Social media shopping scams

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Big George

Social media shopping scams

Post by Big George » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:39 pm

Just wondered if anyone has fallen for any? I regard myself as fairly onlline savvy but I ordered a phone mount from the car from a firm called "dudevillage" on instagram. Cost me £15, never came, a quick google showed I'm not the only one to be scammed.

Any other brands to avoid? I keep getting offered ridicuslous deals by a company called "wish" on FB but they look dodgy from the start so have avoided

sendô

Re: Social media shopping scams

Post by sendô » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:55 pm

I ordered a book for £5.48 on 8 April 2019 from a company called Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

I've never received this book, but payment has been taken.

There's nothing on their website to allow me to complain or register it as undelivered.

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:01 pm

sendô wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:55 pm
I ordered a book for £5.48 on 8 April 2019 from a company called Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

I've never received this book, but payment has been taken.

There's nothing on their website to allow me to complain or register it as undelivered.
Was it via Amazon?

If so just go direct to Amazon, mate. They are pretty good with refunds, and issues like this.

sendô

Post by sendô » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:13 pm

It was and they're crap.

No link to report missing etc.

All I had was a notification it was delayed that went on for months, and all of a sudden it was just listed as a completed order.

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:19 pm

That's strange, I've had similar issues in the past, opened up a live chat or phoned them, and they have refunded the money within days.

Balhamite

Post by Balhamite » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:22 pm

Amazon are pretty good.

A couple of years ago I ordered about £40 worth of stuff for Christmas presents (4 or 5 items). Never received (I thought).

Complained to Amazon, they sent a complete replacement order without question/comment.

I found the original box of stuff at the back of a cupboard about 6 months later - I had obviously received and put it away quickly in a random place, then forgotten all about it.......

iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:00 pm

Amazon - We ordered a processor for a PC at work. We opened the box and it was a cheaper version inside. We told Amazon and posted it back immediately and got a replacement 2 days later. The 'Amazon EU Sarl' company is to do with Amazon's structure and is how they avoid paying gigantic tax sums but is legitimate for doing your shopping as far as I know.

Wish - Cheap tat. See Youtube reviews. They will say the RRP of something is £100 and are selling for £10. The Sports Direct tactic.

My mum's iPhone is probably riddled with spyware. She looks at particular shoes and handbags a lot on her phone. When she goes on Facebook or is just browsing generally she gets ad banners appears from sites where she normally looks at shoes and handbags. But the difference is that the prices from these ad banners are drastically lower. Whereas the real site may have a product at £59.99 down to £39.00, the ad banner would have £59.99 down to £15.00. The sites do look extremely similar but if you look carefully you will see that there are tiny differences. The real shoe site may be called lovely.com for example but the fake site will be called lovelyshoes.com.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:11 pm

I haven't used Amazon for years and won't as they don't accept Paypal.

I now refuse to use a credit card for purchasing items via the web (or anywhere, for that matter) since my account was charged £250 by a restaurant in Greenwich a few years ago whilst I was sitting at home in Benfleet.

I'm yet to come across something I need that can't be found on a store that accepts Paypal, or paid for with cash.

sendô

Post by sendô » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:11 pm

S-H wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:19 pm
That's strange, I've had similar issues in the past, opened up a live chat or phoned them, and they have refunded the money within days.
Have managed to find an email link.

Fingers crossed, I've got big plans for that £5.48.

That's almost a whole pint in London.

Dover KUMB fan

Post by Dover KUMB fan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:16 pm

Ordered a superb looking R2 D2 bin from the US of A from a facebook ad. Never got it, never got a reply from the contact us Email. Looks like they got loads of people as the amount of comments under the ad later on were pretty much saying it was a scam

stuboy

Post by stuboy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:37 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:11 pm
I haven't used Amazon for years and won't as they don't accept Paypal.

I now refuse to use a credit card for purchasing items via the web (or anywhere, for that matter) since my account was charged £250 by a restaurant in Greenwich a few years ago whilst I was sitting at home in Benfleet.

I'm yet to come across something I need that can't be found on a store that accepts Paypal, or paid for with cash.
The exact reason why I don't use Paypal. I had a couple of thousand come out of my account due to a Paypal hack, all transactions were under £100 so it didn't raise any flags with them. Took a couple of stressful months to get the money back.

Samba

Post by Samba » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:48 pm

I was promised 'a world class stadium for a world class team'.
I received neither.

pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:58 pm

Samba wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:48 pm
I received neither.
.... and I bet their is nothing on their website where you can raise this as an issue either, is there. 8-)

I always think that if it looks too good to be true then it’s probably best avoided as there will be some catch.

Buy cheap, buy twice!!

neathiron

Post by neathiron » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:05 pm

Samba wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:48 pm
I received neither.
:D very good.

RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:06 pm

Under the Consumer Credit Act you are covered on all credit card purchases over £100. If you pay with a debit card then you also have recourse under the Visa / Mastercard charge back facility.

Taking up your grievance with PayPal can be long and drawn out and if you are funding it via bank transfer offers you very little protection legally. You are simply hoping PP find in your favour.

I recently had a dispute with a merchant who I had paid via PP albeit linked to my amex. Only when I threatened PP with Amex did they escalate and get it resolved.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:34 pm

stuboy wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:37 pm
The exact reason why I don't use Paypal.
Been using it for 20 years and have never experienced a single problem. And unlike your bank account, you can limit how much you hold in it.
RichieRiv wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:06 pm
Taking up your grievance with PayPal can be long and drawn out...
Unlike trying to recover stolen funds from a bank account, you mean? :)

RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:02 pm

That's why I don't transfer money via bank transfer unless I know and trust the payee.

The level of protection afforded by debit and credit cards is very good. Of course nothing is 100% safe against fraud and card cloning, but again that's why credit cards are great. As long as you are disciplined enough to pay them off every month.

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:08 pm

I saw a scam on Facebook last week for a 700 quid camera for £65. I knew it was a scam, or at the very least dodgy, and I said to the wife, I'd risk it if I could, as the seller accepted Paypal, which really got me thinking. But an EOS 80D for £69 IS too good to be true. But am kind of regretting not trying it and paying with Paypal, because I wouldn't have lost anything long term - and for all I know, I could have got a camera for that....

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:10 pm

RichieRiv wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:02 pm
That's why I don't transfer money via bank transfer unless I know and trust the payee.
:thup:
RichieRiv wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:02 pm
As long as you are disciplined enough to pay them off every month.
Haven't owned a credit card for about 15 years now. Dreadful things.

I think my parents had it right, back in the day - save first, buy later. Unfortunately not everyone shares your level of discipline, Richie.

Shaftsbury Rd

Post by Shaftsbury Rd » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:40 pm

Big George wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:39 pm
Just wondered if anyone has fallen for any? I regard myself as fairly onlline savvy but I ordered a phone mount from the car from a firm called "dudevillage" on instagram. Cost me £15, never came, a quick google showed I'm not the only one to be scammed.

Any other brands to avoid? I keep getting offered ridicuslous deals by a company called "wish" on FB but they look dodgy from the start so have avoided
Wish - ordered a pair of Furygan gloves off of there (60% discount). Came a week later,chinese copy! :evil: Beware!