wrong on an external hard drive but it could happen. so anything you truly value I'd go ahead and put them on 2 different drives.

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:12 pm

"not sure about the UK, but you cannot seem to buy anything less than 2TB's now"

Over here you can but ones that go up 10TB's.

I think what many do is what my missus wants to do. Have two External HD's. One for backup and keeping all the essential stuff and the other to use for the less important stuff.

I had another look at the cloud prices this morning. £350 for 2TB's. No thanks, that is way way to expensive for something that can be hacked or crash or can (have I have read in the pass) just outright lose all your stored stuff on there. Also 2tb's in this day and age is not really enough storage for many people.

IMVHO.

Regarding the ExHdDr's longevity and if they break or not. This happened to a mate. His 2TB one stopped working so he took it to a repair shop. They said it cant be fixed but if he buys a new one they will take the disk that is inside out of the broken one & will transfer the stored content from that over to his new HD.

Cost him £40 and took 2 days.

Something like that anyway.

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:48 pm

mushy wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:47 am
I take it you finally finished scanning in your 1970's Razzle collection then?

You any idea how long it takes to get the pages apart?

mushy

Post by mushy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:14 pm

-DL- wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:48 pm
You any idea how long it takes to get the pages apart?
Sadly, yes I do.

fmgod

Post by fmgod » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:47 pm

As said I've got a few hard drives and cloud storage, does she really need 6TB? What is she backing up, 6TB seems a hell of a lot

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:48 pm

Music, Pictures, Cat Pictures, oh so many cat pictures, films ect.

I Guess she wants this to be the last EXHD she will have to purchase. 6TB is a lot agreed but having that much means she wont have to ever worry about it getting short of space.

I'm going to be getting myself a new one at the same time (hoping Black Friday will see some good deals) and will be getting a 4TB one. I also have a lot of films (cough, cough) that can go on there. :)

I asked the same question on another forum as I have asked here, and pretty much the same thing was said as you guys above. But one guy somewhat surprised me......

"Do what I do, Get a handful of External Hard-Drives, I have 10 in total at the moment. 4 2TB'S, 3 3TB'S, 2 4TB's and 1 6TB and all but the last is pretty full, going to get another couple of 4TB ones come new year"

:shock:

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:48 pm

Amazon have a Seagate 6TB for £99 just now - if funds could stretch to 2 x 6TB that's what I would do or buy 2 x 3TB at £74 apiece , whatever you do make sure you make copies . :thup:

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:50 pm

Cheers TOMOS. :thup:

I think Black Friday this year is on the 29th November. So I am Hoping there is some good deals to had.

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:29 pm

brothernero wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:50 pm
Cheers TOMOS. :thup:

I think Black Friday this year is on the 29th November. So I am Hoping there is some good deals to had.
I bought some headphones for myself on BF a couple of years back - they were £11 or something - they went up to £30 odd afterwards then a couple of weeks back I saw them for £10.99 again - it's worth checking prices now as opposed to waiting until Black Friday sometimes .
The TV I bought today has been £999 for months , then one weekend it was £949 - now Richer Sounds are offering a further £125 off making it £824 . It's a 2018 model so might be gone by BF .

6TB for £99 ain't bad at all .

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Post by Cuenca 'ammer » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:17 pm

my latest 5TB was 120 dlrs or so.

only ones I can find listed now are desktop - mine's a USB