The end of TOTS

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

The end of TOTS

Post by Up the Junction » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:22 am

It's been collectively known as Talk of the South, TOTS and Talk during the course of the last 50 years or so but the famous Lucy Road, Southend nightclub is to close its doors for good at the end of the year.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/179989 ... e/?ref=rss

Your highlights?

Mine include the stripper my pals hired for my 18th birthday and the night a hideously drunk companion once attempted to take on an in-his-pomp Nigel Benn...

sendô

Re: The end of TOTS

Post by sendô » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:58 pm

I thought it shut years ago to be honest.

psychoscoredthelot

Post by psychoscoredthelot » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:04 pm

the only highlights that place saw was in sharon and tracys hair

woodgreenspur

Post by woodgreenspur » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:20 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:22 am
It's been collectively known as Talk of the South, TOTS and Talk during the course of the last 50 years or so but the famous Lucy Road, Southend nightclub is to close its doors for good at the end of the year.
A lot of my mates in the 80s use to go there.It was about an hour's drive from where we were in Herts. Not my thing at all,but in it's own way it was quite an iconic venue in its day.

Never realised that where they got the name TOTS from,talk of the south.Better late than never i suppose :)

Heysel76

Post by Heysel76 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:12 pm

My mate took me & our 2 girlfriends, must've been about 1979-80.
His recently rebuilt Ford Anglia got nicked from the car park.
We attempted to walk home to his house at Upminster, along the A127.
I think we got as far as Rayleigh Weir thumbing (with no joy), before we had to give up & find a phone box to ring his old man, to pick us up!
Happy days :|

OK, i got this far & realised it was Zero 6 :oops:

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:42 pm

Heysel76 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:12 pm
Would've taken you just as long to walk home... :D

Benfleet Pete

Post by Benfleet Pete » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:18 pm

West Ham thumped 5 goals away to either Blackburn or Barnsley on a miserable Saturday afternoon. They showed the goals on the LWT tea time news as I was dabbing on the Kuros and getting ready to hit TOTS. I vividly remember Chicken George making a couple of mistakes in midfield resulting in a couple of the goals. When we got to TOTS and went to the bar, half the West Ham team that just got walloped were already there, including Georgie Parris. I let him know what I thought and he wasn’t happy. To this day, I’m still baffled how they managed to get there from the game so quick! It also occurred to me that during the game, most of them probably had that evening’s p*ss up on their mind.

V-M

Post by V-M » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:08 pm

Southend - TOTS
Basildon - Raquels
Chelmsford - Dukes

Many a memorable night at those places.

V-M

Post by V-M » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:09 pm

Nearly forgot Hollywoods in Romford as well.

Bend it like Repka

Post by Bend it like Repka » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:51 pm

Tots was the first club I ever experienced a proper laser show.

On the dance floor, when they made it flat and you could only see all the heads above the green mist layer.

I went all Bill and Ted.

Wooooough! Excellent!

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:35 am

Met Mrs Eggs in there in Jan 1998. The day we stuffed Barnsley at home 6-0......... a good day all round. :thup:

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:23 am

TOTS, Dukes, Hollywoods, club at Gants Hill (name)? if we were not at a dodgy rave, Thursday night was grab a granny at the Windmill at Goggeshall - think it was called that? Oscars at Clacton was a journey at the time, but was a cracking club as well.

Did not know "Talk of the South" was the meaning either until now!

They were magnificent times :scarfer:

oh and Laristos (sp) in Colchester was a good club as well.

Favourite from my hazed memory was probably the Windmill, was a club with very little agg and people just went out for a good time, of all the clubs listed that and laristos was the only club we didn't get thrown out at some point.

TOTS more than any was the white stiletto & highlight brigade, plus some real dodgy fashions.

