Best Ruby Murray?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

fjthegrey

Re: Best Ruby Murray?

Post by fjthegrey » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:02 pm

S-H wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:37 pm
Just ordered ourselves one.

****ing love a ruby.

:scarfer:
Yep, I'm sitting in one now having a cobra waiting to pickup.

Get the **** in!!!

fmgod

Post by fmgod » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:46 pm

Lahore or Tayabbs if I go London, or Kushi in Gidea Park is decent and BYOB.

Dish wise I normally try to go for different things, I like a Jalfrezi but it depends on the venue sometimes it's palatable othertimes it's blindingly spicy

Polaroid

Post by Polaroid » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:35 am

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:31 pm
There's two Gurkha curry places near me in Maidstone. Believe me, it's the best curry I've ever tasted. Easily better than the usual Bangladeshi fayre that you get in your average Indian.
I think it must have been one of these that I went in last Christmas GCRO, near Maidstone West station. Loved it and beats most Indians down here in Devon.
That's the last restaurant that I've had a curry in as Freewheeling put up a top recipe in an old thread that lead me to a forum all about home cooked curries. Learnt alot and the waistline has vastly increased since :)

FreeWheeling

Post by FreeWheeling » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:21 pm

:thup:
If you have the time and can be arsed, make a batch of BIR curry gravy, you can cook most wet dished from that, its the spice blend at the start that is different for each ruby
and dont cook it in a non stick pan, plain steel is excellent and you want the curry to caramelise on the outside

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:49 pm

Polaroid wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:35 am
I think it must have been one of these that I went in last Christmas GCRO, near Maidstone West station. Loved it and beats most Indians down here in Devon.
That's the one. "Gurkha Kitchen" it's called and it's excellent. There's one round the corner near Maidstone East station and that is superb too. Really spoilt round here when it comes to Indians.

WHU Independent

Post by WHU Independent » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:40 pm

ordered my favourite Friday - please see post above - eat half, just got in from being out all day and just polished off the second half. It tasted belter than it did of Friday, and Friday it was wonderful.

The tomato, potato and spice dish is called Chinde Pole' btw - scrumptious.

Polaroid

Post by Polaroid » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:41 am

FreeWheeling wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:21 pm
:thup:
If you have the time and can be arsed, make a batch of BIR curry gravy, you can cook most wet dished from that, its the spice blend at the start that is different for each ruby
and dont cook it in a non stick pan, plain steel is excellent and you want the curry to caramelise on the outside
Cheers FW.
It was the phrase BIR (British Indian Restaurant) that I didn't understand so googled it and it led to curry-recipes forum. Must have read stuff on there for hours.
I could be arsed and I had the time so made a batch of gravy using 3kg's of onions. If the hob is gonna be on for 4 hours it might as well be worth it :D
Partially pre-cooked 2kg's of chicken breast and thighs and about 1.5kg's of lamb shoulder then proceeded to fill up half the freezer. To say the Mrs wasn't happy is a tad of an under statement (veggie, non curry loving philistine).
I bought a wooden handled aluminium frying pan off amazon for about 14 quid and it works a treat, definitely the right way to go, nothing like sticky crud on your' pan!
That one particular post of yours, i think it was on the long ago recipe thread, has led me down a wormhole that I'm overchuffed to be down. For that, I salute you Sir.

Polaroid

Post by Polaroid » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:49 am

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:49 pm
That's the one. "Gurkha Kitchen" it's called and it's excellent. There's one round the corner near Maidstone East station and that is superb too. Really spoilt round here when it comes to Indians.
Which one is best in your opinion GCRO? I'm around Maidstone at Christmas and will book one of them. Kin'ell, I'm hungry.

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:31 am

Had my first Indian down Brick Lane after the Newcastle game.

City Spice I think was called. Best Indian I've had in yonks. :thup:

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:39 am

Polaroid wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:49 am
Which one is best in your opinion GCRO? I'm around Maidstone at Christmas and will book one of them. Kin'ell, I'm hungry.
That's a real tough one. The other place is imaginatively called "Gurkha Restaurant" and it's on Week Street opposite the Wetherspoons so if you're going for a gargle that would be a good option. If you're going for a sit down then "Gurkha Restaurant" just shades it but not by much, but it's relatively small and its heaving in the evening, every evening it's that good. If you want takeaway then "Gurkha Kitchen" is the one to go for. Either way, you won't go wrong with either.

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:48 am

I love an Indian, food of gods.

If you haven't tried Nepalese cuisine, do it, a different take on your normal Indian food, more aromatic for me, plus I think the main difference is they do not use cream and very little sugar, so the food/taste is more natural.

3times

Post by 3times » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:45 am

jevs wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:32 am
Chicken tikka dhansak....love it. Slightly sweet, medium hot, semi-dry sauce.
Served with mushroom rice and peshwari naan and a large bottle of cobra.
My normal 'go to' if I can't decide (without the naan). Sometimes swap out the mushroom rice for coconut rice and always add a sag paneer.

EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:10 am

fmgod wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:46 pm
Lahore or Tayabbs if I go London, or Kushi in Gidea Park is decent and BYOB.

Dish wise I normally try to go for different things, I like a Jalfrezi but it depends on the venue sometimes it's palatable othertimes it's blindingly spicy
Yeah, Lahore is great. Tayyab's always too busy, so we usually go to Needoo round the corner. Mostly just go to Tooting now as it's local to us - similar style to the Pakistani spots in Whitechapel.

But i'll have whatevers on offer. It's pretty hard to get a truly bad curry these days. Even Brick Lane is fine if you're hammered.

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:36 pm

Clacton-ammer wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:48 am
I love an Indian, food of gods.

If you haven't tried Nepalese cuisine, do it, a different take on your normal Indian food, more aromatic for me, plus I think the main difference is they do not use cream and very little sugar, so the food/taste is more natural.
Gurkha / Nepalese is the same thing and yes, it does taste more natural and not as oily as most Bangladeshi Indians.

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:39 pm

"Shall we get a Saag Alo as well?"

"Nah not tonight I'm not that hungry"

Haha, b*llocks to that! Tactically purchased, uneaten Saag Alo for lunch today, yet more win for FJ.

sendô

Post by sendô » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:59 pm

Reheated curry is probably the best breakfast food in the world.

S-H

Post by S-H » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:03 pm

I could happily eat a curry every night.

Monkey Mike

Post by Monkey Mike » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:05 pm

sendô wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:59 pm
Reheated curry is probably the best breakfast food in the world.
:thup: My missus never eats all that she orders so I always have it the next day.

jastons

Post by jastons » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:24 pm

I thoroughly recommend this book by Dan Tombs

Danny's Dyer Acting

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:44 pm

This thread has reminded me, I was listening to a podcast with a prominent brummy (won't say who as it'll colour opinions even more than the next statement) recently and she said that you can't get a decent curry in London.

Nearly smashed my phone in anger. The cheek of it!