Best Ruby Murray?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

e17

Best Ruby Murray?

Post by e17 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:14 pm

Love a good lamb Dhansak, or a chicken pathia

What’s your favourite Ruby?

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Re: Best Ruby Murray?

Post by vietnammer » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:33 pm

When I used to live in Romford there was a a place in Gobions Ave. that did superb stuff whatever you chose. Pakistani place in Saudi did a brilliant Karai Gosht (spelling?) from a limited menu. I miss the 'Mattam Macca'. 20 quid would sort out a table of 5 with bottomless fresh bread and salad. Got back into Korma these days.

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:31 pm

Vindaloo in Goa.

None of that overpowered, supercharged nonsense they make in places here to satisfy the egos of foolish people who don't enjoy flavour.

Best one I ever had was on the beach. Cost about a quid. Hot and sour deliciousness.

Samba

Post by Samba » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:53 pm

fjthegrey wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:31 pm
None of that overpowered, supercharged nonsense they make in places here to satisfy the egos of foolish people who don't enjoy flavour.
This is true. I'm not quite sure what the point is (apart from trying to prove how 'hard' you are) when it's so hot that you can't taste anything. Although we do all have different senses of taste, apparently.
This thread is going to keep making me hungry.
Recently I've been into Chicken Tikka Biryani.

jevs

Post by jevs » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:32 am

Chicken tikka dhansak....love it. Slightly sweet, medium hot, semi-dry sauce.
Served with mushroom rice and peshwari naan and a large bottle of cobra.

sendô

Post by sendô » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:07 am

So it looks like I'm going to be having a ruby tomorrow now.

Anyway, I like to alternate a bit. Biryani, Massala, Madras, Bhuna, Jalfrezi, Ceylon, Rogan Josh.

Vindaloo I like too, but as FJ said it's no good if it's ridiculously hot and has no flavour.

I used to have a recipe for a beef curry that a Sri Lankan bloke I worked with gave me that was fantastic. Sadly I lost the recipe a while ago.

S-H

Post by S-H » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:12 am

One of the best curries I've had was recently, and it was vegan. ****ing delicious.

old fart

Post by old fart » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:23 am

I get confused when people say they like or eat masala which means a mixture of spices or sauce without determining what spices have gone into it, for example the obsequious tandoori chicken tikka masala is chicken in an indeterminate sauce which is why it varies so much from restaurant to restaurant

A proper goan vindaloo (from the Portuguese garlic and vinegar) doesn't have to be hot but is coloured by mild Kashmir chilli to give it it's deep red hue, the 8 pint vindaloo served by most Indian restaurant is miles away from the fragrant and sour original

My favourite is a plateful of tandoori lamb chops , a skewer or 2 of tikka chicken freshly made plain naan bread (plenty of it) and a bowl of spicy masala with plenty of cardamom and fenugreek to dip into, with crispy onion bhagees and mint sauce

old fart

Post by old fart » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:28 am

S-H wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:12 am
One of the best curries I've had was recently, and it was vegan. ****ing delicious.
Vegetarian or Vegan, Indian or Asian cooking is the go to food, brilliant variety

Ralph Mellish

Post by Ralph Mellish » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:02 pm

I can't take the hot stuff any more as it upsets my guts so it's:
Sheek kebab
Lamb? Bhuna
Pilau rice
Bombay pots
Plain naan

A couple of pints of Carlsberg Hof was nice but seems to have disappeared so I'll have whatever they've got.
Prices gone up and portions gone down over the last few years, and I'm struggling to find a decent one round my way now.

iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:15 pm

I do love a curry. But my favourite are Malaysian style curries. My mum and my uncle can do quite decent versions though my mum's can be hit and miss. Another curry I love is Beef Rendang. I have only had this half a dozen times in my life. I have no recollection of when I first had it but I remembered the name of it and that I absolutely loved the taste.

I only remember the 2 most recent occasions where I have eaten it. I had it in some West End place off Shaftesbury Avenue around 4 years ago but found it was too dry without much sauce. I remembered the version I had it was swimming in flavour. And in the summer I tried it again in the Arcade at Liverpool Street. It was lovely but still wasn't how I remembered it. I might have to make a conscious effort to hunt down an excellent version of this dish. It is odd that I have no memories of the other initial times I tried this dish though. Maybe I dreamt it all up in my head. :eh:

Danny's Dyer Acting

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:50 pm

I just love all of them. From all of the countries that knock them out.