Use to go up West a fair bit as well, Thursday through to Monday morning was just a blur, I get tired just thinking about it now :D

Denzil

Post by Denzil » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:05 am

Heysel76 wrote:
I think we got as far as Rayleigh Weir thumbing (with no joy), before we had to give up & find a phone box to ring his old man, to pick us up!

You should have reverted to the traditional fingering if you were getting to joy with the two ladies.

light n bitter

Post by light n bitter » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:51 am

Memory a bit hazy but used to have a drink in The Papillon before going out the back way then on to TOTS?

Heysel76

Post by Heysel76 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:00 am

I'll throw 3 others into the hat- Room at the top, Ilford, from memory there was just a lift up to the top.
Also the one in Romford, in a basement with a circular stainless steel dance floor....Secrets maybe??
& also the one above the bus garage in Hornchurch Road.
All death traps by todays standards

iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:27 am

Clacton-ammer wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:23 am
TOTS, Dukes, Hollywoods, club at Gants Hill (name)? if we were not at a dodgy rave, Thursday night was grab a granny at the Windmill at Goggeshall - think it was called that? Oscars at Clacton was a journey at the time, but was a cracking club as well.

Did not know "Talk of the South" was the meaning either until now!

They were magnificent times :scarfer:

oh and Laristos (sp) in Colchester was a good club as well.

Favourite from my hazed memory was probably the Windmill, was a club with very little agg and people just went out for a good time, of all the clubs listed that and laristos was the only club we didn't get thrown out at some point.

TOTS more than any was the white stiletto & highlight brigade, plus some real dodgy fashions.

Use to go up West a fair bit as well, Thursday through to Monday morning was just a blur, I get tired just thinking about it now :D
Gants Hill...must mean Faces.
Also, The Island in Ilford and 5th Avenue.
Epping Forest Country Club....though I had never been there but it was on the telly often and a few lads at college tended to go there 'avin it large'

Bend it like Repka

Post by Bend it like Repka » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:00 pm

Heysel76 wrote:

OK, i got this far & realised it was Zero 6
Me and my mate went with our other halves to Zeros, my one was designated driver. White Vauxhall Nova if I remember was the limo for the night.

Anyway, it was one of those nights where without aiming to, my mate and I just got utterly smashed. Just chatting, having a laugh, doing depth charges if I recall, we barely spoke to the girls all evening. Might as well have been a lads night out for all the company we were.

Chucking out time and barely showing their disdain at the state we were in, the girls hauled our butts into the Nova and set off for home. Having missed a turning on one of the A127 roundabouts, we did the whole loop round again with me laying on my back staring at the roof of the car. Now that is a perfect recipe for chunder time, luckily she managed to pull over just before I barfed all over the car. That classy moment when you head is poking out the back door while you pebble dash the rear wheel. We probably stopped about 5 more times for me or my mate to empty stomachs out along various Essex landmarks. Already unhappy girls now having journey time massively extended. After that I was later told we passed out in the back cuddling each other into unconsciousness. I'm sure if this story is told from the female perspective it would be to demonstrate how ****ing useless men are. :lol:

The rest of this story I'll have to rely on what was told to me, in not very loving terms I might add, at a later point.

I'm awoken by the single word "Home" being shouted at me. So I haul myself up, stare out the window to check, and then drag myself out of the car without saying a word, while shoving a £20 note to what I assume I believed was no more than a taxi driver. Off I went to bed and boy was I ill the next day.

You won't be surprised to know that even though the £20 caused a massive lecture about how little I clearly thought of her, I of course never got it back. :lol:

chigwells finest
Location: desperately seeking redemption from this west ham misery

Post by chigwells finest » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:21 pm

i was hoping this thread was all about the sudden demise of our friends from N17 . i'm very disappointed

EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:40 pm

V-M wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:09 pm
Nearly forgot Hollywoods in Romford as well.
Reckon there's a club in Hollywood called Romfords?

EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:43 pm

I hated TOTS, but was dragged there by mates throughout the 90s. First place I ever drank into double digit pints.