This may change by next weekend. Having just got back to the UK (and having previously lived in a city of 3m people with one passable place for a curry) I'm currently booked in to see various people tonight, Monday, Tuesday and next Friday. With varying qualities of indian restaurants on the docket for all of them :thdn:

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:52 pm

old fart wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:23 am
A proper goan vindaloo (from the Portuguese garlic and vinegar) doesn't have to be hot but is coloured by mild Kashmir chilli to give it it's deep red hue
Yeah this is what I was talking about.

It has this sort of transluscent, ethereal petroleum-like appearance.

It's absolute dynamite, without the explosive heat!

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:11 pm

Our usual curry is a Rogan Josh but I tried a Madras once from our Indian Restaurant in Kyle and it was one of the nicest curries I'd ever tasted .

We then discovered that an Indian Restaurant in Elgin had won a ' Best Indian Restaurant In Scotland ' award so we went there when her sister and husband were with us recently - we ordered Rogan Josh but it came as something crossed between a masala and a korma , the bhuna looked more like what we call a ' rogan ' , nonetheless the food was very nice [ just not what we expected ] .

The VERY BEST curry I have ever tasted was a home made Thai Chicken Curry that Jen once made , heaven on a plate it was , she followed some online Nigel Slater recipe which involved quite a few fresh ingredients but boy was it worth it .

Dover KUMB fan

Post by Dover KUMB fan » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:33 pm

The Kashmiri in Canterbury does a chilli chicken Naga that is just.....beautiful. Hot without removing the surface of your tongue, but just a great flavour.

sendô

Post by sendô » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:39 pm

This thread is pissing me off now.

Bloody hank marvin over here.

Monkey Mike

Post by Monkey Mike » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:26 pm

Lamb tikka naga is my go to at the minute, but love most curries other than the overly sweet ones. Quite often I'll share a chicken tikka korai with the missus, but have a side of vegetable jalfrezi for a hit of heat with the beautifully flavoured korai. Always with vegetable rice and a bhaji, then normally finish off whatever bread's left mopping up the sauce.

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:51 pm

Monkey Mike wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:26 pm
Lamb tikka naga is my go to at the minute, but love most curries other than the overly sweet ones. Quite often I'll share a chicken tikka korai with the missus, but have a side of vegetable jalfrezi for a hit of heat with the beautifully flavoured korai. Always with vegetable rice and a bhaji, then normally finish off whatever bread's left mopping up the sauce.
Agreed on the sweet ones , no thanks -

We were holidaying in Alnwick a few years back and were just coming out of one of the local supermarkets [ tesco probably though not sure ] when I asked a local if he could recommend an Indian Take Away - he told us the best one was in Shilbottle which was around 5 miles in country so off we went to look for it - we drove to Shilbottle but saw no sign of an Indian Take Away so went to the local pub instead , one of those half price drinks at 5.30-7pm places so it was quite busy - I asked the bar maid if there was an Indian Take Away nearby ' Oh yes , not far , down the road a bit ' and she gave me some further directions - after finishing our drinks we went in search of a curry - it was down a country lane off Shilbottle , a strange and wonderful looking place with one of those ranch-like gateways overhead with a huge sign ' The Rajah ' [ or something similar ] on top - anyway I ended up ordering a Ceylon Chicken Curry , got back to the house we were staying at and took a bite - tasted of banana , a very sweet banana at that . Yuk !
Went back a couple of years later to find it had closed down .

Think it reopened again since under a new name

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:23 pm

I never need a menu whenever go into an Indian. I always have the same thing every time:-

Poppadum's to start, with the relish tray

… and for the main course:- Either chicken or lamb madras, with the full monty, Peshwari, or plain nan, pilau rice and onion bhaji's

Gut buster and ****ing gorgeous. Writing this, it is making my ****ing mouth water, so that's my dinner sorted for tonight

FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:01 pm

I love a decent bhindi with chilly as a side, but it is so hit and miss, had a cracking one in Sandhurst last month that hit it perfectly where the okra was lightly charred on the edges and a cracking flavour, It seems most houses now go for the sloppy slimy version